Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

*Sigh* Did you really have to summon him? This thread was progressing in a perfectly reasonable fashion.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

dude he didn't say that

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you are involved, all things reasonable went out the window the moment you entered.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

The best option was and should be have a QB competition with all the QB's we have. At least Geno would have to win it. And if he yards ahead of the other QB's this shouldn't be a problem plus it would sooth us fans that don't think he's capable of leading our team. I can't understand the logic of even making an announcement saying he's the starter. The guy thinks he's an all star and we shouldn't be giving his ego false encouragement. As a Jet fan I will of course root for him to succeed but the reality will probably be I will be cussing the continued dumb ass moves our team continually makes

NYJetsO12, TNJet and Big Blocker like this.
  5. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I don't think Simms ever got second team reps. No excuses needed but comparing Simms to Brady???
    In actuality he stats were no worse than Vick in his tenure with the Jets. I am not a Simms supporter but he was never really given a chance and given our proven record of choosing the lesser QB you would think they would at least give him a pre season start.

#325 FlaJet, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    TNJet likes this.
  6. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Even better announce he is the starting QB and there will be no competition. LOL

7. nyjunc

I am not comparing them, I just don't want to hear the 1st team reps excuse. Be good enough to earn 1st team reps and he'll get them.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am totally with you here. The Smith Fans think it's just fine that he has been named the starter in May since to them he's the best Qb on the roster. And Gailey's comments seem to support that take on it.

But we are here talking about arguably the worst NFL starting Qb in the league the last two seasons. Is it REALLY true that there was absolutely no one out there who could have been at least given a chance to compete against him and just maybe do better?

The notion that Fitzgerald was told at the time he was signed taht he would not be offered a chance to compete feeds into this being a troubling development. That would suggest the issue is not that Fitz has been having trouble coming back from his leg injury. It instead indicates his recovery has nothing to do with it, that they were in bed with Smith as the starter all the way back then.

Now to be clear I am not saying the Jets had tons of great options to upgrade Qb. But other than looking at Mariota, what did they do that indicated in hindsight that they felt they needed to get someone else in there to start at Qb?

Right now I can't think of anything, and that is even more troubling than the idea of Smith being handed the starting job without his earning it.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you can say the same thing about Geno. he hasn't earned the first team reps, but not only is he getting them, he's being handed the job entirely.

that's what i don't like about this whole thing..

Cman68 and FlaJet like this.
  10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

High level seems subjective. So realistically what do you consider "high level"?

11. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

you didnt answer because you know there's nothing else they could have done

12. nyjunc

compared to what we have he has earned them. he was still a fairly high pick, he has shown ability. if he struggles in camp he won't start.

13. BacktoQueens

i don't think where you are picked should have any bearing, ie draft selection should not warrant entitlement on a starting job.
    and he hasn't shown enough ability on the field, where it matters.

maybe i'm wrong about Gailey/Bowles intentions, but Gailey sure made it sound like he is starting barring injury.
    that to me is the wrong message to send to Geno, to Fitz, and to the rest of the team.

FlaJet and AtlantaJet like this.
  14. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

When you have nearly a complete team including high priced vets who may be here only a couple of years, the priority has to be winning now, not developing a QB that has not shown much promise. If he earns it in camp and preseason then fine, but don't anoint him in May!

NYJetsO12, FlaJet, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  15. nyjunc

Maybe not but Chan feels he can work with him, he likes his tools. Let's see if he can turn him around, that excites me more than watching Fitz for 16 games.

To me I think he was trying to put a controversy to bed, instead of the mini camp and training camp stat lines by reporters he wanted to avoid that. I still think if Geno struggles Fitz can win the job, it just won't be a circus competition.

FJF likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

if Chan can turn him around, then great. that would be for the best.
    but let's see it, and let's have him earn before proclaiming him a week 1 starter in May.

a QB competition doesn't automatically translate to a QB controversy.
    especially when there are no options with a proven track record of success.

the CS owes it to the other 53 members of the team to start the QB giving them the best chance to win.
    quickest way to lose a locker room is putting a guy behind center who hasn't earned it.

Fitz is an avg player, and a journeymen.
    but i'm more confident in his ability to manage a game than Geno at this point, until Geno can prove otherwise.
    hopefully he can, but we haven't seen it yet. it's just too early to waive off any notion of competition.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  17. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

Till they get wore out from being on the field the whole game. Then comes time to take plays off. Why care if the coaches don't. Watching Gena play last year was so upsetting that someone should have kicked his ass in the locker room.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Make plays to help us win and not turn the ball over consistently. I think to me that's a realistic level of play for a 3rd year QB coming off a spread offense in college. I don't want to tie #s to it, but if I had to - 2:1 TD-INT ratio would help.

FlaJet likes this.
  19. agilic

agilic Member

Simple situation that does not need to be overcomplicated.

There are 2 realistic QB options for 2015 - Smith and Fitzpatrick.

Smith is a wildcard. 24 year old kid with limited success in his 2 years (to be fair, he didn't have competent NFL weapons to work with, not a successful environment for any young QB really, outside of maybe Andrew Luck) but loads of physical talent. They are going to give him every opportunity and as many reps as possible to learn and be successful in this new offense. Isn't he living with Marshall and Devin Smith and working with them daily?

The fact that Fitzpatrick is a seasoned veteran who has not only been around the block and started many, many games in the league; but he actually worked for multiple seasons with our OC in this offense. Fitz knows the offense, and Gailey knows Fitz. So long as he keeps himself in shape, he is essentially a plug and play QB (and likely why he was the veteran choice in the first place) should the Geno experiment go horribly wrong. There is very little to gain by giving Fitz significant first team TC reps compared to Smith, who could reap huge benefits from it.

Fitz is an intelligent man. I'm sure he either knew or was made aware of the situation as soon as he was brought in: Geno is going to get a shot at it, and if he royally effs up, that's where you come in to show him how our offense is supposed to work.

Believe me, if we get through TC and pre-season, and Geno is making awful decisions and showing no signs of grasping the offense, does anybody really think Bowles and Gailey will throw him out there in a game that counts?

At least then we gave it a shot with this system and now we know, as opposed to already knowing exactly what Fitz can bring to the table if we need him to.

Big Cat likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Another Season of Popcorn and Suds watching the Jets Defense drop like flies. If GSmith starts with the 3 and outs there had better be buildboards or a messy field.

Team is like a bad crack addiction, it never can be good for you

TNJet likes this.