Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Bingo. We have an undisputed winner. Much to do about nothing. He was simply anointed the incumbent and starter at this time. There was no need to drag the usual NY media BS about QB controversy into training camp. Fritz was brought in to push Geno and be a suitable back up if Geno fails. He is a viable insurance policy. Period. The players and people that make the decisions already knew that.

The front office knew going in exactly what Fitz cealing and floor are, same with Simms ( very narrow band)
    Geno has had flashes of greatness and periods of absolute numb nuts poor decision making. But he also has the outmost potential. He certainly was not helped by either Rex or MM schemes wise.
    Let's wait and see.

We can rest assure that if Geno fails to meet Gailey's expectations as a long term starter he will be benched. Fitz will hold the fort and will be wait and see where we go from here next year.
    Of course this will not stop the media from making a big deal out of nothing. But who cares.
    There will be plenty of competition at all positions. This FO just don't go about creating controversy. What a pleasant change of philosophy.

#401 LAJet, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    xxedge72x and deeznuts21 like this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick...

I'm pretty sure Sparano was gone by the time Geno signed with us.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good point. I got carried away with the excuses.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that for all the good will that the new regime has built up in a relatively short period, it's been damaged by Gailey saying that Geno is the starter for the foreseeable future.

He could have just said that Geno gives us the best chance to win.

All hell would break loose.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hope Chan names Geno the starter for the next 5 years. I love when Jet fans go crazy over nonsense like this. It cracks me up.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Actually if you would ever be able to put yourself in the real world U would C than how desperate our QB situation is based on the OC statement :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We certainly could load up on BPA's and top 10 picks couldn't we.. See, I knew there would be an upside to naming Geno our starter over the next 5 years... :)

nyjunc likes this.
  8. nyjunc

[​IMG]

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

And then we get 5 more D-lineman? AWESOME!

Okay, okay…4 D-lineman and a corner...;)

10. nyjunc

The best course of action would be to lose every week to ensure the #1 pick every year and ensure greatness! you can't win a SB unless you tank!:D

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The real issue IMO is the unwillingness to even have a competition. I hope Gailey can make something out of geno but I don't understand the mentality of just handing him the reigns like this. The guy simply hasn't earned it IMO.

IDFjet, pclfan and Duk Dodgers like this.
  12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I totally hear that and get that. I don't even disagree.

On the flip side...

I think what the Jets are doing is realizing that Geno from a pure skill set ability best fits what the Jets want to do offensively...And realize his confidence is probably shot. So I think they are trying to set Geno up from a confidence standpoint to succeed. Which I totally get.

What they didn't really say concretely is how short his leash will be. I suspect 4 - 5 games.

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I can't understand why everyone refers to you as a troll and makes fun of you.

NYJetsO12, FlaJet and Noam like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're wordy every time you post, and you're right - there's no need. I asked a question about specifics, which you continue to dodge. Let's try again - how would you structure this "competition" you need so badly and how would it be different from precisely what will be going on between now and Labor Day anyway?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I bet Chan Gailey was upset at the lack of attention he was getting on Jets message boards across the web so he decided to try to use the media to get some 20 page threads going about himself.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It seems like multiple front offices and coaching staffs are all giving out the same message...we can't have a QB competition in NY where everything's blown up to the nth degree. Coaching staffs don't want the outside distractions during camp and the preseason.

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The sad truth ^^^

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I really don't care about how other coaching staff are handling other situations. Being in NY doesn't mean we have to settle for Geno Smith. We should demand the best.

FlaJet likes this.
  19. Cman68

You sir, make me look like the original Ray of Sunshine. :)

20. Cman68

They have no viable options besides Geno at this point at Qb. We got to this point due to just plain bad timing which is typical of this franchise. I believe you could refer to this as the "cream of the crap" scenario.
    There were no Vet Qb's available at the price point we had in mind. There is no Qb currently on the roster with more experience than Geno Smith who could actually play. The CS had no choice as fate put the perverbial gun to their heads. So instead of saying we have no choice but to start our Qb of last resort, they sugar coated it by saying Geno is the starter because he's so good at blah blah blah, tons of potential. That kinda brought that commercial to mind with Pinocchio doing the motivational speaking.. Plays well to Geno as you really can't come out in the media saying Geno was our last resort. Not exactly a confidence builder. What this does say is that they really don't see Fitz as much of a challenger so why waste snaps on a guy that isn't gonna play barring catastrophe.