Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My mistake, I misinterpreted your comment. I think these coaches will mostly be focused on getting the first team up to speed with the new systems and position battles for spots that aren't settled like they've declared the QB position to be. There are many examples of QB's being anointed the starter before the season eventually being replaced and outplayed by the second string guy. How did the coaching staffs somehow miss that?

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, I guess in your mind, that never would have happened if there was the head to head "competition" you seem to need. In the real world, it's more of someone responding to coaching better than the other or reaching a plateau or regressing while another continues to progress or developing chemistry with receivers or one guy not getting past the mental hurdles of the game or injuries affecting the outcome. It's not magic, there is no black and white, just all those shades of gray that wax and wane with every changing day. Call me stupid, but I think Bowles and Gailey know what they're doing.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

As if QB competitions don't happen in the real world. Handing Geno the starting job is a travesty.

Big Blocker and FlaJet like this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Somewhat surprising, but if Geno stinks it up and Fitzpatrick looks good, I don't he'll be starting for very long.

It's not like this regime has any ties to him

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You did hear the story about how Geno's raw talent dragged Gailey off his couch and back into coaching after a two year retirement.

Somebody likes him besides Truthbetold...or whatever his fuggin' name is.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We've heard all the excuses for why what Gailey said was actually just great from that small percentage of Jet fans who, for some reason, think whatever the current FO and CS do and decide, they are beyond criticism. Until of course those guys fired/leave and then the new group comes in. Hey, I've loved a lot of moves by the new guys, too. But NOT the handling of the Qb position.

Also count me as unimpressed by the argument that Smith should be handed the starting job because all the other Qb's on the roster suck. Or have no upside, or whatever criticism you want to make of them. Petty's too young, you name it. So? If they're that bad, what's the downside to letting Smith show he's the best, and then SURE we'll all be on board with making the most of what's on the roster, and if that means Smith, well so be it.

Instead this move smacks of pride, and I hate to say that. Especially because we all know this CS had nothing to do with picking Smith and sticking with him the last two awful years (except of course when they did not, but that's a digression).

Since I can't see the logic in any other justification, and that includes the "let's pump up Smith's confidence level" argument - Smith does not need more self confidence playing his game, he needs to have a better and different game - it has to be something else.

Maybe Gailey thinks he can make it work with Smith, and if he does he looks like a genius.

Now that makes sense in a certain self-referential way, if you want to call it sense.

But good luck with that. The odds are against you.

But then they also probably figure that Woody, the players, the media, and the fans will cut them some slack if Smith fails and htey go in another direction.

Not if it means tanking the coming season, I dont think they have THAT much slack. Or at least they shouldn't, not in my book.

The Jets had lots of cap money coming into this season. They have a potentialy top 3 Defense, an above average corps of wideouts, and probably another top 3 or 5 running game. The OL is potentialy decent as well. TE"s probably average. The only thing that would keep this team out of the playoffs is Smith, and if he does, if the Jets lose too many games early in the season, then that is on the new guys, and that would be really too bad.

FlaJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He gives us the best chance to win.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I said this in another thread thinking it was this one... but what was Fitz before Gailey coached him? He was a turd. Just like Geno is. It's crazy what a system will do for a QB. I'm not saying Geno is going to turn into a pro-bowl QB, but there's proof in the pudding when it comes to Gailey's offense.

9. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Yep, you shouldn't criticize unless you have a better plan, which, of course, you don't.

and, since you asked about my feelings about the Billis firing Gailey... "don't rightly give a fuck!"

10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

And there lies the problem..In one sentence you say you shouldn't criticize and in the next U don't give a f#ck.
    You can say the whole board is one big "kumbaya" or one big critique by both sides. While I respectfully disagree with you I respect your feelings and your love for our Jets.

Clark Gaines likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

agreed that system fit really does mean a lot for a QB.
    but can't deny that MM had plenty of proof in the pudding when it came to past offenses (and QB's) as well.

either way, it should be a competition to earn the spot.
    i'm hoping this is just coach speak, and that they'll be open to making a change before the season opener if needed.. ie a competition without calling it that.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

so your real problem is that I don't agree with you. got it.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Let's end the BS that Geno is being "handed" the job - poor performance and if Fitz is healthy, Geno's job will be gone at the snap of a finger.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I expect this to be glossed over by many.

The best player will play.

Ralebird and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So essentially bowles confirmed what some on here interpreted from gaileys presser. Gailey just wouldn't consider the possibility of geno playing bad.
    // overreaction

FlaJet and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

which should have been obvious to us from the beginning.

I prefer this to the alternating reps bit we tried before that I think most wanted to see again. I've fallen out of favor with that kind of competition, theres no momentum to be carried with that.

if Fitz is the better option that fact will reveal itself, theres nothing to stop that from happening just because the format isn't one with an alternating day starter in Training camp.

geno's job isn't safe even if he's currently number 1, thats been clear as day for a while

FJF likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

I agree with you here. I think giving Geno all of the reps for the moment is the best thing because the CS can evaluate Geno even more. If the play isn't up to their standards, we should see Fitz taking more 1st team reps and eventually can even take the job from Geno if Geno does not show improvement.

I like this approach far more.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Fitz before Gailey was the same thing he is now, a bad starting QB.

20. 101GangGreen101

Gailey got Fitz a 60M dollar extension. He was with 2 teams prior to that. I'm not saying Fitz is a great QB, but he didn't stick with a team until Gailey came around.