Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with this. However people have their own ideas of how well he needs to play in order to keep the job. So if he gives us 2014 Cam Newton play would that be alright?

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno isn't Mac's guy so they must see something in him. Plus he's had two years to make rookie mistakes. It would be hard to throw away that learning curve and the trial and error which resulted in a lot of losses if this guy is on the brink of turning it around. Has he finally learned how to play the Qb position. And can he at least be a fair to medium NFL starting Qb. I have my doubts after watching him now for two seasons.

3. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

So Gena is lights out playing catch in a parking lot ? Awesome.

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You mean like last season?

FlaJet likes this.
  5. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

I have been to the last four training camps in Cortland and I can honestly say that I have seen so little of Simms play that I don't know how anyone could even evaluate him. He was with scrubs all the time and I have trouble believing anything in practice was any different.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

TO be clear I am not saying Simms is the answer by any means. But it is clear enough from all we have heard and not heard that he has been given essentially no real shot at being the starting Qb.

FlaJet and James Hasty like this.
  7. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Just listened to Chan's press conference through to the end... 2 things jumped out.

The NY Press are a bunch of assholes,. Chan was noticeably frustrated with them asking the same question 100 different times about Geno.
    Chan really thinks he can make a system work with Geno..

8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

"Was there ever a thought of your guys staff to have a competition between Geno and Ryan this season?"

"No. never a thought"

"Whyyyyy?!! Geno turned the ball over 41 times"...."What did you see in him that gives him the job"

<calls them out for trying to pull answers out of him that he doesn't want to say and will use against him>

I feel like they have no respect for people.. and really really DO NOT LIKE Geno.

FlaJet likes this.
  9. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

I know you were not calling him the answer. I just don't know how anyone can even evaluate him. Let alone say he sucks.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would prefer the 2013 version to be honest. Cam was hurt a lot last year ... didn't look so good for a long stretch of games.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not that there is no competition, it's that you simply can't just split the reps among quarterbacks or you end up with two players whom are not ready. The head coach won't have his hands tied like Rex seemed to have last year. It will show us the true character of our head coach if he leaves Geno to start after he shits the bed for a month all summer and then two months into the season.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Tie him up in his bed at night and have the whole team hit him with soap-bars wrapped in wash towels. He'd be on time for meetings from then on.:p

NYJetsO12 and mgjetman22 like this.
  13. The 1985er

I chose '14 Cam because there is a possibility that Geno could give us similar production/performance.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That sound verrry familiar.... "Blanket Party" ? ;)

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wouldn't complain if he put up similar stats. I'd be happy with that. I think Geno could do better given the weapons he has. As long as he's helping us win I'm not going to complain about that though.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's possible but if I'm betting I'm betting Gailey over Big Blocker, et al.

17. Ralebird

And that is what has caused 400 comments here. Why don't you tell us what you believe this means or doesn't mean for the quarterback position? Why don't you tell us what the "competition" you envisioned would look like and how it is different from what the situation is today?

18. Ralebird

I had to read this three times to see if it was sarcasm and have concluded it's not. What a sad situation it is if reading comprehension has slipped so badly. It's even sadder that at least two posters have already not only agreed, but "liked" the comment. We're doomed, guys.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Gailey's offense is more in line with what Geno ran in college so I'm looking forward to seeing what Gailey can do with him.
    Gailey has made much less talented QB's look like All Stars (Thigpen comes to mind), I honestly believe this could be a good year for Geno.

20. The 1985er

Like I said before even if you don't like Geno, this should be cause for cautious optimism because he's showing enough for the coaches to give him a vote of confidence.