How did Maccagan do in his first draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 2, 2015.

?

How did Maccagnan do?

1. Better than Expected

2. As Expected

3. Worse than expected

4. Too early to tell

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Washington invested a lot via Free Agency in their Dline and therefore in my view did not follow BPA - also they really need to keep their QB safe, I will never forget watching RGIII on one leg trying to play a few years back having injured his leg but not totally tearing the ACL until a few plays later down at the goal line.
    As a few of my friends and I watched none could believe that having paid a kings ransom to get the guy the HC was willing to risk his carer for the win - MADNESS. So perhaps if the FO and owner recalled those craxy minutes you could understand why they did what they did - but heck I don't care as the result was we got Williams

2. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

There's nothing like having some confidence in your teams management that provides some optimism for the future. Outside of the first 4 picks I didn't know anything about the players, other than what i'm reading now, so what the hell do i know...but it sure seems like MM has a good plan, supported by a scouting/talent evaluation background ,which leads me to think he did a good job outside of just the name players everyone knows...no one's perfect, but it's all about the plan and talent evaluation. The thing that gave me the most confidence was his manipulation of the picks (i.e. not afraid to trade up, down, or trade picks for players)...it shows a confidence in his ability to know and scout talent. Tanny didn't know talent, so his "always trade up" philosophy made sense for him as I'm assuming he felt he had a better chance of getting talent higher in the draft (or trading picks for players) as it was less of a challenge for people who didn't make a career out of identifying talent...Idzik, w/out talent evaluation background, was the same but in reverse...he wanted to build threw the draft but didn't have the skills to know what talent was and therefor last year's draft w/ a million picks was a bust minus Richardson (i.e. the #1 pick, and easiest not to screw up)....I finally knew Idzik didn't know personnel/talent when he didn't make one move w/ all the picks last year (i.e. showed a lack of confidence in his own ability to evaluate talent on the board and picks from other teams. MM seemed to draft some talent, traded up, down and for players straight up...good sign of a confidant guy and that's what makes me the most optimistic

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If your gut is telling you that, you may need a colonoscopy.

jilozzo likes this.
  4. legler82

We have the best defensive personnel ever assembled in green and white, a top 6 running attack, relatively easy schedule and we "...are not going anywhere"? Using a similar formula, we managed to go 2 AFCCGs with according to many on this board a clown for a coach and a back up at best QB. The defense is undeniably better on paper, and I'm told the coaching and QB situation is better. I'm confused as to why the expectations are so low.

NYJetsO12, greenbeanz and westiedog1 like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Yes...... and a small bowel follow thru!

6. legler82

Wow, I've never heard any fan put so much expectations on a 4th round QB. It's eerily similar to how the former regime and some members of the fan base and media treated Geno like a first round pick. Come to think of it, it's actually worse as at least Geno was a top 40 pick.

#66 legler82, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  7. legler82

It is really good news? We've had one of the best d-line for a couple of years now, and it really hasn't amounted to anything.

Big Blocker likes this.
  8. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

I think he did a reasonable job.

It all depends if the hype surrounding Leonard Williams is warranted. My gut tells me that Williams was third on the Jets draft board behind Fowler and Amari Cooper. It is concerning that Washington passed on him considering that their GM is notorious for be the soundest talent evaluator in the league.

The good news is that you can never have enough defensive lineman. I don't think anyone would be complaining if Leonard Williams turns into another Wilk or Richardson.

9. legler82

The new GM is always the best GM in the eyes of fans until he's the old GM.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Quite obviously, you don't even know what I have been saying all along.

When Jets drafted Geno, I have said exactly the same thing.

Jets must not rush the kid into the starter role - and we all saw how that ended up.

Yeah. That's all I've been saying. Draft a good kid, nurture him for a year or two, then give him the reins. Sounds simple. Except it is not.

If Mac cuts half the draftees by this summer, I will agree with you.

Or if Mac trades UP for a bust like Dslob, sure, I will agree with you.

If Mac trades the picks away like candies, to the point where he has to force the likes of WFH into the starting lineup, yeah. I will agree with you.

[Jesus fucking Christ...]

11. roger

roger Active Member

When I consider trades (draft picks for established players), I have to give Maccagnan a solid 50% score.

Williams, Petty, Marshall and Stacy will contribute.

The other four will not see the light of day on the Jets or on any other NFL roster.

Eight picks...four productive players.

That's not great. That's middle of the road at best.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Devin Smith? He's supposed to bust out? Not see the light of day? Holy. That kid didn't even don Jets uniform yet - and you are sure he will be a bust, right?

I mean - okay. Mauldin may not look like much. I can understand that [but he was good enough to be considered a 2nd round pick by some, if you didn't know.]

The only speedster on the entire WR corp is now supposed to be a bust, right? What's the logic in that?

13. legler82

The only difference between the bold and the abortion that was the Geno experiment is the "nurture" part. I have a better idea. Give him some time to familiarize himself with the pro game, then give him a chance to "compete for" rather than be given the reins. A 4th rounder shouldn't be given dick other than a chance to compete. In reality, that should apply to any round but I know politics and the investment cost will never allow that to apply to guys drafted early in the first.

14. roger

roger Active Member

Devin Smith.

Bust.

Less than 35 catches during his entire Jets career.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you are picking on that [give the reins] part, dick?

1. Jets drafted a QB
    2. Threw the kid into the fire
    3. Did that twice

And I was saying this should stop.

==========================================================

And GeNO being drafted at 39 means jack squat. By now everybody will agree Jets reached him about 5 rounds too high.

==========================================================

At least there will be a competition. Yeah. Like there was last few years. [Ha!]

And you know this how?

16. roger

roger Active Member

Petty is going to be good three years from now.

For the next two, we're back to ground and pound.

Not the worst thin in the world, but it is what it is.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anyone with a brain takes the over.

greenbeanz likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I wasn't asking about Petty.

How do u know Devin will be a bust? Enlighten us with your wisdom and knowledge.

19. legler82

Again I think you and many other fans have it all wrong. You see Sanchez and Geno's failures as the product of being "thrown in the fire" and if we fix that we'll somehow develop a QB. Many a successful QB have been thrown in the fire and many have sat and sucked. Their issues are nuanced but at the core they stemmed from meeting room decisions dictating what happens on the field rather than visa versa. What we need to stop is paying lip service to Idzik's mantra of competition and actually start to have it at ALL positions. If Sanchez and Geno had to earn rather than be "given" their starting jobs, we and they would be better for it. As an organization you still do everything you can to surround them with the right coaching and supporting cast but still have to go get it. The FO, coaching and/or the fans can't want it more than they do themselves.

20. roger

roger Active Member

Obviously, you didn't watch much Ohio State football over the past two years.