Why does Geno Smith receive so much hate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 5, 2015.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We will have to disagree on Fitzpatrick...

About Geno Smith - I will just say you are putting way too much stock in a singular incident and judging him unfairly. If he was out there not giving a shit or way too high when doing well and way too low when struggling I would agree with you but he's not. And the draft thing is way, way overblown.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, apparently some Jet fans are even harsh on a very good Qb like Kenny O'Brien. But Vinny got a lot of love here, and Pennington did as well until he could not stay on the field and became more a hindrance than a help.

In fact some Jet Qb's over the years have gotten more love than they objectively might be entitled to, from Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan, all the way up to Greg McElroy and Matt Simms.

I was bothered that many Chad fans were so down on Favre when he was here, but it did seem that Favre had issues with playing here, so it was not a clear cut situation even for someone like me who was happy to have a quality Qb in town for once.

In other words it is a much more mixed bag than you suggest, and I think what you are really talking about is Sanchez and Smith. Of coures they are not the same player, and had different situations.

But I think the one thing that bothers me that was/is common to both is that both had the job more or less handed to them, and they did not take advantage of the opportunity. As between them I would not say Sanchez gave off some sense of entitlement, but since he was here longer, it was his declining performacne culminating in the butt fumble that ruined his standing with the fans. That and the contract extension he did not deserve.

Smith is an even more obnoxious situation. He was picked by a newbie GM and was the opening day starter. He sucked, but gave a glimmer of (false) hope to end his first season. We all hoped for a real competition, and that was promised by the morons running the team. Instead we got the false hope of the Vick FA signing, and no real competition after all.

Meanwhile Smith shows no tangible improvement in his sophomore year, and adds missing meetings and a generally smug attitude, while continuing the sense of entitlement.

I wanted Sanchez gone, but I didn't hate him. I will admit to having a decided dislike for Smith as a person, though. He seems like an entitled asshole to me who does not get it. I would prefer to never have him take the field again with a Jets uni on.

3. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I live and work in the Metro DC area..and have for the last 20 years.

Baltimore fans stick by their team. They will get on Flacco and then admit that the team has other issues (when it does). Jets fans look at a ramshackle jalopy and bitch at the driver when the other race cars leave it in the dust.

Jets fans by and large practice negative reinforcement, which is completely different than Ravens fans (and even 'skins fans).

4. BrowningNagle

disagree big time.
    and they still don't appreciate Flacco in Baltimore. Even Harbaugh has to stick up for his SB MVP winning QB in their own city!

5. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, going from some crazy number to 13 INTs "showing no tangible improvement..."?

See, here's the thing, if you're going to critique a guy, move past your gut and go to the stats. Ignoring the stats give credence to the notion that you're hating.

Smith showed some improvement, especially after the benching and especially after two positions were shored up: OG and WR (Decker became healthy and Harvin was traded for).

I'm fine with critiquing a guy. But just slamming him unjustly seems hateful.

DoubleDecker87 and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Ha, and Browning thought I was judging Geno harshly. Thats the sense I get with Geno too BB. But I will give discretion to the new coaching staff and GM. If they think he can be salvaged, thats OK by me.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

You might judge Geno Smith a little to harsh (might not be wrong though) but BB judges diabolically by comparison to you

8. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

The number of Flacco Jerseys worn on Fridays during football season in Columbia, MD seem to refute this.

Baltimore fans expect to win and are happy when they do. Jets fans expect to lose and are happy to beat down a guy when they lose. Again, if the Jets win, there's no joy shown. When they lose, all manner of insults reign down. Contrast that with the DC, if the Redskins win, the city is bustling, happy. When they lose all is quiet. And, when the 'skins lose, they don't point at RGIII and say, wow you are fuck up. They look at the entire TEAM and point out the flaws...in ALL the units.

