I'm ok with Geno, talk me off the ledge.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Apr 21, 2015.

1. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I'm about 25% with him. If he works out, great, if he doesn't? oh well, we havent had a franchise QB since the fucking 70s anyway. So fuck it.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It all comes down to money - very little is tied to Geno, so if this front office / coaching staff wants to shun him and punt him, they can do so without repercussion.

The only way Geno is the starting QB of this team is if either injury or someone feels he's actually earned it. This is not a Jay Cutler situation where they really don't have a choice.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

One more year. Guy finally has something to work with..

4. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Test #1: beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Whether or not Geno wins the starting job I expect our offense to be good enough to compete for a playoff spot.

5. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

6. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Hey guys. It's 2016 and time to talk about Geno! He improved again!

1. He improved his completion percentage from 59% to 60%.
    2. His QB rating went from 77.5 to 79.5.
    3. His ints per game decreased from .92 to .90.
    4. His TDs per game increased from .92 to 1.0.

Now he was still the worst QB in the league, but he's getting better every year! And the team improved to 8-8. We HAVE to give him another chance. It was his first year with the new receivers and it takes awhile to get used to them. That and Chan's play calling was just horseshit. How could he misuse Geno so badly? Besides, it was his first year in Chan's system and now that he has experience, he will improve leaps and bounds next year. I mean, 3 OCs in 3 years? I think he did as well as could be expected with that type of turnover. Also his first year with a new head coach. Rex had him so messed up, is it any wonder that he isn't performing to his potential? Bowles has him straightened out. Also the Oline was terrible this year. I'm not sure Aaron Rogers could have performed behind that line! QBs usually take a few years to really get acclimated to the NFL. So this should be his year. I can't understand all the people that want to call a young, dynamic, CONSTANTLY IMPROVING QB a bust.
    It's his last year on the contract and he's cheap. I say we ride with his ONE more year. What do you say??

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With that little of an improvement, heck no, he's a goner as soon as his contract expires or if I can trade him sooner. For Geno to remain a starter for me, his stats would have to improve to something like this:

1. completion percentage 59% to 65%
    2. QB rating improves from 77.5 to at least 85 if not more
    3. ints per game decrease from .92 to .50
    4. TDs per game increase from .92 to 2.0

FlaJet likes this.
  8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

At this rate he will be old and gray before he reaches starting caliber. Nothing is impossible but putting money on Geno is like:
    [​IMG]

9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Maybe my math is off - but it looks like you need Geno to post a 32-8 TD-INT ratio to earn a starting spot?

Jetaho likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. That is a little extreme. I didn't do the math to figure out what those totals would be. I would want it to be at least a 2:1 ratio of TDs to Ints.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd even say less so long as he's not actively losing the team games, and even helping make a clutch throw in certain spots. That applies to Fitzpatrick too though. Between these two guys it's really going to be a lesser of two evils situation, which they won't really know until the Giants game in the preseason... hopefully...

12. gfunkjet

gfunkjet New Member

To me it's very simple. we can quote his statistical improvments all day, but until I see the intangibles on the field I will remain unconvinced. Genos pocket presence and turnover liability it still terrifying. I've always been of the mind that I would rather have a smart quarterback than a talented one without a great football iq.

the thing that still bothers me are the dumb turnovers and not just interceptions. the fumble week 17 is a prime example. he seems to be prone to unimaginable almost flukey mistakes. Now all that being said, I believe it should be his job to lose. I would just be ready to pull him quick if he still shows a less than average football iq

FlaJet, Clark Gaines and june19 like this.
  13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

He was horrific in 2013, in part because of receivers. I don't know how that can be ignored.

I'm not saying he'll be an all pro, but receivers can make a huge difference in a QBs play.

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

My favorite quote.

“He’s going to mature," Johnson said, according to multiple reports. “He’s not going to be making rookie mistakes anymore and he’s not going to be making sophomore mistakes anymore, hopefully."

Hey Woody, hope is not a plan.

_

17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Woody:
    [​IMG]

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  18. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

I personally will believe in and root for the Starting QB of the jets appointed by the coaching staff. right now its Geno and he is my guy.

I also believe that in an open competition he will beat out fitzpatrick, and also that he is in a very good position to succeed with the playmaking corps and OC.

Jetaho, FJF and JetsVilma28 like this.
  19. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Where are all the "Eric Decker was the best FA signing of 2014" guys when you need them? Because even with an upgrade at receiver, he managed to squeak out 13 TDs against 13 INTs (and it would have been worse except for an uncharacteristic performance in the last game).

The guy had 18 turnovers (13 INT + 5 lost fumbles), and he threw seven pick-sixes. Imagine that - he threw 13 touchdowns to his own team, and 7 to the other team. He had three (!) games last year where his passer rating was so low, that if he had just spiked the ball into the ground every single time the whole game for 0 net passing yards, his passer rating would have gone up!

He sucks. He's not the appointed anything in my book. The Jets coaching staff had better see some significant improvement in his game before we ever see him on the field again.

FlaJet likes this.
  20. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. If Fitz is healthy there is no way he beats him out other than the coaches decision to proclaim him the starter for some other reason. I don't see this happening. Given all the equals experience, game management, and QB smarts Geno is no way near him. I don't feel Fitz is the man to lead our team as well. I think our QB is not on the team yet. As I said in other post I will support Geno 100% if he is named the starter but I also will turn on him in a NY minute if there is any sign of old GeNO reappears with the same old stupid mistakes and/or learning to make new ones (if that is even possible.)