Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Fuck--How many times are we going to have to watch Gailey calmly talking to Geno on the bench after a dumbass interception/fumble/bonehead play like we had to watch Mornhingweg with Geno, like we had to watch Shotty with Sanchez, Cavanaugh with Sanchez, Vick with Geno--fuck me. I had hoped for average play from RF.

mgjetman22 and jerseyjay14 like this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is the most Bs argument you can make on a sports message board.

First of all people in positions of authority, especially here in the NFL since it is what we are talking about, get fired all the time for very good reasons having to do with poor performance. They made bad decisions and got fired. So you are not even only making the logically fallacious argument of appealing to authority, but in fact are appealing to false authority.

Chan Gailey was sitting on a couch for two years. No one else hired him. The Jets did not have to get him to take their offer intead of some other team's, or teams'.

So you must admit it is at least possible that he's making a mistake here, right?

More to the point it's not like we are talking about whether posters here can perform the whole job of being an OC. I don't have to know how to run practice for an NFL team to know that this was a shit move on Gailey's part. All I need to know to say that is to have been a Jet fan, know how Smith played the last two years, and know it is f'ing stupid to just hand him the job. That I am very well qualified to do.

jerseyjay14 and IDFjet like this.
  3. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Are you his mom? Does 5 posts out of a couple thousand hurt your feelings? He's not very good there's no denying it.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's an assumption based on taking Gailey at his word and assuming he's going to do exactly what he said.

5. Big Blocker

You often miss the point here. Nobody is saying we know that NOTHING can happen that just might change the situation.

We are talking here about what Gailey said and why he said it.

THe last thing most Jet fans want to see or hear is that Smith is being handed the starting job without having to earn it. That is totally obnoxious whatever day of the yaer it is.

Cman68 and IDFjet like this.
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know, right? How dare we discuss comments made by the Jets Offensive Coordinator yesterday on a Jets Fan Message Board? I forgot we agreed only to discuss Jets topics on this message board once the season starts.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  7. Big Blocker

I have been following the Jets for a long time, but for the last couple of years they have been monumentally inept at managing the Qb situation. It's been obvious to me Simms has never gotten a fair shot at the job, and it's not like Smith is clearly better. Yet you seem convinced Simms sucks. You sond like a Smith Fan who doesnt' want anyone else to take his job.

In case you weren't aware, that is how you come across. And you're welcome for me giving you that head's up.

mgjetman22 and James Hasty like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am not missing any point, you should look to think outside the box. You are complaining because Geno is #1 on the depth chart at this very moment - which is subject to change depending on poor performance or injury.

They can easily make a switch if they feel, Geno is not playing up to standards.

I'm not the one throwing the season away because of a remark made at the end of May.

9. Big Blocker

A very fair assumption, I will add. In fact if we are to assume Gailey meant something materially different from what he said, we have a very different and arguably worse problem.

10. 101GangGreen101

I don't think Geno is the answer at QB, but it's plain to see 2 years in, Geno is able to make all of the throws - if they are tailoring the offense to Geno's strengths, then let's see what he has to offer in TC / Preseason. This is all subject to change.

11. DoubleDecker87

I'm honored that you are a long time jets fan that makes your opinion so much more meaningful!! If you'd like to go back and see why I don't think Simms is worthy you can do that and while your at it take a look at the other posts. I cheered all year for #SuckForTheDuck, wanted to draft Mettenberger among others last year and would've loved to have added Matt Moore who could actually compete. A sorry journeyman coming off a broken leg and a career practice squad guy at best will not be better than Smith. Petty will hopefully have a chance next year but he's irrevelant this year.

12. Big Blocker

There you go, missing the point again. Call me crazy, but I am guessing it won't be teh last time you do, either. Like maybe your very next post.

I am complaining because Gailey said he is handing the starting job to Smith and there won't be any competition.

Try and pay attention.

As for making a switch, sure they can make a switch in mid season. After the team has lost games they might have won with better Qb play perhaps - the most logical reason ever to change out Qb's. After having spent camp and pre-season with the Qb you are switching out taking most or even all the first team reps, and then turning to your backup to ask him to save the season.

It's not like nothing is lost by investing in Smith.

13. Big Blocker

That's not an answer, but I didn't expect one. Have a nice day.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

saw Gailey's actual comments on SNY. It wasn't all that bad. Lets settle down. Myself included.

He didn't say there wouldn't be a competition, that headline was misleading. He also began his comments with "Right Now".. Idk. maybe we are reading into this one a little too much

Ralebird and FJF like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

There doesn't need to be a competition in my opinion, Fitz knows the playbook, he knows the system better then anyone. The moment, Geno starts messing up (2 games at most) - Bowles / Gailey will make the switch. I don't think it will take until mid-season to make that switch.

I believe you think Geno has a longer leash, but I disagree on that 110% - 2 bad games and he's done. Hell it might only take 1. Listen, I am not a fan of Geno Smith, but if by some crazy chance the kid breaks out and performs at a high level, it's going to give us the best chance to win going forward not just this season but for the future.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

FTFY

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Seems like its just the usual posters looking too much into it.

I'm sure if the Jets started 2-0 and Geno played great, we wouldnt see any of them.

Like I said, if week 1 rolls around, and Geno is clearly being outplayed, I'll be pissed.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

who is that you wanted?!?! you didnt answer the question asswipe...they did that with Fitzpatrick who was it they should have signed? I hate Geno but you could say anyone might not be worse

19. DoubleDecker87

I must've missed the question I was too busy entertaining a troll.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

For another starting QB. We don't have too many of those lying around.