Article: Current player - Todd Bowles couldn't be more different than Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Charlie Kelly, May 14, 2015.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

My guess is Nick Mangold

http://www.metro.us/sports/current-...ifferent-than-rex-ryan/zsJoen---t7M2ZkWwYgNY/

Meet the anti-Rex.

Todd Bowles may be a first-year head coach and just a few months into the job, but already he has clearly defined himself and what his tenure with the New York Jets will look like. And that legacy is, in many ways, the polar opposite of the former head coach Rex Ryan, fired after six years with the Jets and four seasons without the postseason.

He's had experience on Sundays, eight seasons as a safety for three different teams, and plenty of time on an NFL sideline as a position coach, defensive coordinator and also as an interim head coach. He knows a locker room from the perspective of someone sitting on a stool with the pads and helmet on, to someone now addressing a team – his team – in his still, quiet way.

And now with the Jets, Bowles is putting his stamp on his team as he fully gets integrated into the job. Voluntary veterans minicamp is done, so to is rookie minicamp. The team is beginning to take shape and take root as the players vying to make this squad begin to get a sense about who he is as a man, as a head coach.

That sense? That Bowles and Rex couldn't be further apart.

“He doesn't say much but what he says counts,” one player told Metro. The player didn't want his name used because, in his words, “I'm not into taking shots at Rex, who is a good man and a good coach.

“Todd keeps it brief. He wants us to be men and act like men. He's not a 'rah-rah' guy. He gets his point across and then we go to work. It's different – very different – around here.”

The player, who has been a starter with the Jets the past several seasons, paints the picture of a locker room that, over the past year, began to tire of Ryan's routine. It isn't a bashing of their old coach, per se, just that he didn't fit this team anymore.

There was some significant “tuning out” of Ryan last year, the player said, as their old head coach was seen “more like a friend than a coach.” That hurt discipline and accountability, something that this player says won't be an issue under Bowles.

Already, those around the facility are noting the Bowles work ethic. He speaks softly, they say, but he's a workaholic.

For those who have been in this Jets locker room for awhile, the switch to Bowles couldn't be more stark. He isn't a man of many words and he isn't flashy but who Bowles is and how he presents himself is perhaps what this team needs now more than ever.

Over the past four years, the Jets have a combined 26-38 record with no playoff appearances over that span. It is a contrast to the two years before – Ryan's first two years with the Jets in 2009 and 2010 – when a veteran team twice went within a game of the Super Bowl. He went from a coaching genius to someone eventually fired by a team that idolized him and got their identity from him.

Not much changed about 'Rex' but what did change was his personnel.

Ryan's shtick during those first two years was perfect for that team, a collection of veterans who were well-established and didn't need a strict head coach. But as his team got younger, his loosey-goosey style didn't work well.

“Again, I don't want to bash Rex, but sometimes it seemed like the rules weren't there,” the player said. “He was a player's coach that's for sure. But even that can go too far.”

Case in point last year when several players, including quarterback Geno Smith, were late to a team meeting in San Diego because they were at a movie. The consequences? There were none.

“Coach Bowles is very straightforward. He doesn't waste words,” another player told Metro by phone this week. “It's a change. You have to respect the man, he is very detail-oriented. He really spells things out. There is no shades of confusion with him. He spells it out. Our expectations, out itinerary. It's impressive.”

As of right now, the player said that there has been no slogan, no 'Play Like a Jet' moniker like the one that Ryan implemented in 2009.

“With coach Bowles, I'm not sure that's important,” the second player said.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Give Bowles 6 years. They'll be saying shit about him too. Goes with the territory.

When Rex came in he was so diff from Mangini the team (and fans) loved him.

When Bowles came in he was so different from Ryan the team (and fans) love him.

Bump this thread in 6 years!

BigGreenUgly, ajax, Jets69 and 7 others like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

If you win a championship you keep the respect

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great article!

My guess Is that Rex takes the high road and responds with :"F*ck that anonymous starter that withheld his name out of respect for me. f*uck him!!!!"

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bowles has to show us how he will turn the team around with the gifts Mac has given him. I hope the players play hard for him. But it's an absolute relief to be done with the classless, garbage mouth Ryan, an adolescent in professional coaches clothing. I think Bowles will coach circles around him fat or thin

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I couldn't be happier that Rex is gone and we've got a guy like Bowles in charge.
    Now let's see it translate into a winning team on the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That anonymous guy better watch his back

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles has potential to be a great HC, but I said the same about Rex - he just didn't grow as a HC

9. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

And th second player... Maybe brick

10. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Though you have to admit, his GM's didn't help

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Old habits die hard, his fingerprints are all over BUF right now, I question some of those decisions.

jetsons likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I thought things were going last year.

I get the feeling that Rex's career in Buffaloe will take a similar arc.

He'll blow his wad within 2 years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

More anonymous quotes? Smh.

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Lol

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Amaro will play entire game vs Buffalo be targeted five time drop three and score two TDs. Rex pulls a Woody Hayes and punches him resulting in 6 game suspension. Reduced to 4 on appeal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

rex ryan isn't a real nfl hc. the ravens saw that and passed, the nyj couldn't see it and gave him 6 years where he got worse and worse as the years went on. in his last two seasons, basically all his wins were garbage time when we were already eliminated.

i lol at the bills for giving this guy 25 mil over 5 years. now that is a joke for a franchise with zero vision.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That's just f'ing stupid. You don't make it to back to back AFCCG if you aren't a "real " nfl coach.

The Ravens not hiring him doesn't mean he isn't a real HC, it means they though Harbaugh was better, and he is. Harbaugh is better than most coaches but that doesn't mean they aren't real either.

Less bashing, more logic next time.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Definitely interesting to hear and I'm not really surprised that they operate so differently. I think it'll be good for guys who were getting too comfortable with Rex to get an awakening under Bowles.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I honestly would have been fine if Rex had Maccagnan by his side. Let's not act like Rex just came and gave us some magical unheard of spark out of the blue. We put together two pretty solid teams and from there it depleted year by year. I'm not even trying to defend Rex, i like Bowles.. im just saying lets not act like he just suddenly became a bad coach because he was still coaching the hell out of those bum teams.. 2013 in particular.

Toronto's Biggest likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Guy, you couldn't be more wrong imo. It's a pretty well-known fact that when a player's coach follows a strict disciplinarian that for a year or two they play much better, then things come crashing back down to earth. Rex inherited a solid, disciplined, smart veteran team with excellent chemistry and veteran leaders all over the place. Rex helped dismantle that team in 2011 and 2012. As the team became more and more Rex's in style of play, in personnel, and in attitude, they got progressively worse. Rex is a good DC. He was a lousy HC. Let's not pretend that he was. He still has no clue: how to manage the clock, timeouts, anything about offense, when to shut up, how to handle BYE weeks, how to prepare his team for games following BYE weeks, how to prepare his team about 60% of the time, how to handle a QB, and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.