I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

consistent at what? getting beat in coverage.

im all for singing a veteran to a 1M contract or so for strictly leadership reasons... but 7.5M for leadership is idiotic, especially when he isnt a 3 down player.

this is one signing i just think ill never get over

2. roger

roger Active Member

Agree. Made. O sense to give Harris that money.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

he is a 3 down player.. always has been.
    think he's played more snaps than any other MLB over the last few years.

all 3-4 ILB's will get beat in coverage when faced with a mis-match over the middle.
    that's a fact you do not seem to grasp.
    it doesn't make him a 2 down player.

what he does do very well is shake off offensive lineman, pick correct running lanes, tackle hard and with consistency, blitz/pash rush, call the defense, and yes even cover. then throw in the intangibles of leadership, blue collar hard work, and the ironman qualities that make him a reliable player day in and day out. when was the last time he missed even a practice?
    that my friend, is a multi dimensional player if i've ever seen one.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The only thing Harris can cover is screen passes, outside of that he's pretty much useless in coverage. You're correct on all of the other things he does well as he's the perfect 3-4 strong side inside linebacker to eat up blockers, shed them and make the tackle. However he is much more of a liability than that of say a Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Navorro Bowman, Derrick Johnson, or Karlos Dansby are. I would guess he ranks near the bottom of the league of inside linebackers in coverage.

That doesn't make him an ineffective player in other aspects of his game, and he could flourish in this defense as many defensive backs will be used limiting the need to ask a player like Harris to cover at all.

I didn't want to bring him back but our new regime must've weighed the positives versus the negatives of keeping him. There was virtually not one free agent out there that could've filled his position effectively and cutting him would've meant moving inside backer to the top of the list of needs. Even looking at next year's free agents, Derrick Johnson will be 34 by the middle of next season (after he signs a new deal), Brandon Spikes is the same type of player but worse at it and Rolando McClain and Bobby Wagner are 4-3 sideline to sideline guys.

Next year I would imagine we look to pickup a backer in the draft/hope Erin Henderson blossoms into a good player for us.

5. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

6. PabloJa

7. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

8. PabloJa

Yeah, it was, can you believe it? People questioning his work ethic because of that one play are plain stupid. There may be some salary cap issues which would justify him being let go, but lack of work ethic and commitment never, no way.

9. PabloJa

We get it, man, you hate Harris' guts and you hate him being overpaid but knock it off already, every post from you since his contract extension has been about it, it's annoying.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand the hate either...he acts like David Harris is useless and has sucked for years. neither are true.

He's been the anchor of our defense for years, in fact, literally his whole career and he does a nice consistent job...Picks up his lunch pail, goes to work, and goes home. Makes no noise, never gets in trouble, makes plays we expect him to make.

I don't get the hate on Harris. Think they paid a bit too much? Ok that's fair (altho I don't agree), but really it's not the end of the world.

Not looking at total contract $ and looking at guaranteed money (which is what should be looked at) of $15M over 3 years (5M per year), the contract really is not even that bad to begin with. It's not like he's taking home 10M guaranteed per season. The guy is getting 5M per year over 3 years. Is that really back breaking?! On one hand Jets fans will get mad bc we won't show loyalty and resign Mo...Yet David Harris a career and productive Jet gets 5M per year for 3 years and people can hardly handle it, turn into white girls at starbucks and can't even right now.

#150 TurkJetFan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    tiger8mush, PabloJa and themorey like this.
  11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he is a mismatch covering anyone, not just elite TEs or slot WRs. ANYONE. and no, he isnt a 3 down player... he has played 3rd downs, which is a big reason we have struggled their at times. because he is a liability in coverage. it was a terrible signing

12. TurkJetFan

The MLB is not supposed to cover a TE or slot WR. If he is, it's a mismatch no matter WHO the MLB is. That is the safeties job. That has been the liability since they are supposed to pick up that coverage. His job is to shadow backs out of the backfield (depending on the play call).

Almost ALL MLB's are liabilities in coverage. If you MLB is covering TE's or slot receivers they will be targeted and lose 99% of the time.

13. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

Opposing QB's had a 78.8% completion percentage against David Harris, by far the worst of any LB in the league.

14. TurkJetFan

The issue is, was the safety support that is supposed to be there faulty, so teams took advantage? Especially considering we had no CBs and safeties were likely helping in coverage there, leaving Harris on an island which he should not be. Combined with Pryor being a rookie and out of position.

It's not that straight forward.

PabloJa likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Where did you get the rankings and can you post evidence to back your claim?

I have a feeling he's not the worst in the league without looking at stats.

PabloJa likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I've been following your argument on the relation of the Qb position to the contracts for current players that will have to be extended, redone, trade the players, or cut them. I get the point that even if the Jets draft a Qb in the first round next year, that player will not become a big cap number for a few more years.

But what if as is likely there does not appear to be a solid Qb prospect, even in the first round? What if instead a vet Qb can be obtained in a reasonable trade, but comes with a big salary?

The point is you can't rely on the draft to solve the Qb situation, at least not just by next off season.

Other points - I like Harrison, partly because he does not make as much as Wilkerson is likely to demand. It's not a simple Harrison or Wilkerson equation.

Imo Ferguson will likely restructure his contract. That is one piece I am relatively optimistic about.

17. 101GangGreen101

My hopes is that we draft one in 2016 draft. There are scenarios in which there is a possibility of acquiring a FA QB. Your scenario as well is valid, I guess it depends on the QB. Cam Newton? I am not so sure about paying Cam large sums of cash. The one scenario I would follow is Russell Wilson. If by some crazy chance he's available via FA, then it would definitely cost 100M to get him. Even so, I have a hard time giving a QB that much money right this moment.

I don't see many 100M QBs winning SBs, I think Eli and Brees were the only ones to accomplish this feat in this era. Tom Brady doesn't make nearly as much as we think as he takes pay-cuts and restructures all of the time.

Damon Harrison is replaceable, Wilkerson is a top 5 defensive lineman in the league, he's 10x harder to replace. Wilkerson and Richardson, the way they play together is essential IMO to the team's defense and future.

18. BacktoQueens

yeah total bullshite here dude.
    your % is wrong, and it was not even near the worst. not to mention it's a terrible stat for LB's, as its a very high percentage play.

Rolondo McClain let up 86% completion percentage to opposing QB's.
    i signal him out only because JerseyJay keeps mentioning him as the great signing we missed out on.

Lattimore, our backup 'coverage' LB had 88% completion percentage to opposing QB's.

it's means nothing. but at least get your facts straight if you plan on using that to support your claim.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

lmao, so the reason the team struggled on 3rd downs is Harris?

we had a lot of problems with our defense last year, Harris was not one of them. He was a positive. it was not a terrible signing.

the fact you think Brandon Spikes is an equivalent player tells me all i need to know.
    doesn't matter to you there was literally no market for Spikes, while Harris had a line of teams inquiring.
    you are wrong on this, and you don't have to look farther than the FA market (where teams show their cards) to see that.

if you wanted to complain the guaranteed portion was too high based on age, that would be a much better argument than pretending the guy has sucked for years, which is flat out inaccurate and obnoxious.

PabloJa and TurkJetFan like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]