Grade The Jets 2015 Draft:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 2, 2015.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Mo isn't going anywhere this season.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What bothers me about this pick is what it says about the coaching staff and their philosophy.

If you are going to pass up Randy Gregory or other players for lesser talent because of their character and the kind of guys you want on your roster you do not take this player in round five.

Either you feel you can fix these broken players and take chances on them or you take them off your board.

Seems inconsistent, hypocritical, or wishy washy not sure exactly which label fits but the inconsistency bothers me.

legler82 likes this.
  3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

nohting hypocritical about it at all

every pick has a cost risk analysis. rolling the dice on charecter issues and work ethic in round 7 has less risk then in round 1.

im sure gregory gets a closer look at round 3,4,5 then in rounds 1,2

4. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I agree entirely, which is why it is the one pick of the draft I'm wary about, all the other picks I'm excited about and can't wait to see how they develop. This pick is just an example of the type of player I hate seeing bought into the locker room, negative mindset, bad work ethic, bad message by the organization.

James Hasty likes this.
  5. James Hasty

It was round five, not seven.

Your point still has merit but we traded down in round three and made a pretty big sacrifice to get that fifth rounder only to throw it away if it is that big of a risk.

6. jerseyjay14

i know he was a 5th, the point was its a risk-analysis situation. we didnt sacrafice much of anything in the 3rd. the risk on gregory was enormous as he cost a 2nd rounder selection.

its no throwing away a pick to take a late risk

7. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I understand your point, I just don't like the pick in general, be it a first, fifth or even seventh, just don't like bringing in guys that may create a negative atmosphere in the locker room, we don't want players putting up with someone who comes off as lazy, hopefully he turns that image around now that he is in the NFL, but I just don't like the sound of it.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. James Hasty

I get your point but not sure I am buying it.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If that's an A+ I wonder what grade this Hawaiian would have given this draft if it yielded Mariota?

10. jerseyjay14

i agree and said earlier its the one pick im down on. offesnive line is not where you want guys with work ethic issues...

that said, i can see using pick 5 on a risk reward type

11. legler82

Who's turns out better between Beasley and Williams can be misleading. Beasley went to the perfect team for his skill set. He will be playing the Leo position in Dan Quinn's defense, a role he was essentially born to play. He also will be playing his home games on turf. With his speed, the Altlanta fast track and how he will be used, he should get a lot of sacks and pressures early. Other than that, I don't see him doing much else. Williams on the other hand will likely be on a very good d-line rotation and will be asked to far less glamourous tasks in addition to pass rushing.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Infinity +

_

13. legler82

Every year I pray the bold happens and it never does. Pace is a cockroach; he never dies.

14. James Hasty

Chances are Pace will not be on the team in 2016 but I expect him to play out the year along with Babin.

15. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

You win!!! You are the Ultimate Darksider!!!! Way to go....

16. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

In terms of drafting, I'm not considering Brandon Marshall and Zac Stacy as part of the grade since they aren't being drafted.

Overall Grade: B+

First two picks were stellar. Didn't love the Lorenzo Mauldin pick, but I'll be rooting for him. Bryce Petty was a great selection for the risk-reward consideration. The last couple picks I don't see making a huge impact, but typically that's true. I would have liked Ifo-Ekpre Olomu in the 7th round.

17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

You start off being negative, when you downplay that we may have gotten the "Best player in the entire draft" not only my
    opinion, many of leading services had at #1 This F.O. in 4 months took a 4 win team that was in total disarray and made us
    a contender!

18. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Round 1 - Williams C I've come around to this pick somewhat and I think if we if we find a way to use him along with Snacks and our 3 other 1st round D-lineman in the last 5 years it will obviously become an A+. I refuse to give this anything better than a C until we figure out how to use all 5 of our D-Lineman in a rotation. It's not ideal to have "the best player in the draft" who 5 teams passed on btw to be a rotation player at our absolute strongest position. Love the player just can't judge until we see how its going to work.

Round 2 - Smith B+ Thought we got a pretty good player here. Obviously not on the same level as Cooper or White who would've actually filled a need at #6 but he's pretty good. DGB was too risky, Strong actually fell to our pick in round 3, and no other guys were on the same level.

Round 3 - Mauldin B+ I wanted Harold in the 2nd and was shocked to see Tevin Coleman and Duke Johnson last until our pick so the trade down hurt to see all 3 guys go in between. Ultimately, we absolutely had to go OLB here because of addressing the WR position in the 2nd and continuing to stack our strongest group in the 1st. Adding a 5th, 7th, and Posey while also getting Mauldin turned out to be pretty good though.

Round 4 - Petty C+ If there was 1 QB I would have taken after Mariota/Winston it probably would have been Petty. Having said that,he has a lot of work to do. I think this could be a good pick but the odds of him becoming anything more than a good backup are slim. Didn't like giving up a 7th to move up 1 spot and would've preferred skipping the bad QB class this year. My favorite part about this pick is the fact that we won't have to hear ignorant fans screaming for Matt Simms anymore.

Round 5 - Harrison A - Let him see the $$ and have it motivate him. 2nd round talent in the 5th, solid pick.

Round 7 - Simon A - Awesome late round pick, let him compete with Barnes as Snacks backup if he loses out stash him on the practice squad for a year and give him another shot next year.

Today.. B+ 3 Year Prediction (after we capitalize on whatever plan we have)... A

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And you will cry if the said player turns out like a bust, right?

How is Stephen Hill doing? Right. Out of the franchise.

If anything, you do not take question marks in high round picks. This simple fact drove me nuts while T-Bomb was the GM.

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

heath evans on NFL network is the biggest jets hater out there and he said we won the draft

so...