Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jets fans do not need to overreact to Geno being named the starter. He is in his 3rd season, and if he was not so terrible, should be the starter who is entering the prime of his career. Of course we know that is not the case and he is borderline awful. However, with Fitzpatrick on the roster, he will have a much shorter leash. It would be great for the whole franchise if Geno somehow plays good. If he does not, which is what most of us expect, then they have a back-up plan. Nothing wrong with giving Geno encouragement and trying to up his confidence in the middle of May.

PulseJet likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I personally don't have a problem with what happened yesterday, but why aren't those who are upset directing their anger at Todd Bowles? I don't see why Chan Gailey is getting attacked when it's obvious from the way he was talking that they've made a collaborative decision. Besides, the starting QB is the head coach's decision.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Having seen the actual comments I think it's just a case of a veteran coordinator taking one for his young coach. Gailey's no spring chicken. He knows what its like to be a young HC, knows the media and has seen what its like with QB controversy. He's also got nothin to lose at this point.

I think its no coincidence these comments were made literally the first time he speaks to the press. By making a comment like this he will take some heat for a day or 2 in May and then it saves the team the agony of days upon days of answering QB competition questions until week 1.

The best guy will play this isn't fuckin peewee football bullshit. the comments just looked like managing the media to me after actually seeing them

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am sure SL would have taken Simms for Bradford:D

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have answered you, but you immediately resorted to ad hominems so I'm now disinterested.

6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Judging from people around here we would get an early round pick back too. STL must've thought pretty high of Foles if the report of Cleveland offering a 1st was true. We never had a shot.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I thought we had five of them this year.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Who would you have wanted the Jets to go after in the offseason?

I will not resort to insults in any fashion.

9. Unhappyjetsfan

I am astonished (but I shouldn't be) by the number of Jets fans on this message board whose attitude is (paraphrase): There is absolutely nothing the Jets could reasonably do this season other than have the worst starting QB in the league.

Believe it or not, for me, the biggest issue is that sometime in the near future (5 years? 10 years?), the Jets are going to have a below-average starting QB (someone like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton) who happens to be lightyears better than Sanchez/Geno (who were the worst starting QBs in the league) and this same group of fans are going to be so dazzled by a player who simply doesn't ruin 90% of all the games he participates in, that they are going to treat him like the second-coming of Joe Namath ... and then the really bitter fights are going to come when people start suggesting, "Hey, we should probably upgrade from Player X so we can win a championship," and the backlash will be as if we suggested cutting Joe Montana in his prime. I'm already dreading it.

#309 Unhappyjetsfan, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

matt simms is the most irrelevant player on the jets roster. he is a glorified water boy.

11. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

You are telling me a guy with 77.5 QB rating last year is the automatic starter over a guy with a 95.3 rating???? Please explain how that makes any sense at all? Unless the announcement is just some sort of mind game to make Geno believe in himself this is total idiocy on behalf of the coaching staff.

IDFjet likes this.
  12. jerseyjay14

no one is upset geno is starting #1 on the depth chart

everyone is upset because his coach said there would be 0 competition for the job and its his no matter what

to not make that distinction is pretty silly

Big Blocker and IDFjet like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

link where gailey said its geno no matter what?

14. jerseyjay14

I keep hearing this but feel it is inaccurate. I'm yet to see Geno make that corner route between the corner and safety in the cover 2. And I think he clearly has issue with the deep dig route, something he has overthrown right into a safties lap on numerous occasions. having arm strength doesnt mean you can make all the throws

15. jerseyjay14

2 games.... hell 1 game likely is the difference between playoffs or no playoffs for this team. if smith is the guy, fine, but make him prove it before we start playing games that count

AtlantaJet and IDFjet like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So you are saying he will get us 18 sacks and help us win the Burbon Bowl?

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  17. Unhappyjetsfan

Of all the people available (who were free, or reasonably close to free), I personally probably think Matt Moore would have given us the best chance of not single-handedly destroying the season. But that's not my point. My point is, it was the new GM's job to find someone better than Geno, acquire that person, and give him an opportunity to compete. If he thinks Fitzpatrick is better than Moore? Fine, maybe he is - but then let him have a chance to be the starter. We did the exact same s--- with Vick last season and he immediately tuned-out when he was told he couldn't compete to start. And if the new GM doesn't think there is anybody in the league available who was at least capable of competing for a starting job with Geno? Then he's too dumb to be an NFL GM and we have even bigger problems. That's my point.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  18. jerseyjay14

in before nyjunc says fantasy stats only matter and Geno's 8 wins over fitz 6 makes him 1000000 times a better option

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Geno does make it as an NFL starter then you should re-evaluate Idzik's drafts. Esp the 2013 draft. He took the most criticism for drafting and going with Geno. But two years of bad play for a Qb isn't that unusual if they are immediately starting. This is the make or break year for him it's expected that he improves and cuts down on mistakes. If he can be a decent NFL starter then drafting him in the 2nd round was a good pick. Again for the front runners who only will accept immediate gratification and have zero patience (except for Mark Sanchez) it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft. And that goes for last year, too. And 2015. It isn't a slam dunk until Williams, Petty etc suit up on game day.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Thank you for doing this, wins matter more than meaningless fantasy stats. his team was 6-6 w/ him last year and 3-1 w/o him. He's not a winning QB, he's had a million chances now.

I am not pro Geno but w/ Geno we have some unknown territory, w/ Fitz we know he is a good backup and nothing more.