Mo Wilkerson: Is He Worth It?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, May 6, 2015.

?

How do the NY Jets handle the Mo Wilkerson situation?

1. 1) Pay him exactly what he demands

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 2) Keep him only if the price is right

59 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. 3) Trade him now and try to get multiple first round picks

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. 4) Put it off untill next offseason

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm not sure we extend Wilk this year and I'm not sure he doesn't try to sit out. Listening to Mac he doesn't sound like someone going out of his way to get Wilkerson signed. His comments are "we aren't shopping him" but he admits he has discussions with other teams about him. He doesn't say he is now turning his attention to him now that the draft is over or that signing him is a priority. Really there is no positives there. I am guessing his agent is being ridiculous and we are in the process of moving on. That said he is under contract this year and we can franchise him next so we can make his life pretty miserable if that's what we want to do.

johnny likes this.
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I'm still pissed we gave harris that stupid contract... especially now that he is trending more and more as a 2 down player.

we could have given someone like rolondo mcclain 2.5 M, and given that extra 5 million to wilkerson to keep him happy.

3. jerseyjay14

we would probably get a first. 3-4 DEs who can get to the passer are a rare breed in a league where most teams now go 3-4.

multiple firsts, not sure

4. jerseyjay14

agreed. if im trading mo for a player, id want a left tackle, not a 30 year old running back

5. jerseyjay14

1) runningbacks, even elite ones, arent all that valuable in the NFL. especially without a solid line/QB.
    2) you can never have enough pass rushers
    3) 30 year old runningbacks fall off quickly

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Well. what about trading Mo for a QB?!?! Are there any realistic options there?

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's a star DE, for sure. But there is no way a team will give up a first and then pay the man big bucks.

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

ADP has huge contract, is 30 years old and has a surgically reconstructed knee. He would be perpetuating the cycle of RBs that go to the Jets to die.

All that for giving up an all pro level defensive lineman just entering the prime of his career and maybe a getting a 4th round pick at best to level the deal

Having said that, I already know that you have a history of severely undervaluing Wilks worth so i know I won't make a dent

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am confused.

Are you referring to Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, or LaDanian Tomlinson?

10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Nice job on this one!

James Hasty likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. IMO that would be taking a huge risk. Right now they have leverage. Williams would have to play at a high level for them to maintain that leverage. If he's a bust or only plays so-so, they lose leverage. It also sets a bad precedent. Mac said that he was waiting until after the draft was over to deal with Mo's negotiations. He should be true to his word. If not, he will lose credibility. There's nothing to be gained by waiting. That would risk totally alienating Mo and his agents, send a bad message to Richardson and other Jets players, as well as other potential future Jets that Mac isn't a man of his word. Thus, nothing can be gained by putting it off until next season. In addition, that's not the way to deal with problems. One needs to address them head on, and not procrastinate or kick them down the road to the future.

#71 NCJetsfan, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  12. James Hasty

There is something to be said for seeing how Mo fits into the new defensive scheme but for the most part you hit the nail on the head.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I say we keep Mo for the two more years that we can; while we determine what we have in Leonard Williams. Let Wilkerson play under his current contract this year, then use the franchise tag on him in 2016.

14. Charlie Kelly

Not a very nice job, actually, since Thomas Jones did not end his career with the Jets and Curtis Martin spent the vast majority of his career with us, so you can rule them out. Tomlinson is definitely on that list, though, even having a nice first year with the team, his skills deteriorated and he fizzled out and retired. Chris Johnson is another, unless some team shockingly signs him. That's how you begin a cycle, and Peterson would most likely perpetuate that cycle

15. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

It's a fucking business if people are swayed on his and his agents here say then would we actually want them to be retained. These players know not everyone can be signed and other teams might have to sign them to get paid. They are all aware of the salary cap. It's a new regime and they also know that as well they will let this play out. IF WILKERSON WAS SMART he would take a paycut to help allow the team to surround himself and the organization with talent instead of being a selfish prick IMO

James Hasty likes this.
  16. James Hasty

Sorry, one bad apple (Chris Johnson) does not a cycle make.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

In a heart beat

18. Charlie Kelly

Who is talking bad apples? Do you even know what I am talking about? I'm saying that continuing to showcase RBs who are entering the twilight of their careers for the sake of getting value for a top 10 defensive lineman just entering his prime is just a bad idea. And you have provided zero sense to contradict me aside from snarky one liners that don't help your own argument

Not to mention that fact that, again, you severely undervalue Wilkerson

19. James Hasty

Thomas Jones and LaDanian Tomlinson got us back to back AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez at QB.

ADP with this defense can get us the Lombardi while Mo can sit on the bench and watch Sheldon and Williams play football.

That is what I am saying.

You have done nothing but criticize the RB position only to look foolish as it has been so good to us recently.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I voted to keep him and I don't necessarily think the Williams pick effects it right away anyway. There were several guys ahead of him in 2013 also. Tho it was deserved by him. He's been one our better players, and so there's been a buzz about it for several years.

He's just not up there with JJ Watt and Mario Williams and others. I would like to see him stop the Hula dance also.
    Maybe he breaks out this year under Bowles. Maybe Mac&Bowles are sayin' 'show me'. Mo made his statement now it's time to show them

One thing I hope is that Mac is better prepared to keep the roster rolling over better than we've seen is several years too. After 2010 our roster nosed dived. Mac drafted two DLineman, and signed an UDFA DLineman too.