Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We can only hope they don't go DLine again in the first round.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

God, boys Calm Down! If anybody thinks that something important was announced today they haven't been paying attention. Exactly what would a "competition" entail for all you guys? Do you need these guys throwing timed passes into big nets on golf carts? How about a squad of interns charting every single time a QB touched a ball in camp? Maybe written tests for these guys daily?

It's amazing that so many people here pecking away at their phones and keyboards know so much more about personnel, schemes, and football in general than those who apparently just won a lottery for NFL personnel and coaching positions. Here's my prediction: when September comes around, the best healthy quarterback wearing a Jets uniform will be playing the game.

Turbocharged23, FJF and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

SMART move! Fitz is a journeyman backup, and Petty won't be ready for at least another year. It should have been obvious to everyone that Geno would be the starter this season, barring a disaster, so why drag it out and invite a media circus? A QB competition would quickly deteriorate into a QB controversy here, and reporters would be swarming practices looking for blood. Now they can just ignore the QB position, focus on the offense in general, and allow Geno some space to breathe (and learn the offense). Besides, he will need practically all the snaps if he's going to master this new offense by september. Dividing up the 1st team reps would only hinder the development of all involved. If you try to get everybody ready to potentially start, the end result is that nobody is ready, for the simple fact that nobody will get enough reps.

SMART SMART move by Bowles and co! :)

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The only way we don't go D-Line first round is if we don't have a first round pick!

Cman68 likes this.
  5. DoubleDecker87

And I'm honestly shocked how many of you think Fitz can step right in as if he's a good QB. We want to believe he's better than what we have but being realistic he's not. If he gets his shot and surprises us then so be it but let's relax he's not all that great. Rather take the young guy.

Dreadmadseen and Truth4U2 like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Bowles and Mac had at least implied if not outright said there would be a QB competition so this statement from Gailey is at least inconsistent with the company line. That is what is most troubling to me. I don't think it was ok for him to say this.

In addition, he seems to have no fucking idea about how bad GS has performed. A few throws has caused him to dismiss 2 years worth of evidence indicating GS cannot read thru progressions, cannot anticipate a blitz, and makes many cognitive errors. Gailey's statement says more about his own incompetence than it does about GS. Hopefully he just speaks like an idiot and actually can call a good game.

If Bowles came out and said GS was a changed man and he's already won the job, that would be ok. I predict we won't hear much from Gailey in the future as Mac and Bowles put the muzzle on him. At least I hope this is the case.

7. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

No disrespect intended for anyone on this board, but I don't think any of us has OC credentials. If Gailey saw on film that Geno can run the offense he has planned, then who are we to question it until Geno throws 4 interceptions in week 1? The announcement was a surprise to me too, considering the success Fitzpatrick has had in the past with Gailey. But I also see that by naming him the starter in May, perhaps it will give Geno more confidence thinking that the coaching staff believes in him. He won't have to share the reps he did his first 2 years, so he will get more time with the starters and maybe be a bit more polished when the Browns come to town. Maybe I'm just not "darksider" enough, but I tend to believe in the coaches until it's proven they were wrong.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Good! I am not influenced by the media. I really think that coaches know more than me.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

HINT: Rex was told he had to start Geno. The biggest clue should have been we played a game with Geno at QB where he threw 13 passes - and 5 of them were in the last two minutes of the game when we were losing.

10. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

All reports have been that he's not the same Geno Smith as what we saw the last 2 years. He was a very young, immature rookie, so it was unrealistic for any fan to think he would mature and develop in 2 short years, especially with virtually no weapons around him and piss poor offensive coaches. In fact, it's amazing he did as well as he did under those circumstances!

They're saying that a light has come on for Geno, and it's usually not until year 3 or 4 that most QB's really start to come into their own. Bowles and Gailey should be applauded for recognizing the signs that the average fan does not, and having the forward-thinking savvy to plan for what will happen this year and beyond, not what is in the past.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  11. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

Here we go again. All ready to concede the beginning of the season. Looks like Fitz will be trying to prove himself with the #2's. This pisses me off but I'm not going to get too excited yet because Ray Charles could beat Gena out in a competition.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. DoubleDecker87

You don't honestly believe that the Chan Gailey has made him mind up while watching tag football do you? I guarantee he's watched every game Geno has played in two or three times at least by now. Nobody wins a job in OTA's let alone after the first day. I highly doubt he's not on the same page as Bowles and I'd be shocked if this came as a surprise to Geno or Fitz because of him announcing it so early. I would've preferred a competition to push Geno but I'm okay with letting Geno take control and lead like QB's are suppose to if that's the plan.

13. DanR

DanR Active Member

This is good. If Geno sucks then bench him permanently. No indecisiveness like with the Rex era.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why should Chan Gailey give a shit about how Geno performed under a totally different OC in a totally different system without a star WR and a deep threat to throw to? Stay in denial if you want, but there are plenty of people that have come out and talked about how Geno has all the tools to be successful but just hasn't been able to put it together. I don't think it's crazy for a coach to think he can get the best out of a guy that fits the system he runs.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  15. JACKSONVILLE JET

This is hardly news, Bowles said the same thing weeks ago. However I did prefer how he expressed it.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

To me, this sounds like he's putting some mistakes on Marty. I think Geno is good for the concepts that Gailey wants to run, and he put extra emphasis on watching those plays.

“He can throw the ball,” Gailey said. “He was making good decisions when it was clean reads. That’s what you try to do – you try to make it clean reads for him. We evaluated how he threw the ball, how he handled himself when there was pressure, how he handled himself when things broke down, all those little things like that. He can make every throw in the book, now. He can make them all. You don’t find many that can do that. You try to find a guy that can do that and you give him every opportunity to be successful.”

Dreadmadseen and Brook! like this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Is this opposite day?

19. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Heard this last yr also.
    geno has been giving plenty of chances to help himself and has crapped himself every time and will do so again. Unless he takes care of the ball, stops turns overs he is gone something he has not done. face it I hope geno does well but all signs points to him sucking again this year. I puke a little every time or read items like the above because the above does not make him successful on the filed. he has been more then enough chances and has failed every time go with hope and I hope you are right I will go by the record and the past and that should prove out.
    I work with a bill fans who swears chan is gonna turn geno into a qb, that is like turning a turd into a diamond i don't think it is possible

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Stopped there because:

a.) We didn't add a star receiver last year.
    b.) We didn't add a deep threat last year.
    c.) We didn't change to a system that fits Geno.

Rictor33, Dreadmadseen and Truth4U2 like this.