How did Maccagan do in his first draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 2, 2015.

?

How did Maccagnan do?

1. Better than Expected

2. As Expected

3. Worse than expected

4. Too early to tell

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

If Williams turns out to be HOF or perennial All Pro material than he salvaged the draft by having the best player fall to us.

My gut tells me that in a few years time Jet fans look back and realize that Idzik's 2 drafts were better than this one and much better than the 3 before he got here.
    People here kill MIlliner, Pryor, Amaro - D Smith will turn out to be a 10x worse draft pick than any of those.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As expected, since I believed in my heart this man with his Scouting background would find "diamonds in the rough" for us. Knowing in your heart hardly translates to good players on the field but he is as good if not better at building a team then all us armchair GMs. Most stats say Rnds 1-4 are crucial since your bust ratios are no more than 50%. Getting the best player in the entire draft with Williams help soften the blow of no QB that early. No Marriota,no DGB, and I thought another year with zero offense addressed. Then we got Smith and started to see the vertical threat logic in that. Maudlin I thought was a waste but like other of his selections I felt better the day after when the kudos started coming in. Then we moved up to get Bryce Petty and I felt this was the big Gem of the draft. No guys he no "gimmick QB" and he is not Taj Boyd. Mannion and Hundley passed over for him so there is a big reason: Petty has the arm to throw to the tons of receivers we got to get the ball to. Not NFL ready by a long shot but IMO a great prospect. Mac addressed needs at OL, pass rusher etc.

Known Quantities: Gilcrest, Cromartie, Revis, Riddly,Marshall, Stacy, Fitz, Richardson, GRADE A
    Unknown Quantities: See our draft GRADE A-

Mac has a quiet confidence in a GM I have not seen in years. Anybody miss Tanny or Idzik?

Job Rating so far : A-

#22 NYJetsO12, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Check your gut and take some Pepto.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Why don't u like Devin Smith?

I'll give u Richardson , Pryor, Amaro and Enunwa. Maybe IK too.

But no way Devin Smith is 10x worse. Thats silly. Guy had a 30 yard per reception average. He doesn't drop balls like Hill - his floor is a Kenny Stills. Just watch the tape.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

lol Idzik was terrible man, or is this John Idzik I am speaking to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Also Devin Smith will be working with a WRs coach not named Sanjay Lal and that alone is a huge plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

74, IDFjet and TNJet like this.
  7. Section 336

Big Fing Deal he averaged 30 yards per reception, but the dude only caught about 2 balls per game as opposed to guys like Justin Hardy taken in the fourth by Atlanta who caught more balls in a season (multiple times) than Smith caught in his 4 year college career.

74 likes this.
  8. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

A doush bag?

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I like the trades,,,,and on the surface they look like good selections but I think you have to wait and see how it translates on the field

10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Very different offenses man and very different roles. Plenty of high volume receivers don't necessarily translate to the NFL. I think Hardy is a good prospect but he profiles as a possession slot receiver and not the deep threat that we need. Smith provides a different dimension.

By your logic, Jarvis Landry was a better prospect than Beckham coming out as Landry had more receptions and was actually go to receiver. Also rashard greene should have been drafted higher by your logic...

My point is have to look at what he brings, not just receptions.

74 likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

bad poll. if you expected him to do good then you would say as expected. if you expected him not to do good then you would say better than expected. you should have just used grades as they ask the other identical poll.

12. Section 336

Please do not tell me or quote "my logic" when you don't have a clue what it is.

I am just pointing out one stat, A poster claimed is outrageous yards per reception as some gospel, but if you catch 1 or 2 balls a game, you have to take that with salt.
    Just like just because he is fast doesn't mean shit when he has average at best hands, as so-so route running capability.

D. Smith won't even be able to sniff Ted Ginn Jr's jock strap and that it sad, cause Ginn has been a huge disappointment.

To be as blunt as I can, the last time I felt this disappointed and adamant about a draft pick was Gholston.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think he did ok, i am excited for 2016 because of this draft class and look forward to seeing them progress this season

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think he had a pretty solid draft all things considered. The one thing I think he flubbed on was the trade of the third round pick. I think he tried to get too cute and wanted to get more picks while passing up on a running back that would have fit exactly what we needed to Coe out of the draft with: Duke Johnson. Instead we came out of the draft with Zac Stacy. Now yes the value on that trade is great but Stacy isnt the type of running back we are looking for.

As far as the actual players that we drafted, I'm on board with pretty much every single one of them except Jarvis Harrison. I hate when you can say "second round talent" about someone that was drafted in the fifth round. That implies that things about their work ethic and desire and that's the last thing you want and an OL. Then this all goes back to that third round tray… This is who we walked away with instead of Duke Johnson. But on the other hand, Mauldin looks like a player.

I'm thrilled that Leonard Williams fell right into our laps. I absolutely love the Devon Smith pick and I think he was the absolute perfect fit at wide receiver in this draft other than Cooper. I don't exactly love Bryce Petty but I understand why you have to take him where we took him.

We will see how it all works out, but this draft class is looking pretty nice. The first two rounds couldn't have gone any better.

Brook! likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why don't we wait and see what he does after a couple of years, primarily because the argument used for or against of catches versus ypc has zero validity at this point. It is all dependent on the scheme used and number of targets on the field. Like it or not he was not targeted as much as others, but when targeted his catch percentage was off the charts, as his yards per catch. That purely and simple means the guy can catch and has speed surplus when he does. So to call him the biggest disappointment since Gholston is about as absurd as it comes. The two draft picks are not even in the same planet. Nor are the GMs that made them.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Washington screwed up the draft by taking Scherff. I wanted him to be our pick if Cooper was gone. I thought White would have been good too. But, we made up for it with picks 2-5. Better than expected. I hope it is a true competition and Geno is shown the door.

17. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

In reality, ask after the 2016 season. But as of now I am fucking pumped for this teams future.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Williams falling to them caught Macc off guard. There had to have been some serious conversations about taking him and I think Macc won out and took him. I think they had Copper/White as their top pick until Williams fell, which forced them to Smith in the 2nd rnd. Which forced them to draft a pass rusher later on.

Essentially, their whole draft board got knocked back a round when Williams fell.

With that in mind, I think we got a really good draft. B+

Much of this draft will depend on how Williams changes our defense.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im surprised he didn't take Randy Gregory or DGB but I'm happy as long as Devin Smith turns into a pro bowler.Did Smith return kicks in college?does anyone know

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Not entirely. I expected him to have a good draft but this was arguably a great draft. They were able to address more needs than I thought going into the draft with only six picks, two of them being seventh-rounders.