Explain to me why Bowles wasn't the one who announced Geno the starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 21, 2015.

1. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

First of all if you haven't already done so please watch the Chan Gailey press conference. He was FANTASTIC with the NY Media.

Just curious why Bowles wasn't the first one to plug for Geno? .

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He is too busy working on the Contingency Plan

3. roger

roger Active Member

Bowles said Geno was the number 1 QB on March 24, 2015. Google it.

b.reyes16, Dreadmadseen and Royal Tee like this.
  4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Bowles is pre-eminently boring. He'll put you asleep. Which doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good head coach. I'll take that over his predecessor. But that's a good question. You'd think an important decision like that would come from him.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Like someone said in another thread, perhaps Gailey is putting himself between Bowles and the media knowing the shitstorm this decision would create. Gailey has enough cache that he can absorb the incoming whereas Bowles doesn't have any whatsoever. Its admirable but in the end, Bowles will still have to step up and defend the decision. I'll say this again: They had better be right about Smith or the honeymoon will be over for this new FO and the media faster than a Geno Smith Pick 6.

boozer32, NYJetsO12 and Axel3419 like this.
  6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I really don't think theres anything that complex about it.

Smith is week one starter till he isn't, its an easy decision given Fitzpatrick's status (as a vet and hampered vet) and its easy to backtrack on. no politics, actually maybe a severe lack of such really, just an obvious statement.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Gailey didn't jump to take this job. There were probably concessions. Money and say over the offense. The reports were Bowles wanted him bad.

8. Cman68

Cmon Tony.. You and I both know the Jets are waay too PR conscious to ever say or do anything in front of the media off the cuff. Perhaps not as paranoid as the NY Knicks but hardly naive. Nothing could be that simple in this market. Scripted? Maybe it was since they had to know the questions that would be incoming after this announcement. Just because we've changed leadership doesn't mean we have a bunch of rubes running the show now.

9. Cman68

and that may be the achilles heel of the Jets this year. Gailey has been out of football for 2 years now and although his system did work, he's not head and shoulders above MM or any other OC's in the game now. Bowles was impressed with the Gailey he saw at the time and hired him from the memory.

I wonder if the 2 years away from the game may have had some effect on Gailey's judgement regarding modern Qb's. 2 years is a long time to be away from anything let alone a business as complicated and evolutionary as the NFL.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd take Gailey over Marty whose offense was ineffective. His play calling sucked, too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

He may not be innovative but he has proven, again and again, that he can get productive play out of mediocre quarterbacks. That didn't result in wins as a head coach, but it certainly did as an OC in the past and this is the best defense Gailey has ever had on his team, which will give him a bit more freedom to work with when creating his offense.

I'm not too worried.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Maybe Bowles is more like Rex than we thought, no balls.

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is a way to give Geno the extra snaps he needs so that he can understand Gailey's way of doing things. Fitz already knows Gailey. If Geno goes out and sucks eggs all pre season, I am sure there will be a change.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe Gailey said it because he and the rest of the coaching staff don't give a shit and know that regardless of what is said in May, it can change by September. There was no announcement of who is starting game 1, the OC basically said this is the guy getting first team reps and as long as he doesn't completely blow it, he's our #1 QB.

Basically, I don't think Gailey cares what the Internet thinks because he and Bowles know the deal.

JoeyStylez likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Because Bowles is a defensive coordinator still and the offense is in Gaileys hands(Just like Bowles said it would be)

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Are you referring to his next job after the billboards start to go up demanding his head on a silver platter?

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is why I wasn't throwing a parade for Ryan Fizpatrick coming to the Jets,He's just here incase Geno craps his pants against the Bills again

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

Gailey probably told his wife that he was on a couch for two years because he had insomnia and was sleeping it off

Red Menace likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What was the alternative? You do a lot of whining and very little problem solving. Give us the master plan.

20. NYJetsO12

Someone should have the guts(excuse the pun) to mail Geno some Immodium