I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you can play him on passing downs if you rush him, in coverage he is certainly a liability

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i just wish we woul have overpaid for the 25 year old all pro defensive lineman isntead of overpaying the 30 year old declining inside linebacker

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

He's making millions. He'll be alright.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

James Hasty likes this.
  4. roger

roger Active Member

Like I said, no reason to extend Mo right now. Let him play out his contract this season, then reexamine.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

it's not really comparable. we gave harris a bit more but for a shorter term and not a back breaker.

mo would require multiple years at about double the money. I get what you're saying but David is worth the short money the way the team was just built.

6. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Also David Harris is a leader and has been one of the most consistent players on this team if not the most consistent (I would personally say he's first or second bc mangold might be ahead) not only since 2007 when he was drafted but even since like 2010.

7. TurkJetFan

agreed. I don't think there was ever a conversation about David vs Mo. And if not for Leonard I think the Jets would be nearing locking up Mo at this point.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can only pay so many people a top 5 salary and win, particularly if the QB is not one of them. Mo is toast at this point. It's just a question of when and what the Jets get for him.

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Mo will be resigned, imo.

Also, paying a QB is irrelevant right now considering we don't have a franchise QB, or even a good/great one at the moment.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sure blow all our cap room now, its not like any opportunities will present themselves in the future.

11. TurkJetFan

So ur saying we should not retain the talent we actually have in case a qb miraculously becomes available via trade or free agency in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. James Hasty

Setting up for cap hell is not much different than trading away draft picks, it is trading away your future.

My point is that we should not overpay and hand out huge contract extensions like there is no tomorrow just because we do not have to pay a QB right now, especially since Bryce Petty is the only QB signed through the end of next year.

The idea that paying a QB down the road is not a concern because we are currently thin at the position is silly.

We need the cap space for the SB winning team that we are building, not the 4-12 team we started with.

If Mo won't play ball there are a lot of other 3-4 DEs that can help us win.

Big Blocker likes this.
  13. TurkJetFan

overpay sure...I will always agree with no overpaying just bc there's cap space.

but overpay can be debated when it comes to Mo. There is a fair market for players of his value (sort of). I say sort of bc, the market isn't really set for his position. The Jets are wise all things considered to not set the market with him.

But, at the same time I don't think we should be conservative just bc we don't have a franchise QB. You have to work with what you have on the roster + what is coming in free agency. If there was a BIG time QB that is known to hit the market, yes absolutely set it up to make a run. But that doesn't exist as of today. For the Jets to have a ton of space in preparation of a situation that simply doesn't exist would make even less sense.

If we don't pay anyone bc we aren't a SB caliber team we will never be a Superbowl caliber team. There's surely a middle ground, which is a large part of why Mo has not been extended. There are a ton of other reasons, largely that the market for his position isn't set, and the Jets are deep as can be at the position. But this is surely part of it when considering the whole.

14. James Hasty

Agree with most of that.

The good news is that we will see how Mo fits into our defense and depending on whether he is our best defensive lineman or third best defensive lineman his compensation will be adjusted accordingly if we do not trade him.

It would be hard to justify giving Mo JJ Watt money if Richardson and Williams outlplay him. Conversely if he is the only guy on the DL wearing a cape then Woody will just have to open his wallet a bit wider.

15. TurkJetFan

100% agreed. truth is, Sheldon and mo will be competing for likely the same pot of money this year.

16. James Hasty

Sheldon, Mo, and Coples will all be playing for new contracts.

17. rick34125

rick34125 Member

unless wilkerson is willing to sign a team friendly contract, there is no reason to rush into a new deal. there are 3 players performances this season that will affect wilkerson: leonard williams, quinton coples and sheldon richardson.

18. TurkJetFan

Yes, but I don't think Coples is in the same contractual conversation as Sheldon and Mo in terms of money commitment, unless he breaks out. He's also a different player, really a LB as well so the pot of money would be different.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pretty much, you don't let elite level players walk because you anticipate having a franchise QB. Retain your elite talent. Plus, say the Jets draft a QB in RD1 next year - it will take at least 4 seasons to even ENTER the 100M dollar discussion. That QB must also prove that he is a franchise QB.

With the cap ever increasing, there should be no excuses for not resigning Mo, unless he wants Watt money - which I highly doubt.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...-york-jets-cap-situation-old-money-at-the-top

Many of these players will restructure or be cut. I see Cro, Breno being cut potentially, I also see Mangold and Brick restructuring opening more cap. Add in the increase in cap space - and I do not see a reason why Mo won't be resigned.

Coples and Davis won't command top $$$ either. I could see the Jets not resigning Mo this off-season and waiting but they have options.