Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This in theory makes sense. Question is, was there ever anyone who outplayed them to take the job? That's the critical thing. It's not like we've had a guy light it up behind them and not see the field.

I think what you're really saying is "you're tired of shitty QBs".

RexontheBeach likes this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No. I'm saying I'm tired of there not even being a competition. Why on earth was Vick not given a chance to compete with Geno last year?

These backup guys who could potentially provide a better option at QB aren't even given fair reps with the 1's to compete. It's fucking bullshit. They're anointing hot garbage as the starter without seeing what someone else can do.

Jake likes this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the only year where backup heading into camp may have been better than starter in recent years was last year w/ Vick and Geno but Geno outplayed him in camp and preseason and played better in the reg season.

4. rick34125

rick34125 Member

geno has to be played and given every chance until they know for sure what they have in him one way or another. vick wasn't any good last year (is he even playing this year?) and although fitzpatrick knows gailey's offense he's physically not better than geno. the best option now is to let geno learn the offense, build chemistry with his offense, and get as many reps as possible. they can put him on a short leash, but going forward at this point geno is the jets best option.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

why? don't we know enough already? I understand the argument of potential upside but why can't that be realized with competition? shouldn't competition bring out the best?

vick has personal responsibility issues that didn't mesh well with the coaching staff. he was not prepared when brought in mid-season after having been anointed the backup. Had he been given a chance to compete from the beginning it may have been a different story. Whether he is playing this season is irrelevant. BTW, Geno sucked a fat cock again last year.

Jamarcus Russel is much better than either physically. Let's get him!

Because you said so.

#565 NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    FlaJet likes this.
  6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

the best option now is to let geno learn the offense, build chemistry with his offense, and get as many reps as possible. they can put him on a short leash, but going forward at this point geno is the jets best option.

Because you said so.

ah, no, because Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey said so!! Let me guess, you think differently...based on your wealth of training and experience coaching NFL offense and QBs.

7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Ah ... so you don't criticize politicians ever, right? Because you've never been President (or a US Senator). And based on your standard, it's only okay to criticize someone if you have a "wealth of training and experience" in the exact same job (at the exact same level).

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

By that logic no one on here should ever criticize any moves made by the team, gm, coaching staff, QB, no one. Since we don't have the experience and they know better.

I assume you were 100% with every Rex, Morningwood and Idzik decision since by your logic they cannot be criticized by someone with lesser experience.

I wonder how you feel about the Bills firing Gailey a few years ago since he is obviously not to be questioned.

9. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

My son-in-law is a big bills fan and he told me when they hired him said to beware of him. Not that I go by what he says but his declaration about Geno makes me wonder. It seems there are two camps and train of thoughts here.
    Us fans who have grown tired of the same old BS year after year, We put our faith into new regimes only to be let down time after time. So our green colored glasses come off quicker. I'd say 90% of this side still believes in the new regime but won't accept a bill of goods about certain players.
    The other camp believes or desperately wants to believe every thing that is said from the FO. They are just as good fans as us. Many of these fans were the ones who were still defending Idzik when it was obvious he just wasn't the guy we needed.
    Which side is right?
    I like to think to think the side that will question and keep questioning the (obvious) poor decisions we seem to continually make is the right choice. Maybe we can't change the outcome but as fans we sure as hell can voice our unhappiness in the hopes we are heard by management. We do know that the media as well as Jet management do follow the various Jet sites to get a feel of what the fans are thinking and saying. Just read the other Jet sites and the feeling is that the majority of Jet fans are really fed up with Geno.

James Hasty and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Really? Is that all you've got? Do you actually believe the entire coaching staff of an NFL team is incapable of comparing the abilities of two or more quarterbacks without a head to head, pass by pass "competition?"

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You've never seen me stating that Geno won't amount to much? C'mon, man, that was a low blow, completely baseless.

Ok, let's say it's 6 vs 10. I'll even make it better: let's say it's 10 plus PO appearance. Would this difference justify not evaluating Geno, cutting what might be a serviceable QB (very long shot admittedly) in favor of carrier backup and PO appearance?

Ok, either find anything I said that hints that Geno is my hero or STFU with this.

Me too, but I'm capable of looking beyond one season and taking long term very long shot over at best one PO appearance.

I think Fitz is better than Geno will ever be. But unless you're saying that with Fitz Jets can reach VERY high, there is absolutely no reason to start him.
    Yes, there is no reason to start a better QB if the result is slightly less sucking.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yes, I wish Bowles didn't say it. But can we stop acting like The Great Jets QB Olympic was cancelled?

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

First off, what do you mean by "is that all you've got? "

You asked what a qb competition would look like. Since you seem unfamiliar with the term I helped you out with an explanation. You're welcome.

As for your new question regarding whether the cs is capable of making an evaluation based on past film ...

I'm sure they are very capable of doing film evaluations. What they don't have on film is either qb playing with this roster. They also do not have any film of geno smith playing in a chan gailey system.

You can read a book about Paris, look at a lot of pictures and even view films of it but you never really know what it's like unless you live there for a bit.

There is value in looking at past performance. There is also value in seeing which qb performs better this year with the current Jets roster. If the coaches did this they may even find out there initial evaluation was lacking some critical details that a competition brought to light.

Jake likes this.
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

yea I'll gladly take playoffs with fitzpatrick this year over more years of geno. any other questions?

As for the Geno homer comments - I honestly don't recall anything you've posted in the past, I'm on full anti-geno tilt since finding out he won't have competition to start once again. It's especially annoying since the off season had been going so well. So I apologize if I mischaracterized you in my rage.

#574 NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 26, 2015
    RuJFan likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Cmon bird, if you have been watching football for as long as I believe you have, you know that there is a list of QB that have been evaluated by professional CS that have sucked, Akili Smith, Brandon Weeden, browning Nagle, Jamarcus Russel, my favorite Ryan Leaf, and in the near future Geno Smith.

That's just to name a few, and to answer your question, I do belive that an entire CS can be incapable of evaluating a franchise QB whether on draft day or in training camp.

No one is infallible

#575 Red Menace, May 26, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Actually - I want Petty to get a lot of reps. And stay that way.

FOR PRESEASON. [And preseason only.]

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Damnit. I swear. You know what I would pay to see. All these years of following the NFL and college football. A multi-year spanning documentary about the dreams, hopes and aspirations of a group of high school, college and NFL QBS. Sort of a Hoop Dreams for the NFL. There is so much pathos and BS about the position in general. It would be eye opening to see the actual career process of becoming one. At least for this Jets fan! Any film students out there, reading this?

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I predict Fitz takes over by Week 5.

19. Ralebird

Film? Who said anything about film? Why look at film when the entire coaching staff will be looking at these guys everyday they are together. They'll be there for the OTAs, they'll be there for training camp and they'll be there every time somebody ties on their cleats or picks up a playbook. Do you seriously believe that if one of the other guys is outperforming Smith the entire coaching staff will somehow miss it if they are not alternating plays with the starters? Or do you believe it's something they'll prefer to hide because their minds are already made up?

20. Ralebird

Your point would be well taken if any of the people you mention played for any decent duration while a better alternative was available. Whoever is on the practice field is competing daily without the necessity of a "competition."