Explain to me why Bowles wasn't the one who announced Geno the starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 21, 2015.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You just mentioned three seperate plans the front office attempted to enact and it all failed, then state in the fourth option that this was their only plan. That doesn't make any sense.

It's not really pathetic, things just didn't work out the way everyone had hoped. In a perfect world one of the two top quarterbacks fell to us or somehow we traded for a Philip Rivers who miraculously changed his mind about uprooting his family and suddenly wanted to come to New York. Any possible solution for finding a quarterback is predicated on hoping that someone becomes available. When no one becomes available that doesn't mean you didn't have a plan, that means teams don't piss away quarterbacks whatsoever.

15+ teams are still looking for answers at quarterback. They don't grow on trees. And when there's no viable options available you have to settle for what's left.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I was answering a post what the Jets master plan has been. Three plans that didn't work yes. Fourth one is the most recent not the only one

3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Don't allow the media to get you all bothered about this. Gailey's comments mean NOTHING.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

No use he would probably lose it on the way to the head.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This still doesn't answer my question. What would you have done (realistically) that would have made this situation any better?

6. NYJetsO12

The situation for Eugene Smith or for the fans? The situation for Smith has NEVER been hard since he joined the team, got everything handed to him from Rex,Idzik,Marty M, and now Bowles/Gaily. It only gets better for Geno but for TGG it always sucks. By some miracle if we had gotten Phillip Rivers, or even Matt Moore the fans would have hope for the Division and playoffs. No Mariota from the Draft but at least there is BPetty who we can perhaps invest some dreams in. I hope our Ivy Leaguer gets a full recovery..we will need him.

Red Menace and boozer32 like this.
  7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

there was no announcement....

there was no naming...

geno was never stated as not the starting QB...anything else is a situation concocted in our heads and the medias headlines.

Dreadmadseen and BleedGreen89 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Gailey was the one coach I didn't want on staff. His hey day was in the mid 90's. I couldn't understand why Bowles bought him especially when he has never worked with him at any level.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think Bowles sounds a little bit like Cleveland from Family Guy?

[​IMG]

As for the topic of the thread, I think the decision did come from Bowles, but he wanted to show some respect for his OC by allowing him to announce who his QB would be. After all, Bowles is a defense guy, so much has been made about the great defense we have in place now, he probably wanted to give Chan some time in the spotlight. That's my theory anyway.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No you weren't. You said in your final statement that the Jets were content on having Smith as the starter from day one indicating that was the plan all along.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

if Fitzpatrick were a horse he'd be in an Elmers Glue bottle by now

bartscott likes this.
  12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

GENO IS THE STARTER?!

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Nothing at all,I would put all of our options on the field and see who comes out looking the best through out the off season programs and pre season games.Our only real hope at this point is Bryce Petty picking things up fast and making a big impression

14. NYJetsO12

Well yes, I did say I found that troubling. I mean aren't you? Mac goes out and gets all our talent together from Draft and FA all for Geno Smith?? Back in March when we acquired Fitz the whole FO preached competition. Now it is a complete total reversal on that based on what ?a few days of OTAs? . This was premature announcement and in my IMO a mistake

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I now understand why Parcells used to tell all his assistants to sthu around the media.

Fitzpatrick is the best QB on the roster he has the experience to not make the dumb@ss mistakes Geno does and he knows the system like the back of his hand he'll start at some point in 2015 I just hope the time with Geno in there doesn't cost the Jets the AFC East title.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

It's like the Twighlight Zone right?

mute likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Welcome to Geno World!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True indeed. Point of fact, even if we landed Mariota, the same challenge we are facing now would have occurred. Short of getting Rivers or Bradford, a non starter option, we are where we are.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here is the way I look at it. As it is, all the pressure is with Geno, no one else, not Fitz or Petty.
    It is far better to annoit Geno the starter and give him every possible opportunity to succeed in a QB friendly system, as well as the added confidence to demonstrate than the job is his to lose, than to add the dreadful unnecessary pressure of declaring an open competition and add more stress than he possibly needs. An open competition announcement serves the sole purpose of satisfying the NY media frenzie and the Jet fans with a Geno chip on their shoulder.
    You give Geno the best chance to succeed, if it doesn't, you go to plan B and start over. There will no turning back for Geno.

JoeyStylez likes this.
  20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he really does sound like cleveland brown, its kind of uncanny really.

Truth4U2 likes this.