Switch to 4-3 ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, May 1, 2015.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

A base 4-3 makes no sense. The Jets don't have the personnel to run it.

3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

They'll run a 3-4 base because that's what their personnel is based on but will nearly Ever just be in a strict 3-4... It WILL be a Hybrid of several different fronts.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Typical, jerk-wad, asshole remark.

5. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Nickel would make sense. More talent will be on the field for us. Plus less linebackers which seems to be a glaring need in the upcoming rounds

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh but we do.

D-line: Coples - Wilkerson - Richardson - Williams
    Linebackers: Davis - Harris - Erin Henderson
    CB: Revis - Cro
    FS: Gilchrist
    SS: Pryor

We can run any front we want. Any defensive package. Thank God we signed Erin Henderson who has played all 4-3 linebacker positions w/ the Vikings. The versatility of this defense is off the charts.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With a 4 man front, Wilk, Sheldon and Williams could all be pass rushers in the defense, like I said in another thread we are going to see a lot of nickel, and just from rotation there is plenty of snaps for our dlinemen

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to see us get Gregory and put Coples hand back in the dirt. This defense would be off the charts incredible.

Our CBs are going to FEAST.

10. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

So both of you guys really think Coples could play 4-3 OLB? Lol

11. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

Yeah MSU, I think your comment earlier might have been what prompted me to dig up that quote. I feel like people didn't respond to that as much as they should have. Makes a lot of sense.

12. 101GangGreen101

Don't worry things will work out in the end. The versatility of the defense will be outstanding and you don't need a "speed-rusher" on the outside as a 4-3 DE. Leonard has the speed, power and technique to shed blocks and get to the QB instantly.

We have the pieces for the 4-3 defense.

13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

He's less than ideal but who else is on the roster? Maybe henderson?

14. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

If we didn't trade for Brandon Marshall, I'd be in agreement with you. I think Geno takes a big step in year 3, throws more TDs than picks, and 3500-3700 yards. The offense won't be bad.

15. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

It's not less than ideal it's impossible. A near 300 pound man cannot play OLB in a 4-3 he can barely play it in a 3-4. Harris at MLB, Davis sliding outside, and maybe tonight's 2nd or 3rd pick batting Henderson or whoever else really before Coples.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Marshall definitely helps, but what if he goes down with an injury, or his bi-polar disorder gets out of whack and causes him to miss games? I hope Geno takes a big step forward this year, too, but that's a LOT to hope for. It's one thing for us fans to "hope" for better results, but quite another for the GM. The GM is supposed take steps to insure that things get better offensively. He traded for Marshall, signed OL Carpenter & Brewer, and added Ridley. I'm sorry, but that's underwhelming to me, and I like Carpenter better than many. The Jets still don't have a RB with good hands and home run speed. They have no proven depth at WR nor any great prospects for depth. If they use their 2nd and 3rd round picks on offense that will be nice and will help, but it's not the same as using your #1 pick.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I just hope they get enough effectiveness out of Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams on top of all the other guys (and money) we have in our front seven. If they just end up in a rotation it's going to be kind of stupid and wasteful to have so much invested in players who aren't regularly on the field.

I keep hearing Williams can play all positions on the DL...has he played much NT? I like Snacks but he's primarily a run blocker. We could run two different base 3-4 sets depending on it being a passing or rushing down
    Pass: Wilk (DE), Williams (NT), Richardson (DE) and LBs Coples, Pace, Harris, Davis
    Rush: Wilk (DE), Snacks (NT), Richardson (DE) and same LBs

Plus you could rotate Wilk, Richardson and Williams in and out on various plays regardless of it being a rushing or passing down. I still don't like the idea of having so many first rounders be rotational players though.

I dunno...I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Bowles does.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I liked the Henderson signing a lot. It's the D-Line thats the problem IMO.

I dont know enough about Williams entire career at USC so I wont pretend that I do. So with that said I could be wrong but his final year he played 3-4 DE, he was the top 3-4 DE in the draft. He's 300 pounds. I would think he would need to cut weight to get down to about 275 (give or take) as would Coples whose put on weight since joining the Jets.

I looked at his draft profile and it did say teams think he's a good fit in either scheme but I still think it's a risk shuffling around a defensive scheme that has worked very well for us.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Coming from the jackass who said he'll be done with the team if the coach, GM and scouting department DONT go with offense when they know more than any of us average fans combined... Yeah, and I'm the jerk-wad, asshole.. Mhm.

20. 101GangGreen101

I think there were a lot of similarities between what USC did in regards to their defensive front in relation to the Jets. They played different multiple fronts and moved Williams all over the place. Leonard Williams I believe said something similar in his press conference today.

I really like that kid, he's extremely humble, spiritual and has tons of toughness. I think he will fit in just fine as a 4-3 DE (or whatever the hell the Jets want to do with him). He may cut down on some of the weight that I do agree with. Who knows.

I can't even really define him as a 1 position player.