46 D alignment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, May 9, 2015.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  2. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Far be it for me to tell Mike Westhoff what a 46 defensive set should look like but that second personnel grouping sure looks like dime personnel and alignment. The first set he had displayed looked a lot more like a 46 although he didn't really show what techniques the linemen were in and had them all head up on a blocker,

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Rex used 46 defense packages its nothing new ,there are some amazing blitz packages with a 46 defense.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Should be excited because of the personnel we have now but we've used this look a lot since 09.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Rex?....take the Rex underwear off already. It's not about then it's about now.
    The fact that Rex mixed it up should tell people that versatility is the game

People are too concerned with labels..they have 4-5 guys that can do anything across the line of scrimmage to run anything they want. They're not pigeon holed to any D, or look for a better word

#5 Walt White, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Royal Tee likes this.
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Westhoff is a terrific special teams coach, but what is shown in the photograph is not a basic 46 defense. A base 46 (as it was run by the Bears and Eagles) features a nose tackle over the center, and the two defensive tackles in the B-gaps. It's often referred to as a "Double Eagled 50" because it's really a 3-4 formation with both OLBs on the line of scrimmage and acting as de facto defensive ends. What is shown in the photograph is a 40 formation with dime personnel - which is not a 46.

EDIT:
    This is what a base 46 looks like:

[​IMG]

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

How would the Jets be "terrorizing quaterbacks" without any pass rushers? Your best pass rusher is a 300 lb Sheldon Richardson. You have no edge rushers and haven't for some time. Wilkerson and Richardson are great players, but not in the pass rushing department. You'll have to blitz.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is interesting because everything I've heard says that Bowles loves his nickel and dime packages and he wants to get as many DBs on the field as he can every play, wouldn't expect him to stack the front with a 46 but I guess he does.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I understand the point and I thought the same but the front 3 actually wreaks havoc by itself, I don't quite understand how it does it. They were 6th in the league in sacks despite the fact that they had no corners and hence hardly any time to get to the QB. Rex was also very creative with blitzes which Bowles is as well. I'd expect that with adding Williams and giving the line more time to work by bolstering the secondary, the pass rush numbers should go up in tandem.

10. LongIslandBlitz

The thread made it seem like the 46 defense is some new thing we haven't seen before,Most fans don't have a clue what package is out on the field and this thread proves that.Buddy Ryan invented the 46 defense,and its called 46 because of Doug Planks jersey number ...46 doesn't have anything to do with how many des or lbs are on the field like a 3-4 or 4-3

#10 LongIslandBlitz, May 9, 2015
    Walt White likes this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

And by the way wtf is a 46 D alignment? "46 D Alignment" sounds like a Goodyear special to fix your shitty tires

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is what 46 looks like these days?

Okay. U got it, coach.

I would think the 3 DT alignment in the interior of the tackle box, along with OLB/SS double-team on TE would be it. [That's what makes this "46 machine" go anyway.] Then, even with the other 6 guys in zone coverage, defense can create SOME semblance of 5-men rush that can actually outnumber a certain point of protection.

You see - that's what 46 is in a nutshell. The more the offense brings people in to protect the QB, the stronger 46 gets. QB literally has no idea who is coming, and is usually throwing from deep inside the well of a pocket.

And that's why 46 went out of fashion quick - in today's offense, offenses spread out. And this is the correct antidote for 46, as now the defense has to spread out, making it easier for the QB to see the intention of each defender.

#12 Zach, May 9, 2015
  13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We had a good pass rush even last year our corners didn't allow it to show itself as much as it should have

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

your point?

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Don't feed a troll that can't even understand a simple geometry.

#15 Zach, May 9, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The corners should help this year for sure, I didn't think about that.

17. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

I think it's just a matter of the 2 defenses sharing the same name, he should have made a distinction between the 46 vs. the 4-6. In his formation, there are 4 d-line men and 6 db's. The original 46 was named after #46 Doug Plank, strong safety for the Buddy Ryan Bears.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

when i saw this Jets Nation, first thing i thought was this D is not a 46..
    bears no resemblance to what the Ryan's would run.

think you are right, in that it is referencing 4 down lineman and 6 DB's..
    should be called something else tho.

in any event, whatever its called, it is a potentially exciting D.
    Bowles loves putting DB's out there, and we have an abundance of talent up front in which we'll need to creatively utilize.
    think i'd line Williams up as the end, and keep Sheldon as the tackle tho.
    or line up both Williams and Sheldon as T's, and keep Wilk and Coples on the Ends.

19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Bowles did great things with an Arizona D that on paper wasnt the most talented. Peterson had a down year in his defense which just wont happen with Revis.

Pryor and Coples are the two guys Im anxious to see play this year. With all the talent around there are no excuses for these two 1st rounders to not have outstanding seasons.

20. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

If that is the case and he was talking strictly on field personnel maybe he should have called it a 4-1-6. The fact that he coached with Rex whose father invented the Bears 46 defense yet he's here calling a dime set the 46 defense is very confusing