Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as deep as the media and fans are analyzing it.

I think they simply think Geno was the starter last year, he's heading into this year with pure skills that best fit what they want to do on offense, and they want to give him a vote of confidence and take away the media driven swirl that will ensue otherwise.

I'd much prefer they do this, then pretend there's a QB competition leading to endless media analysis.

The 1985er likes this.
  2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a brilliant *eye roll* move to put yourself in a position where the media and a large portion of the fanbase is laughing at you before training camp starts. I'm sure everyone involved will be ultra forgiving if the team has a few bad games to start the season *another eye roll*.

It's one thing to pick a fight with the media when you're correct. It's something entirely different to do something so obviously wrong that the media and fanbase turn on you in the honeymoon period.

boozer32, NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

BINGO:

[​IMG]

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And it's another thing to flat out not give a shit what the media or fanbase thinks, which looks to be the case. Thankfully.

JoeyStylez and Dreadmadseen like this.
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Oh, they will ... if only because it's the only thing their boss (Woody) cares about. Go ask Idzik if maybe he wishes he had paid a little closer attention to what the fanbase and the media thought.

6. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

LOL I remember that joke, that he threw INT's because he was "colorblind". I googled it, and found this:

"...here's a little-known fact about Vinny Testaverde: The 43-year-old (about to be 44) quarterback is color blind.

Seriously.

It's pretty much forgotten now, but it was a huge story when it was revealed somewhere near the end of Testaverde's time in Tampa Bay. At the time, Testaverde was a struggling young quarterback and the public reaction to the news spawned a lot of jokes about why Testaverde threw so many interceptions.

To his credit, Testaverde admitted he was color blind, but said that never was an issue in games because he could tell the difference between dark and light."
    http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/10/heres-a-little-.html

So, I guess he really was colorblind, but he said that didn't affect him in games. So his crappy play in Tampa can't be blamed on that.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Is that eye roll similar to the one people make at your avatar?
    [​IMG]

8. Unhappyjetsfan

If I didn't know any better, I'd think your post was a thinly veiled personal attack having nothing to do with the actual topic being discussed. Thankfully, I know better.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Idzik cared about what the fanbase thought we wouldn't have Revis and Cro right now.

10. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

No, just busting a bit. All in good fun...not a personal attack by any means.

11. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

I truly believe I can run a team better than 90% of the Jets fanbase, but then again I am a smart person. Want proof? I have the answer to this burning question: What exactly were the Jets supposed to do about the QB situation?

Answer: Exactly what they did. The team did the best they could with the options given. There were NO frontline QB's available in FA or via trade. They had no shot at the top two QB's in the draft. So they did the best they could with what they had. Of course you name Geno the starter, that doesn't mean he stays the starter if he isn't playing well. Quite frankly anyone who thinks that is a freaking idiot. I respect other's opinions, I just don't give them any credence because they're stupid. Offended? That means your opinion is probably stupid, so come up with something better.

12. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Wrong. Native NYer, living in Miami. Which means absolutely dick in regards to this topic. I speak truth and an honest rational opinion. You want Geno to never play for the Jets again? Too bad, not happening. FO doesn't care what you think, and thank God for that. It's obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that if Geno plays like shit, he won't be the starter for long.

So yeah, fuck what the fans think. That includes you.

13. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

You are mistaken. He played in the SB as a rookie, playing receiver/runner/QB (hence the nickname Slash). As a starting QB, he took them to two AFC title games (1997, 2001), both of which he lost at home. And I would take Geno over Stewart any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

#493 JoeyStylez, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  14. roger

roger Active Member

Stewart was way better than Geno.

NYJetsO12, James Hasty and boozer32 like this.
  15. agilic

agilic Member

Simple. Eliminate a daily media distraction up until either the first game of the season or until a starter is announced.

We all know how QB competitions are handled by NY media. Bother every coach every day about how it's going, when a decision will be made, what Geno ate for breakfast that morning, etc. Bother every player every day about what they're seeing out of each QB, which one they prefer, etc. Bother every QB every day about how they're feeling, did today's pick 6 in mini camp 7v7 hurt their chances, etc.

What would have been interesting is if we were unable to bring in Gailey's guy in Fitzpatrick and signed a different vet instead. I know there would be a legitimate competition, but how would they have handled that one with the media?

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wow just wow. You say you would take Geno or Kordell? Geno a guy who hasn't done a thing versus a guy who went to the SB and threw for over 3000 yards twice. Yeah I've heard all I need to hear from you.

NYJetsO12 and James Hasty like this.
  17. boozer32

I'm gonna go shoot up some heroin maybe then your post will make sense lol. 90% huh? Comical. Just off the top of my head LAJets and NYJets012 are way better than you. You probably thought Browning Nagle was good...well 90% good.

LAJet, FlaJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Unhappyjetsfan

Objection, your honor ... this is a conclusion made with no reasoning or evidence to support it.

No. No "of course you name Geno the starter". He has sucked on ice two years in a row. We should have a Top 5 defense (if we don't, that's the head coach's fault and we have even bigger problems). If we get league-average QB play, we should be playoff-competitive. If the defense turns out to be all-world (as some are predicting) and we get league-average QB play, we should be Super Bowl contenders. So, no ... "of course you name Geno the starter" is just plain stupid. Even if you think he's clearly the best QB, you make him compete for the job - JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER POSITION ON THE FIELD.

FlaJet and James Hasty like this.
  19. boozer32

His crappy play can attributed a great deal to Tampa Bay was a bad team. I mean all around bad defense/offense/special teams. Plus Vinny was abused by the media and fans there it even affected his Father who had to stop going to the games after he had a heart attack.

FlaJet likes this.
  20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Some people, like you, can't look beyond the game or the season in front of you and think long term. So what if the Jets are in playoff contention in 2015? Whoop de damn doo. And who is the QB in 2016 or 2017 or beyond. I don't know about you, but I am smart enough and patient enough to give a Smith another shot at being a future winning NFL QB. I know Fitz isn't. And I have no idea what Petty is.

So any HC or OC with half a brain starts Smith and gives him a shot with his offense and his coaching.

Maybe Bowles and Gailey, who I'm sure have looked at more film in one offseason than you and others on this board will look at in your life, see that Ryan and MM were not handling or developing Smith correctly or utilizing his strengths. If it doesn't work out n a few weeks, you replace him with Fitz and look for someone to compete with Petty in the 2016 draft. What's the down side ? Going 6-10 instead of. 8-8? Or 7-9 instead of 9-7? Come on, you can't be that blind and that impatient.

JoeyStylez likes this.