Jets select LB Lorenzo Mauldin in 3rd round

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2015.

1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

3 from Louisville: Powell, Pryor, Mauldin. Getting to be a pipeline. They could have kept Kerry Rhodes, though.

2. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Wow what a sad, yet inspiring story. Seems like all this guy has is football. Not much of a family, real sad. I'm glad he's on Gang Green now though. His story and his drive should easily make him a fan favorite, and rightfully so. He deserves the love that he's been neglected of all his life. Hopefully we as a fan base as well as his teammates can give that to him. Some things are beyond just football.

NoodleArm, greenbeanz, Dom and 2 others like this.
  3. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

He was on my radar. He had like 22 sacks in college, good size and a great motor. He's my dark horse to be starting week 1. Someone else said coverage skills are sub par but I disagree. Definitely a great pick especially after the trade down

4. mikey

mikey Active Member

After hearing his what he's gone through, then reading he's known for high football character. Love this pick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Gotta love the player and the person. Good pick.

6. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

Dude is a really stiff athlete, we got too cute for our own good. Would have loved Harold with our 2nd rounder, it was a no brainer to take him in the 3rd

7. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Man I wish you were our GM you seem to have it all figured out

dvince89 likes this.
  8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He's the kind of player you need to lead a defense. Could be a future team captain.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right. He says the first pick was stupid too. Fugedditboud the second pick..

'F' for us here. Damn

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i cant see anyway he doesnt start. the kid is just too determined. staff will fall in love with him as will the fanbase in short order. he is going to become a leader on this team. its in his DNA.

Catfish Billy and Turbocharged23 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree about Harold. I think he's too thin and would only have been a situational pass rusher. I'd rather have Mauldin, who is a more complete player.

jetsons, ajax and alleycat9 like this.
  12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

stiff? nothing about him is stiff. he isnt an elite explosive athlete but he is plenty nimble and extrmely quick

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't want a QB, but would have been happy with an OL. I'm not unhappy with the Mauldin pick, however. I think he's a good prospect and sounds like a great young man. I'm rooting for him.

14. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if we use one, or even both our picks on OL in the 4th round.

Then I could hopefully see a good pass catching RB with our 5th round pick.

15. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

I knew 'of' Mauldin, but I didn't know 'him.' After watching his highlights I've become a huge fan. We don't need stars, we needs studs and this kid looks like an an absolute stud. Great character, size, great motor, smart, diagnoses plays very well, uses leverage, finds creases in the line to get to to the runner on inside running plays. Had a very difficult up-bringing and could have easily let it ruin his life, but he persevered and set goals and conquered them. Kid's got heart, charisma, and has leadership qualities to boot. What's not to like? It's too early to doubt Macc, Bowles, and staff as talent evaluators and I like what they're putting together so far.

What I'd like to know is the song playing on this highlight video:

Catfish Billy likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who's writing off anyone?You guys just buy into everything the Jets do.....I bet you belived in Idzik and his plan to without questioning anything he was doing.Woody Johnnson could kill your dog and you would put it on the back of your jets homer jersey

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He may be great or good...but he has makings of a great team leader

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Don't know who it is, but it's a remake of this:
    I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After

#78 Walt White, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

This is what is most annoying. People who buy into everything the jets do and automatically believe that no matter what they are not wrong. We are "dumb" for disagreeing with what the jets do yet they are "smart" for praising everything they do.

Diabolical_Jet_Fan likes this.
  20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's a decent pick. My favorite so far tbh. didn't study him pre-draft, he wasn't on my radar, wrote him off as too slow. Initial reaction was wtf. People said he's beast so I watched a little tape. He has a nice swim move and never stops hustling. He can drop back into space well. When he gets a lane he looks good at closing in. He has trouble shedding blocks. Not a good bender off the edge. He's visibly slower than Harold. Harold has much higher ceiling but I guess they probably felt Harold was too inconsistent/risky. Then there's all the intangibles that Mauldin has. Would I have made this pick? No. I think Harold could have given us a more explosive/dynamic edge rusher. I like Hicks too but Im sick of taking players with injury history so Im out on that. David Johnson could have been our Le'Veon Bell. Chris Conley is the deep threat we should have taken. But am I upset about it? No. Other than those three guys I just mentioned I like this player better than any other taken in the 3rd. He's solid all-around and could be a great leader. Athletically speaking he's got an uphill battle in the NFL but that seems to fit his story.

#80 74, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015