46 D alignment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, May 9, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

What a tough SOB. Loved watching him.

[​IMG]
    _

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt go 46, because i think that:

a) we can stop the run out our nickle package
    b) we can cover better our of our nickel package
    c) we can still get to the passer as well out of nickel package.

I think the concept is the same though, same alignment, 4 lineman + mauldin/pace/couples on the LOS with davis in the middle and the DBs behind him with the strong safety lined up over the tight end.

3. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Yeah, I think I would just call it our 4-dime package. Really just looks like a 4-3 based dime, where both outside linebackers are swapped for dbs. As far as the front goes for this formation, you could toss those guys in a yatzee shaker and play what ever comes out. They are all big versital athletic players capable of exploiting the inevitable 1 on 1 all along the O-line.

4. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Ah man any Internet forum thread title that starts 46 D must contain pics of breasts, that's the rules of the internet all the rubbish ^^^^^ has disappointed me greatly

One eye and themorey like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

IK Enemkpali, and Jason Babin. Also, Leonard Williams is a freak athlete and can beat tackles off the edge. Bowles also likes to blitz so we got that going for us anyway.

It's time for the Jets to free IK on those garbage ass Buffalo QBs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Who?

Jake likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

find out soon enough - maybe you should worry about your own team, I mean eventually you guys have to get into the playoffs right?

rohirrim665 likes this.
  8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Perhaps because of our monster DLine, Jason Babin (who, I admit, is old) was actually very productive last year.

This is what PFF had to say: "Jason Babin's career took a turn for the worse in Jacksonville, recording a -6.7 overall grade in 21 games for the Jaguars, thanks in large part to a -8.8run defense grade. However a move to the New York Jets, coupled with a position switch (from defensive end in a 4-3, to outside linebacker in a 3-4) have helped Babin get back to his best; his+13.3 overall grade is the seventh-best in the league at the position."

I think this says more about the Jets defensive system than it does about Babin himself. We will get passrush whether or not our OLBs are top-notch.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The Big Cat

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is the extremely important part about this alignment especially against good quarterbacks. When teams that have Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees type quarterbacks, they'll sub in two additional wide receiver and just let the quarterback count the amount of players the defense has in the box. Peyton is notorious for this and it's a huge reason why the Broncos running game took off. He spreads the defense out and runs the ball down teams throat when they overcompensate and only run with four lineman and two backers against the run. It's simple, 5 blockers on 5 defenders and you allow the runningback to account for outrunning the weakside defender/making him miss.

I don't think teams will have that success against us in our sub packages. You know that you need to for one of Wilk/Richardson/Harrison with at least two blockers in the run game, so that will really leave two defenders to tackle the ball carrier. It'll be incredibly hard to run against us in general, but teams won't have the luxury of gutting us in our base packages. It makes team a lot more one dimensional when they sub.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

46 D Alignment

#32 Footballgod214, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    jetsons and joe like this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Nice alignment for such big tires. Excellent high beams too...

Prolly outside of Westhoff's scope

#33 Walt White, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

It's about time someone got this thread on track

#34 GreenWhiteandGold, May 10, 2015
    jetsons and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

The coaches have so many options with this type of quality D-line that just does not happen often. They can keep guys fresh the whole game, They have more flexibility with formations, and they have depth in case of injury.

The pressure is on the opposing coaches to figure out how to beat it. It is harder to wear down, It can line up in almost any formation and still be just a effective.

JETFIGHTERS and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup. How many teams have had 4 number one picks standing shoulder to shoulder on the Dline? Could be history making in terms of alignments.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#37 joe, May 11, 2015
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Humina Humina

#38 jetsons, May 11, 2015
  19. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I would play Coples as a tackle, he plays the run & actually pressures the QB more effectively from inside the box... Sheldon, Leonard & Wilk can take turns at any D-line position... Snacks would play an O-line eating run stuffer.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i hate when people say we have no edge rushers lol. Bowles blitzes from all over..and our d-line plus williams will create plenty of pressure as it is. Somebody is gonna have to get doubled (assuming Leo Williams continues to be the beast he is). With lineman trying to figure out who to double on our d-line leaves easy access for whoever is blitzing. And on top of all that, you got 2 really good corners, and a head hunter roaming around the middle just waiting to feast (pryor). Only thing that concerns me about our defense really is covering slot guys with skrine "the penalty machine" and receiving TE's going across the middle deeper than where Pryor will be roaming. Gilchrist really isn't all that from what i have seen in SD in coverage.. hopefully antonio allen can fill that void. Still, i think it's going to take a top notch QB to pick our defense apart, any average joe's will be in for a verrrry long day... and with that being said, we won't need elite edge rushers to get pressure.. we have a good enough secondary to give the 4 animals up front a chance to get to the QB.. and don't sleep on Lorenzo Mauldin kid is beast off the edge.