Mo Wilkerson: Is He Worth It?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, May 6, 2015.

?

How do the NY Jets handle the Mo Wilkerson situation?

1. 1) Pay him exactly what he demands

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 2) Keep him only if the price is right

59 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. 3) Trade him now and try to get multiple first round picks

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. 4) Put it off untill next offseason

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

Now that the NFL Draft is over, it is time to decide the fate of NY Jets star DE Mo Wilkerson.

Mike Maccagnan, has stated that he will address the Mo Wilkerson contract negotiation, post draft. Now that we have drafted Leonard Williams, it seems more likely that we will hold off on the negotiation until next offseason, and use Williams as leverage against Mo.

There have been reports that Mo Wilkerson and his agent are asking for upwards of a 40M guaranteed contract. If we were to cave in to his demands, we could potentially cripple the salary cap for years to come and lose out on resigning Sheldon Richardson. Keep in mind we already have Revis on a monstrous contract that will already cause cap problems in future offseason.

Now it is time to ask ourselves. Is Mo Wilkerson potentially worth the risk of dishing out huge guaranteed money, just to get him to stay, when we have Leonard Williams ready to take over his role for chump change?

I like Wilkerson but not for a King's Ransom. In my opinion, I would be open for trade talks if Wilkerson isn't willing to move off his astronomical money demands. Might as well try and get some assets for him before we loose him in FA for nothing.

Is he in the same ballpark skill wise as J.J Watt and Suh? I tend to think not.

Lets Discuss...

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Pay him if the price is not. If not, I have no issue with giving this GM extra draft picks to work with!

Or..... Can we trade him for Philip Rivers? :)

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

With the Williams pick we hold the leverage.

We can live with or without Mo on defense.

Now we have to look at how much it will cost to keep him vs what we could get in a trade.

Mo will be just fine either way but we need to worry about what is best for the Jets.

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily opposed to any option on the poll because I like Wilkerson. He's a Jersey kid drafted by his hometown team -- what's not to like?

That being said, I'd prefer to put off the decision until next off season. Right now, we're projecting his value based on Wilkerson's performance in Ryan's defense. By waiting, the FO would be able to see how Wilkerson would perform in Bowles' defense. By getting a more accurate read on his value to the NYJ, the FO can provide an offer that reflects his worth (or franchise and trade Wilkerson).

jlee499 and PabloJa like this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I voted to keep him only if the price is right, but if someone blows us away with a trade offer we have to at least listen. It's nice to be in a position of strength from a negotiation standpoint. I doubt Mo takes less than he believes he's worth in the open market but getting guaranteed money up front prior to putting yourself in harms way is probably very enticing.

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He doesn't deserve a blank check. We all like Mo, some more than others, but I don't know of any Jet fan that doesn't like the guy. But let's face it, he isn't a "max contract" type of player.

A team will most likely offer him more than the 10-11 mil per that he is worth. So in the end it will be up to him whether that's enough for him or not.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The question is Do you FRANCHISE him after 2015 or just let him walk?

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Can we for once keep our good players around? Every time we get a decent player when he's due for a pay day we never want to pay him.

HAYN likes this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

Would anyone really be opposed to trading Mo if it meant getting a good (not GREAT) QB on this team?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is FRANCHISING him different than franchising him?

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep, costs a little more, but looks cooler.

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

How do we hold leverage? Because we got a unproven rookie? Sorry I don't call that leverage. Plus if Mo walks we lose another good player. How in hell are the Jets suppose to be good if they keep letting there good players walk because they won't pay them?

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mo lost all his leverage in contract negotiations with the Williams pick. Keep him on the roster while you can and try to negotiate a long term deal but don't break the bank for him IMO

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

of course you franchise him, it's $12 million and thats a fair price for mo

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We still don't know what he will look like in Bowles' defense, it could bite us if he explodes next year by taking another step forward

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Let's not get carried away here, he has this year and we can franchise him next year so that's two years before we have to worry about it.

Oh, and I see that was just mentioned two posts up..oops.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I think the aftermath of the Williams pick presents another distinct option, one that is a hybrid of some of the choices in the poll: Look to trade him next offseason, when you can package him with our own first to get to the very top of the draft for whichever QB separates himself to that extent. So it's not putting it off, it's actively targeting next offseason as the trade date.

I think they have every intention to keep him, let him be his awesome self, and maybe even pay him. However, he will remain a fantastic foundation piece in any trade for a young QB along the way in case that crops up. I think that all the rumors about "multiple 1sts" and "we're not actively shopping him" were establishing the going rate for the future when it comes up again.

I really believe that Mac has every intention of doing all that he can to leverage Mo into a potential franchise QB next offseason, with the nice fallback of having Wilkerson as a Jet longterm (or trading him for a solid, non-QB return) if it doesn't work out.

Axel3419 likes this.
  18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

And this would be perfect in my scenario.

19. HackettSuxTNG

Would you Trade Mo Wilkerson for Philip Rivers, One-for-one?

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Of course but the Chargers probably aren't foolish enough to do that.