Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep, that's my point the homers had no problem with the competition mantra. They didn't let your CBA doesn't allow for competition argument get in the way of approving that mantra. So why is it okay to have no competition now?

I case you are wondering, i don't buy that the CBA prevents there from being a competition. Does it make it marginally more difficult to do so? Perhaps. But if your Qb is like Smith, I want to see who might be able to do better than that shitshow.

mgjetman22 likes this.
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

geno at 100% isnt it to compete for anything either

3. jerseyjay14

it wouldnt be the first time a NY jet stunk up the place and we refused to pull him. as a jet QB you get minimum 12 chances and every excuse every made for you. we need to stop coddling these guys

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would bet a lot of money on him never seeing an NFL field as a starter. I'd probably put money on him never seeing an NFL field again period.

5. Big Blocker

Your third question is almost too depressing to consider. If I thought that was what was going on, I would not only have to give up on this coming season, bu the new guys running the show right from Mac down to Gailey.

6. jerseyjay14

sam bradford was traded

7. Big Blocker

Yep. The usual homers here who defend Smith and anything that breaks his way are offering the excuse that there's no better Qb on the roster. I get that theyh did not have a great list of options. But they did not really pursue a trade, either for a vet or to get Mariota. Fitz was offered as the best option for Smith's competition, and now we understand that despite the fact that he's the better Qb anyway, there's not even going to be a chance he will be given a chance to earn the job in camp and pre-season.

THat to me is the FO not doing its job.

If Mac, Bowles and Gailey came to the Jets, looked at Smith and the travesty he has been here, and thought they did not have to do anything more than sign Fitz as Smith's backup, then they are not cut out for the job at hand.

8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Not sure why this is such big news. We have a Journeyman QB with familiarity in the system ( but is recovering from a bum knee ). We have a complete unknown in Petty, and then we have Geno. The incumbent starter. Saying this now both puts pressure on Smith to get it right, and takes pressure off of Petty to get thrown into the fire to soon ( we know if he's going to be anything worth starting it's going to take time )

It would be significantly worse IMO to name Fitz or Petty the starter right now. Saying Geno is the starter now is like saying the grass is green. There are still 4 full months before TC. A lot can happen in that time frame.

9. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

For Nick Foles and other picks. The Browns offered a 1st and it wasn't enough. So like he said the asking price was too high.

10. Big Blocker

Just force of habit. That may not be a good reason, but I suppose it is a reason.

11. Big Blocker

I am probably wrong but I get the impression a very large percentage of your posts are all about dumping on Simms. Since he's never shat the bed for this team, do you have something personal against him?

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't understand.

13. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

It's obvious to me from reading most of these posts that the fans on this board are more qualified to run an NFL Offense than Chan Gailey. Also that we are doomed next year before OTA's even start and that it is all Geno Smith's fault (he's not even 25 and was poorly coached by Moronwheg).

14. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Little bit of research does the trick.

15. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Obviously Simms is the answer. Haven't you heard all of the news about how highly regarded he is by other teams? Teams offering the farm for this guy!!!

16. Big Blocker

Do you deny that you have spent many posts dumping on Simms?

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since 1984 (over thirty years). I've watched them be terrible more than I've watched them be good. It's not like there's anything else to watch on a Sunday afternoon.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

what in the fuck kind of logic is this ... every-time you post, you make me want to gauge my eyes out.

19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Strawman Argument: Where "acquire someone who might not be the worst starting QB in the league (and let him compete)" gets immediately translated into "trade for Aaron Rodgers."

Big Blocker likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's currently May 21st and you guys are both complaining about something that MIGHT NOT EVEN happen a few wks after training camp.

Take a chill pill, go grill some food, Memorial Day weekend is coming up.

Jets_Grinch likes this.