Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well over 500 posts here, not about the quarterback situation, but about semantics. Would just one of the people complaining tell us precisely what they see as how all the training events will be different after this "announcement" than they would have been of no announcement was made or if Gailey said "everybody must compete for a position?" What would this phantom "competition" really look like?

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Nice comparison a two time SB winner to Geno.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Are you honestly unfamiliar with what a QB competition looks like? Generally it involves 2 QBs splitting first team reps fairly evenly until such a point where one of them separates themselves by clearly performing better.

This is a fairly common practice when there isn't an obvious starter on the roster. Kind of like the Jets currently have.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I guess the main question is: what do you expect for this season? I remember you wanting to tank the last one, so shouldn't you be hoping for Geno?
    As to the FO, what choices do they have? Geno or Fitz, this team goes nowhere this season. So why not give the kid final evaluation?

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Let's say Geno is the wrong choice, and Fitz would give Jets one extra win. Do you really care if it's 7 or 8?
    In the past Sanchez vs Geno at least made sense. There is no point of splitting reps this time around, none whatsoever. Jets will be middle of the pack regardless of who starts. So why not give Geno final exam, this time with friendly OC and someone to throw to.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Which of the NFLs 32 teams exactly have such a QB competition upcoming this offseason? Buffalo and Houston. That's really it. Cleveland? (nope - McNown named starter), Tennessee? (Mariotta will start by 2016 at the latest), Philly? (really? Bradford is the starter), Washington? (RGIII is the starter). Where are all these QB competitions you speak of???

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think because Fitz has an injury they have no choice to do this. I'm not a Geno guy by any means but I can see why they took this approach. The last thing they want is for everyone to start crowning Petty..

9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I only wanted to tank the last one (although I recognized it was an impossibility when Idzik refused to back Rex; at that point Rex had no incentive to particpate) when it became blatantly obvious that Geno was the only one the team was going to allow to play. At this time last season, I wanted Vick to be the starter for the team and for the team to try to compete. Instead, they pissed the season away (I blame Idzik - others can choose to blame whoever they want).

Likewise, right now, I want Fitzpatrick to be the starter for the team and for the team to try to compete. If Fitzpatrick turns out to be awful (which could happen), I want Petty to play. Any snap Geno is on the field is a waste of time.

"Oh, but Fitzpatrick isn't any good and at least Geno has upside" will say every Jets/Geno apologist. First, Geno has done nothing in two years that indicates he has upside; he's been the worst QB in the league. Second, if the coaching staff doesn't think Fitzpatrick is good enough to compete with Geno to start at QB then this team either has massive problems at GM (because the HC is right and Maccagnan didn't acquire anyone capable of competing with the worst QB in the league) ... or ... this team has massive problems at HC (because the GM acquired a QB more-than-capable of competing with Geno for the starting job, if not clearly better, and Bowles just let his offensive coordinator tell him "sorry, you're on the bench"). Neither one of those things is a pleasant thing to think about when they are both rookies and the team hasn't had a practice yet. But then again, it's not my fault Gailey said something stupid.

#549 Unhappyjetsfan, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Big Blocker, FlaJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If Fitzpatrick can't practice, and Petty outplays Geno in practice ... why can't we start crowning Petty? Do we have some kind of mysterious allegiance and investment in Geno - a second round pick who has been the worst QB in the league both years he's played? Why is it okay to annoint Geno as "untouchable", but it would be a massive error to observe "Well, Petty's been better - he should play"? I guess I'm not seeing your point. The best guy should play. They should all get a chance to demonstrate whether or not they are the best guy. And that goes for Simms, too.

FlaJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

UJF
    absolutely no Petty. I think 2 QBs is enough ruined potential, no need to add 3rd. Your choices are Geno, Fitz or Simms.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Like I said in other post its a case of both doublespeak since we were told Geno would go up against Fitz in March, and my own philosophy that competition cant hurt. Come September we will see. Geno will have tons of pressure if we start 1-3. So unless we are doing great he will be right back under the microscope. Depends how it all plays out. Buffulo and Houston have the right idea imo that's all it is what it is.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would you assume the difference is one game? Is it because you're a geno apologist? Even if the difference were just one game that could be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.

Let's just say Geno is the wrong choice, and Fitz would give the Jets 4 more wins. Do you really care if it's 6 or 10?

Just because you say it makes no sense to have a competition doesn't make it true.

If the surrounding players and OC makes the difference for Geno it would come out in a competition. Why wouldn't you want a QB competition? Scared Fitz beats out your hero?

I'm a Jets fan and want the best players on the field. I'm sick and tired of shitty QB's being annointed starter when they haven't earned it!

#553 NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    FlaJet likes this.
  14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

says the troll who brings nothing to this board.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I'll disagree with you, I think it's assinine, it's much too early, especially with Smith's credentials...

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

don't bother. lol :)

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

fair enough.

I'll just point out that at least for 2015 our Jets will likely have a shitty QB eventually anointed starter whether they earned it or not. A competition isn't going to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and right now the 4QBs are chicken shit.. Petty is still incubating of course, I guess

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes. Like you I have never said it is impossible that smith could improve to become a decent Qb. What I have said is that from all I have seen of him, looking at comparable situations and the overall odds of improvement from what we have seen of him to date, that the likelihood of significant improvement in year 3 is so small as to not make it worthwhile to tank another season just to see if he can.

Meanwhile I am not a huge fan of Fitzpatrick. But he's far more likely, if given a chance and, if he won it, the reps, the support of the team, to put in a decent enough performance.

All the excuse making here as to why the Jets do not have better talent at Qb does nothing to make Smith more likely to get enough better to succeed. It sounds more and more that despite gettin Revis, Cro, Marshall and the others here, this will be another wasted no playoffs season as long as they leave Smith in there long enough to ruin another season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

10 wins = playoffs
    6 wins = more billboards

Hell yeah I want Fitz and 10 wins!

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think Fitzharvard is anything special but he has clearly demonstrated that he's better than Geno Smith. A more tasty shit sandwich if you will.