Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Don't deflect I asked a specific question how is he "lazy"?

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here is my crazy thought for the day expecting to get flamed by my super critical and very insightful TTG friends on this topic.

Let's face it, nothing brings the worst in a jet fan than a discussion about the QB situation and any whisper by the brass of a selection for our starter.

There is a damned good reason for it, after all, the most important position in any NFL team has been in flux with the NYJ since time memorial. We have missed Over and over again in making a solid choice for the most critical position, by far, on the team.
    For me the last guy I felt was good enough to lead us was Kenny O'Brien, for others Testaverde, some hard core folks go all the way back to Joe Willy. No matter who you choose, it's fair to say it has festered in no mans land for way too long.

Enter 2015 and there appears to be no immediate relief in sight. Our new bright ray of hope, Petty, is talented but green and in need of major time behind a clip board. If he is the future we all have been hoping for the worst thing we could do is rush him into a failure situation. After that, our choices are subject to major disagreement.

Geno, the anointed starter with a mediocre track record, Fitz, a solid back up with an established cealing and rehabbing a broken leg, and Simms, an enigma that has never captured the confidence of any coaching staff.

So what are we really most angry about? That the announcement was unnecessary, premature and will impact the results of a true competition? Or are we upset we did not do enough to bring someone in that can compete and lead this team and we are screwed with Geno as the only choice? Or something else?

Here is my take on it, probably wrong but I'm attempting to rationalize the thinking by the front office

1- I believe from the very beginning, the new FO and HC decided that they wanted to give Geno another opportunity to show what he can do under a system that matches his strengths, while at the same time continue to search through the draft for the the future super star if Geno fails.
    2- Once that decision was made, the selection for a veteran back up QB was the target (Fitz) and clearly there was no intention to go after an established starter ( Cutler, Foley, Bradford vintage)
    3- I suspect Bowles searched out Gailey for that very reason. Can you field a good offense with Geno as a starter? Apparently Gailey thought so, he has credentials to prove it, and they are trying hard to make that premise work.
    4- One can only guess why? Either they see more in Geno than most do, or did not think the alternative of a better QB was either achievable, feasible or viable.

So if I buy into my own premise, then the main issue was why not wait for the decision to anoint the starter, why not keep the statement more general like Bowles. Well we have already discussed that topic at length here. Suffice is to say both the press and the fans will pile it on either way. There is no escaping this controversy.

I think it's fair to say we expect plenty out of this team and the QB position is the key to our success, so when all the announcements are gone and buried, we better see two things come out of pre season and into game one.

1) A person under center that gives us the absolute best chance of winning.
    2) A very promising performance by our rookie QB giving us confidence in our future

Or we can hope on a miracle that 1 and 2 are one and the same

Go Jets

TonyMaC, Clark Gaines and Big Cat like this.
  3. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

The decision to anoint Smith as the starter is simple: he already knew, so the only people who have learned this news are the fans.

And I really don't think Bowles is coaching to the fans...yet. ;-)

People need to look at things this way: the coaching staff isn't just giving Smith another shot. they are giving him his FIRST shot at QBing a credible offense.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He doesn't make meetings so he is unfocused. Smith may not be entirely lazy but so what? I think people want to discuss how many games he could win rather than how much practice time he puts in throwing to his friend BMarshall

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Can you please give a link for this? I didn't see them talking about competition at QB. If they did, Geno shouldn't have been named the starter.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The move is not stupid, but your question is the most pertinent.
    I was Geno to be evaluated once and for all, but if he shits the bed again, he must be benched. Benching a bad player to me is the evaluation of the new FO.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

So now "he's not entirely lazy". He missed one meeting while inexcusable I'm not going to hold it over his head forever. How is he "unfocused"?

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's gonna be that much better when we finally win another Super Bowl.

Not many feel that Geno Smith can get us there, but I have faith in Bowles & Gailey can move us in that direction.

Mac already has.

#528 Acad23, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

All a preseason QB competition does us give the media something to write about, create controversy, and take reps from thevstartervwho,is trying to learn a new offense . Tell me, how would the Jets be better off right now if there was a "true" QB competition lest preseason and Vick was the starter all year? Maybe the Jets win 6-7 games. Maybe they don't. Maybe Ryan keeps hid job. Maybe Idzik keeps his. Maybe the Jets draft 12th instead of 6 th.

If Fitz is the answer, why isn't he still in Houston where they have a playoff caliber roster and no QB? Why isn't he the clear starter there coming off such a "great" season instead of Hoyer or Mallett? His career record is 33-55-1.

10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

NJ.com link - April 2, 2015

In a conference call with season-ticket holders on Thursday, head coach Todd Bowles addressed the (genuine!) quarterback competition the Jets have in store for this summer, with Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Matt Simms all jockeying for the top spot. But then it sounded like Bowles maybe let something slip. "Ryan's going to compete, as well as Geno's going to compete," Bowles said. "And we hope to add somebody else to help compete with that along with Simms."

NYJetsO12 and RuJFan like this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Your a rook compared to me. Just saying...LOL

12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Good to hear and hoping it's true. If Geno can't beat out 2 rooks and a cripple he surely doesn't deserve to start.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link
    "genuine QB competition" is not what Bowles said, those are reporter's words.
    If you want to stick your anger on "Ryan's going to compete, as well as Geno's going to compete..." I suppose you can, but IMO that's a bit of a stretch. All players are competing, at all times, even when they are clear starters. So both RF and GS will compete, I don't think this is the same as "QB competition (for starting job)".

I guess I nudge it into a small minus to Bowles (should've phrased it more carefully), but you guys are acting like there was guaranteed Olympics for the starting Jets QB position and the winner was just annouced before any throws. Almost like someone here was eagerly waiting to find something to start "devorce the FO" movement. There will be plenty of real grudges in the future, can you give them a little leash?

TurkJetFan likes this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Geno is lazy? He has never struck me as that. From what I've observed he isn't. His coaches and team mates have always stood up for his work ethic. As far as his personal conduct goes, I think we've gotten pretty lucky. A missed team meeting and a few dick pics. Could be worse, athletes now lock their baby's mamma in a car trunk while going a 3 day coke benders. Geno seems rather smart given the profession he's in. If he's not good enough, I don't think it's because of a lack of effort.

The 1985er likes this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

My anger doesn't arise from different interpretations of the word "compete" and whether or not the coaching staff is taking back a statement they previously made. I'm not angry.

My exasperation arises from the idea that we have a brand new GM and coaching staff and they are apparently too dumb to know they cannot be successful with Geno as the starting QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think Geno will be on a super short leash and this was done to tone down the media a little bit.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Classic!

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Check all the news about Fitz signing The NYPost , News etc. Also quotes of Mac around then.

From what I read they were preaching competition like the rest of the NFL does

#538 NYJetsO12, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  19. Unhappyjetsfan

And you believe that informing the world that the worst QB in the league two years running (at the very least, statistically) will not have to compete in the pre-season to keep the starting job is likely to tone down the new york sports media? It's going to take one bad quarter from Geno and everyone in the NY sports media will be calling Gailey a buffoon and asking why Maccagnan couldn't get anyone better (basically exactly what I'm doing, only I'm doing it right now instead of waiting for Geno to inevitably play bad in the first game).

20. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Exactly.....just like Eli Manning, even after winning his 2nd SB for the Giants he still gets no respect from Giants fans. They still say the Giants won those SB's in spite of Eli, not because of him. NY football fans are just brutal on their QB's.