Should the Jets contact La'el Collins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, May 3, 2015.

1. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Unless something has changed a year up here makes him an UFA heading into 2016. Could be an interesting situation for him. Make a living for a year (min contract 40k I believe) while he basically just trains and practices then has a year of "pro" level game film and every team knocking on his door.

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Minimum contracts for UDFAs with guaranteed money give home better pay in 2015 then in Canada with better and more relevant competition. He will be able to get paid after year 3 as a UDFA rather than year 4 os a Rd 2 player.

For him he needs to take this like a pro
    1. Clear his name
    2. Look for the best package - starting opportunity and pay day - he can swing
    3. Play with a chip to ensure he gets paid later
    Simple

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

He can't. Because his agents foolishly and publicly told teams not to draft him ... and they complied.

4. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

I say we do what it takes to sign him when he is fully exonerated. Would be a coup.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem is, right now, some team is doing what it takes to sign him before he is fully exonerated ... and that's the team that's going to get him. Oh, they won't announce it until after the police come out and say he's been cleared, but everything regarding the contract will be agreed upon before it happens. If you wait, you lose.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Maybe he can go to FSU or USC, rumor is they pay well.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Well, in all fairness he was born in Vermont, so he's almost a local prospect...and e as the same initials as Tom Brady....

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

As long as he is not a suspect in the case, (according to news reporting, including NFL.com, sign him right fucking now.

Friggin Vagiants didn't think twice when it came to Ahmad Bradshaw, who had numerous character concerns.

Sign him to a deal with a morals clause, if he becomes a suspect walk away, but he who waits...masturbates.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets also have almost no cap space at this point to offer him anything. According to sport trac the Jets top 51 players and the projected rookie pool leaves the Jets with under 1 million in cap space. He's going to require more than 1M to sign if he clears cleanly.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

10. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Last I heard the Jets had almost 10 Million left in cap space.

11. 1968jetsfan

Yes, before taking in to consideration the rooking pay cap and dead money. Sportrac is usually pretty accurate.

12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

If Wilkerson was traded, how would that factor in?

13. 1968jetsfan

I think it would save just short of 7M, but I'm very much against trading wilkerson, but we may have to because we're paying Revis 17M next year and the jets currently only have 5M in free space next year.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

There's been so many reports on this situation that I'm not even sure what to believe anymore. One report states, that he would be eligible for 2016 draft if he was drafted and refused to sign the contract (like Bo Jackson); but not being drafted forces him to become a UDFA in 2015.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Is there a maximum contract an UDFA can get or will it be an all out bidding war for this guy?

Also what's preventing some team from signing him to a max UDFA deal with a wink wink agreement to extend his contract to a big deal?

If he can only get a min deal his best play is probably Canada for a year and then a bidding war for his services

Such a unique situation and no real answers that I've come across

16. 1968jetsfan

He's a free agent, I'm not aware of any cap limit on UDFA's, there might be one but I'm unaware of it if there is.

17. 1968jetsfan

A little bit of quick research indicates there may be a cap for UDFA's.
    This is not the most reliable source but it's all I found on a quick search so take it with 2 or 3 grains of salt.
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...afted-free-agents-how-much-will-they-get-paid

18. 1968jetsfan

19. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I fully agree. i was simply responding to someones question if he'd be a full on free agent like a vet as apposed to a undrafted rookie. The only advantage i see to coming to the CFL would be stepping out of the lime light as this all works itself out and a quicker payday in 2016. I agree fully that he should concentrate on clearing his name and then sign with a team where he fits in best. His payday will come.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

About the only team I would expect him NOT to land on is the Pats :)