Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm glad Bowles stepped in and clarified this.......needed to be done.

still don't like the approach of an incumbent, who hasn't earned incumbent status tho.
    think the message to Geno and the team should be about having to earn the job, not about defaulting into it.
    but Bowles comments make it a little easier to digest i guess.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

awesome and how many wins came w/ that extension? Fitz's #s improved but he didn't help his teams win which is all that matters.

3. BacktoQueens

Wins are a function of the entire team and coaching staff.

to relate Wins solely on the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the QB, is really lazy and misinformed.

The 1985er likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And that proves my point even further.

Rattle off some of the players he played with on offense.

5. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

6. nyjunc

Houston was 6-6 w/ Fitz last year, 3-1 w/o him. He had talent to win in Buffalo, he had talent to win last year in Houston yet the most wins he led a team to in a single season was 6 wins(and has never led a team to more wins than losses in a single season). is it all on the QB? Nothing is ever all on one player but he has not been able to help his team win. what is lazy and misinformed is to look at individual fantasy #s and ignore the important #s- wins and losses.

7. nyjunc

some really good talent-

Stevie Johnson
    Marshawn Lynch
    TO
    Fred Jackson
    Lee Evans
    CJ Spiller
    Scott Chandler
    Donald Jones- had to retire b/c of health, was good, young player

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's not the point. This discussion isn't about wins but productivity in which Fitz was best under Gailey AND the Texans HC. He was not the same QB when he was drafted by the Rams and went to the Bengals.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Whoa Whoa....The front office there gave Fitzpatrick the $60 M contract extension that was strongly backloaded and a decision they immediately regretted and one in which everyone knew he didn't deserve.

If we are using that as a basis for their "success" together... yikes

(He only really got a $10 m signing bonus and 1 year with contract at $2.8 m anyway.. When the salary jumped to $4.2 m.. relative peanuts for starting QBs anyway they immediately cut him)

10. 101GangGreen101

He got an extension for a reason, of course at that time I was laughing at that extension (I still believe he didn't deserve it). However, his play on the Bills compared to his previous 2 teams is night and day. Not saying he deserved it, but he got that deal.

11. BacktoQueens

U are still talking about team results, not the performance of the individual player..

12. nyjunc

Productivity w/o wins is meaningless.

what did the individual player do to help his team win? were they making all the plays and the D consistently blowing it?

13. BroadwayAaron

• Stevie Johnson has had three 1,000 yard seasons... they all came with Fitz as the solidifed starter. He hasn't reached 600 yards in any other year of his career.
    • Marshawn Lynch only started 6 games in Fitz's first year, then only played in 4 total the year after that. Nice try.
    • TO? As in Terrell Owens? Who played one year with the Bills... 2009... where Fitz started 8 games?
    • Fred Jackson I'll never say a bad word about.
    • Lee Evans is the definition of average. He's had one 1,000 yard season and his numbers with Fitz (2 years) are maybe 100 yards shy of his numbers without.
    • Since when is Spiller anything other than a flash in the pan who is better suited in a split backfield?
    • Scott Chandler is about as middle of the pack as it gets for a TE.
    Bad post by you.

14. BrowningNagle

that's not true either. He just didn't play much in STL or CIN because they had better options because he's a backup QB. In Buffalo he got more of an opportunity because they didn't have anyone else that was any good. He played as good as a backup QB plays...They then stupidly extended a backup QB, with a strongly backloaded deal they couldn't wait to get out of

15. nyjunc

Johnson has also not been healthy post Fitz.

Lynch played 17 games in the year and a half w/ Fitz

TO was still talent

Evans was a 1,000 yd WR in 2008, Fitz took over in 2009 and he never hit 1,000 again.

Spiller is a TD waiting to happen whenever he touches the ball. Defenses have to respect his play making ability, his biggest issue has been health. He only missed one game while Ryan was in Buffalo.

Chandler is a quality TE, nothing special but a nice target.

Poor excuses by you. He had more than enough talent to succeed, meaningless fantasy #s do not impress me. The # that I look at is never being above .500 and never winning more than 6 games as a starter.

16. nyjunc

he's a good backup, I LOVE having him as a backup. if he has to be the primary starter we aren't going to be a playoff team.

Rictor33 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I know I shouldn't waste my time on this, so I'll make it short and sweet.

Lynch was in and out of favor with the entire coaching staff, which is why his carries were cut MORE than in half in 2009. That's on Fitz?

Evans was a 1,000 yard WR in 2008... but was never one before that or after that. Laughable statement there.

Spiller is a TD waiting to happen... I don't think any words are necessary.

In conclusion: you still can't comprehend that wins are on a team, not an individual.

FlaJet and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Marc Bulger only played 8 games the year Fitzpatrick was drafted, Fitz did play sparingly, he started 3 games (4TDs: 8INTs). He was on the team the next season where Bulger played 16 games. If the Rams believed Fitz could eventually be a starter, they would've kept him. That was not the case.

Palmer was in Cincy at the time, but in 2008 - Fitz started 12 games w/ 8 TDs and 9 INTs. Same rule applies here, Fitz leaves the Bengals to join the Bills for an opportunity to start. He was better with the Bills / Texans then any other team.

I am not saying he deserved the contract, but it's clear the guy improved w/ his 3rd team.

19. 101GangGreen101

No, it's not. He clearly showed improvement with the Bills. That again, is full proof evident by the extension - wherever he deserved it or not.

The guy was more productive with the Bills / Texans then any other team.

20. BrowningNagle

exactly. everywhere he goes teams look at him as a backup QB because he is. Except Buffalo who gave him that contract that everyone laughed at and they regretted it weeks later

that's supposed to be encouraging?