I'm ok with Geno, talk me off the ledge.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Apr 21, 2015.

1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I would have zero issue with that. He is the best RB prospect since AP, and RB is not an area of depth. Don't think we use a FB, so we could carry 4 RBs

2. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yea there's no reason to carry FB

3. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Haha, you must not remember many of the games in 2013. Take out the Oakland and Buffalo games in 2014, and it's a somewhat respectable year 2. Most QBs back in the day never saw the field until year 3 or 4. I'd be more comfortable with Geno in year 3, than a QB in year 3 who has sat 2 years. We've gone through the pain, there may be a light at the end of this tunnel, let's not just give up and start at the beginning.

Footballgod214 and Royal Tee like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Some here on TGG say we need to keep throwing QBs at the wall until one sticks.

Of course we should, but unfortunately throwing a QB at the wall to see if he sticks is a 3-yr process.

5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Nah actually I remember plenty of the games very well. And not even the ones from late in the season that everyone likes to point to. He looked solid in his first game against Tampa. Looked great against Buffalo and Atlanta, the home game against the Pats. After that it went downhill. But it went downhill much more quickly last season. Right after the Green Bay game he dropped off and didnt find it again until meaningless Week 17 came around. Considering you want to "take out" games that make him look badly (you forgot the San Diego btw) might as well take out games in perfect weather conditions against a team that already have their vacation booked before that fluke of a perfect QB rating happened.

Like I said the stats are meaningless. In 2013 he showed promise, last year he took a major step back.

And Im not saying start from the beginning. Im totally against drafting a QB. But if Fitz is at full health, he should be the starter.

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Actually it's not in the most successful cases.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He looked alright against the Bears, had his moments against Detroit, looked decent against the Broncos and had a really good game against the Pats. He had his melt down against the Bills and rightfully got benched. Then once he got back in the lineup he looked good against the Vikings, decent against the Titans, good against the Pats and great against the Dolphins. The problem lies within those games where he was making poor decisions/untimely mistakes. But if you're going to judge him the mistakes can't outweigh the positives especially if he did more positive than negative within certain games.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah take out all his bad games and he was great.

If you eliminate all his INTs he threw NO INTs this year. That is phenomenal.

If you take out all his losses we were 4-0. Outstanding.

That could be a train coming down that tunnel.

_

NYJetsO12 and KWJetsFan like this.
  9. irishwhip03

Yeah he looked alright against the Bears after throwing a pick 6 on his first pass of the game..and alright against the Lions once the game was already out of reach. Those games were most disappointing considering they came right after a strong start in the first 2 weeks of the season.

The Denver and New England games were also there for the taking considering our D held 2 great QB's in check for most of those games.

10. The 1985er

Boneheaded play but that and the pick in the end zone can't outweigh his overall play.

11. irishwhip03

Those mistakes are usually what separates the good QB's from the not so good QB's though. It was the same problem with Sanchez and that is why he isnt a starter anymore.

I dont think Geno is a finished product by any means , atleast Im hoping , but I dont think last season was a step in the right direction for him at all.

Im not getting excited over 2 games against teams that were dead in the water late last season (MIN, MIA) the same way the games at the end of 2013 didnt impress me.

12. Voyevoda117

Voyevoda117 Member

*on police megaphone*

"SIR!...SIR?!....PUT THE MARIJUANA DOWN!...AND PLEASE SLOWLY BACK AWAY FROM THE LEDGE?!"

#92 Voyevoda117, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. The 1985er

I don't want to be cliche or sound like I'm making excuses but I'm willing to give a player a learning curve, allowing him to play through mistakes and develop without the pressure of a win now situation etc. Players usually learn through experience how to win, you make mistakes and you learn from them. Young players will make mistakes that's a fact. Sanchez got 4 years and in some ways was poorly developed. But I'm not going to judge a player based on the failures of the previous guy. Geno did show improvement from year 1 to year 2, it wasn't the big jump most people were hoping for.

14. irishwhip03

Well I think we'll most likely be forced to play Geno at the start if him and Fitz are equal after training camp and preseason.

So he's gonna get another chance.

In terms of actual development , I don't think anything outside of a smart offensive gameplan and skilled players around him is gonna make a QB better.

At some point things will have to fall on the QB.

15. The 1985er

He needs to minimize his mistakes and make better decisions. I can deal with mistakes just as long as for the most part he is leading scoring drives. He also needs help, there are only 2 or 3 QB's that can turn a bunch of jags into competent weapons. He has the help, now it's up to him to take that next step.

16. irishwhip03

Agreed. I'll accept 20 int's if they come with 35 TDs.

I do like the idea of Geno in a Gailey offense with 2 sure-handed WRs. So if this is his last shot no one can say we didn't have the talent around him.

The 1985er likes this.
  17. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Its hard to believe that multiple games in 2013 he had Salas, Nelson and Gates as the receiving core.

Fast forward two years, he may have Marshall, Cooper and Decker as his top three. That alone will make him better.

18. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Statistically, he cut down on the number of mistakes.

It's ok to see the positive in a player. It doesn't make you weak...in and of itself. ;-)

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

crazy. he can improve, but not enough to be a starter on a legit contending team.

i see more like 62% 19 td 17 int

20. irishwhip03

I see positives in Geno. I love his arm. Way more than I loved Sanchez' arm atleast. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB but he makes bonehead mistakes way too often , which in turn kills his confidence and the teams confidence in him.

PulseJet likes this.