Jets fans practice negative reinforcement, with the expected results: THEY are unhappy.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Geno sucks as a quarterback. As a person he seems to be ok. He's a young guy and has made a few mistakes. Not easy for a 21 year old kid to be in the NYC limelight without fucking up a little. But there was never anything sinister about this guy. Just stupidity like the sexting, the airport diatribe even the movie fiasco. He has a chance to prove his detractors wrong this year by putting it all together and playing good football. There is a lot of talent there and he's shown it at times. He's had 29 starts which is a lot after only two seasons in the NFL. He has had the opportunity. Which most never get. But that is going to close quickly unless he improves drastically this season.

10. BrowningNagle

The number of jerseys in columbia MD? lol

All fan bases are negative. Baltimore/Washington/Philly/ Jets fans... they are all negative and quick to bash when the team under performs. they aren't any different from us as Jets fans in Baltimore. If they had to deal with Geno Smith they'd be just as bad. If we had Flacco and that team we'd be just the same. Cheering when they win the SB but booing the QB off the field less than 9 months after winning a SB MVP for throwing 2 INTs in a game against the division leader (something I saw with my own eyes btw in Baltimore)

Fans will be negative a-holes everywhere but the true mark is passion. If a fan base starts not giving a shit like they do in Jax for example, then you know you have a bad fan base. We don't have that here and there are very few NFL markets where thats the case

11. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

One more thing about Jets fans. Sorry, many of you may fit this description.

I grew up in New Rochelle many years ago. So, I've been a jets fan since I got my first Joe Namath vibrating football set.

But since I've moved, I find that when I see Jets fan, especially if they are from NY, down here. They are almost always assholes. First, they act as if living down in DC is beneath them, even when they live in Jersey. Then, as soon as things don't go well, they become the most bitter, yet arrogant, assholes you'd ever want to meet. The sense of entitlement seems off the charts with these folks: my team lost, so now I'm going to be the biggest asshole possible.

It's very rare that I'll meet a Jets fan from NY/NJ that I would really want to spend three hours watching a Jets game with. I'll admit, part of it is the Black/White thing: there's a level of distrust that is clearly evident. If we were both in NY we'd not be hanging out and the Jets aren't enough to change that dynamic. But man, the model of Jets fans seems to be either they are the biggest asshole you'd ever want to smell or they are whiny bitches expecting to lose (or both somehow).

It's disappointing...

Rictor33 likes this.
  12. Big Blocker

I will admit I am sick of watching him. But I think I have good reason to be so.

In my own defense I think those who are still hopeful about him have moved from a "he could at least in theory get better" assessment to one based more on wishful thinking that his performances to date do not really support. I am not a big fan of wishful thinking.

13. Big Blocker

I don't really want to spend too much time on this thread since I hope we don't see Smith anymore. But ftr the record the key word in your post is "can" - meaning Smith might be, not that he is very likely to be. The new guys may well think it is within the realm of theoretical possibility that Smith can be as you put it salvaged, which in turn I take it to mean turned into a decent NFL Qb without leaving too much blood on the floor, as in Jet losses and another season down the toilet. Okay on that in theory. And then there's that unfortunately the situation did not give them many achievable alternatives for Qb.

But if they think it likely that he will, well, I would have to wonder about them.

14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

What wishful thinking? How about the concrete numbers of his "perfect rating" Miami game? and the tangible results of his decreased INT numbers over the course of the past season?

In the end, it's ALL wishful thinking and hoping: for Geno Smith, for the team, for life in general. I guess it's what or who you decide is worthy of hope.

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

People arent that different.

I truly think in most cases, a fans attitude is based on the success of the team.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

How does any of that prove that he isn't accountable? Playing like shit=unaccountable? I thought those were two separate things.

17. PulseJet

Thats a good point about fan base passion. I'm very glad the Jets made the changes they did and seem to have a competent GM. I am looking forward to this year. If the Jets kept on the same course I could have seen the fan base entering Jax fan ambivalence.

Big Blocker and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. PulseJet

There are bad fans nearly everywhere. Its usually not because they are bad people, its because they are bad drunks.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

somewhat but NYG had 2 SB wins before 2007 and they wanted Eli and Coughlin gone. Then after 2010 despite Eli & Coughlin winning a SB in 2007 they wanted Eli and Coughlin gone again. I think it's more region than fanbase but w/ the negativity of our fanbase it is worse here than other spots or for other teams in NY.