Jace Amaro said Jets lacked Accountability last year. Rex responds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what is your point? you posted a list, I poked holes in it. I didn't say Mark was better than Rivers just stating a fact that w/ #1 D he couldn't get to playoffs in a weak division.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Sooo then what the hell was your point?

"OK, you got me on this one BUT BUT BUT LOOK AT THIS STAT!"

You didn't poke holes in it. You used numbers to say Mark was better than Eli, but it's not always about numbers. You then brought up a useless factoid to... well, I don't even know why because you then admitted I was right. You said Flacco was on par with Sanchez and backed it up with... nothing. That's not poking holes, that's giving your opinion.

4. nyjunc

he's a better #s guy no doubt and he can do more than Mark at the position but he's had some top talent around him and has never even made a title game where he started and finished a game.

SDs STs did stink but he still had chances to get to postseason and fialed just like he had failed a year earlier w/ a vastly superior team at home and lost to a Sanchez led Jets team in div rd.

Mark is NOT a top 10 QB overall, he was a top 10ish QB in 2010. he was somewhere in the 8-12 range.

5. nyjunc

I didn't use #s alone, I used #s as part of my argument. I don't just post #s and say this guy is great and that guy sucks. there's more to it than just #s. Eli killed his team that year, a SB caliber team that couldn't make the playoffs.

I didn't back up the Flacco part. both Flacco and Sanchez weren't gunslingers but had very good Ds and were capable to make plays to help their teams win. both won 11 games, mark's team advanced further and Mark played better in postseason.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Thread title:

Jace Amaro said Jets lacked Accountability last year. Rex responds.

7. BroadwayAaron

SB caliber team? They were in the bottom half of the league in points allowed, TDs allowed and INTs. Meanwhile their offense was 7th in points scored and 5th in overall yards. It's Eli's fault they didn't get to the playoffs?

8. nyjunc

I don't think I took this thread off course, I participated in it going off course. sometimes threads start out one way and go another.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Mark is capable of making plays and can have good games. He's bad at reading defenses. His biggest enemy is himself. When he starts getting successful in a game he takes more chances. You can call it the Unitas syndrome. The problem is he isn't Unitas. He doesn't have consistent accuracy. And opposing players can read him better than he reads them. We saw this all the time esp with red zone turnovers. It killed the team. When a play wasn't there he'd still throw to an area with a lot of coverage. And tried to thread the needle instead of throwing the ball away and taking the three. Right now for the second straight year Mark is a backup Qb. Even when he did play last season and was better than he was with the Jets he could not lead a team with talent into the playoffs. And he and his team did not play well down the stretch. IMO Mark has a job in the NFL but as a backup. You couldn't win consistently with him.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would say on the outside of the top 10, Mark played hero at times - got to give him credit for that, but I wouldn't take him over several other QBs.

11. nyjunc

they won a SB a year later w/ much of the same team.

maybe if the QB doesn't throw 25 INTs(and 5 more fumbles lost) they aren't in bottom half in pts allowed?

NYG D allowed 19.7 PPG
    NYJ D(the GREAT Jets D) allowed 18.6 PPG

did that 1 PPG make the difference?

I didn't say it was all Eli's fault but he was a main culprit. it's never on one player but he had playoff talent around him

12. nyjunc

you want to say on the outside that's ok but he was close.

13. nyjunc

he elevated that offense against the tougher part of the Eagles schedule. it's not fair to expect him to carry a team, he's not a Brady type(obviously). he came off the bench, played well and gave his team a chance. they had many issues down the stretch and the least of which was the QB.

do you make some valid points in the beginning of this post? yes. Mark is a very flawed QB which I have always acknowledged.

14. BroadwayAaron

Stopped there because you forgot Victor Cruz wasn't on the 2010 team and had 82 receptions for 1500+ yards and 9 TDs. Or maybe you knew he wasn't there and 2010 and decided this was still a valid argument. Either way, the rest of the post couldn't really be taken seriously after this.

15. nyjunc

Cruz was outstanding but it was mostly the same team. Cruz helped but are you saying he was the difference maker? then why didn't they make the playoffs in 2012 or 2013 w/ a healthy Cruz. did they have Cruz 3 years earlier when many of the same players won a SB?

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Close, but wasn't top 10 as you indicated. Also, my preference in the QB does play a role. I do not like Alex Smith, Jay Cutler or Cassell.

Playing the position and strictly the position ... Schaub was better that yr, so was Garrard. I will always give Mark credit for 2010, just not as much as you would give him.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

PPG can be pretty skewed. How many drives was the Jets D on the field for vs the Giants.

We had a ton of 3 and outs that year. I wouldnt be shocked if we gave up much less points per drive.

But I'm not sure.

Edit: Just looked. Not sure what years we were talking about, but in 2010 the Jets were slightly better in Points per Drive. Pretty much falls in line with the PPG stats.

18. nyjunc

I believe he was, you can believe otherwise but either way at worst he was close. so we can call him a top 10ish QB for that season, right?

Schaub was not better, schaub has always been overrated w/ tons of talent around him. he is a classic garbage titme QB.

Garrard had a good year w/ a team never really in contention. Mark played under pressure to perform for a top team in the AFC.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

H didn't elevate the offense he ran it and was ok. In 9 games (8 starts) he had 14 Td passes, 11 picks and 3 lost fumbles. And with a good team. These are not playoff numbers but a lot better than with the Jets. His team lost 3 of their last 4 games. He's an NFL backup.

20. BroadwayAaron

Uh, yes, someone who posts 82 catches for over 1500 yards and 9 TDs is quite the difference maker. And what do 2011, 2012 and 2013 have to do with Eli being better than Sanchez in 2010? Same with 2008... when they had Burress and Toomer as their top 2 receivers... two guys who weren't even on the 2010 team in question. You're all over the map.