I'm ok with Geno, talk me off the ledge.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Apr 21, 2015.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Are you dreaming?
    Ints for season: 10
    TDs for season: 20

Smith has been benched 5 times in two years to be replaced by the like of Vick who was just as horrible. Smith is a never was and I can't wait until he is no longer on our roster.

Smith has been given every chance and to think he is the long term answer is crazy. They signed Fitz to start over him and he has never had a winning season and is now on his 6th team in ten years. Plus, in only two season did he even have more TDs than turnovers.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol ,I feel like you think people like you around here......not at all

3. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

You must be the voice of TGG, lol.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Bye now Troll

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Would anyone on TGG like to have their own job contingent on how Eugene Smith does this year??

Cmon Smith lovers show your support!

Well, now you can figure out how Mac and Bowles are thinking lol. Might as well flush your career down the toilet.

legler82 likes this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Oh was THAT the only reason?

Maybe Rex should have left him in?

_

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

TL;DR: It is legitimate to be "okay" with Smith being on the roster to compete for the starting or the backup QB position.

But make no mistake about it, there are no green shoots with Geno Smith. Sure, he was a second round pick and he played a lot sooner than he was ready. But Smith's 2014 stats are somewhat skewed because he played fewer snaps than in 2013. With the fewer snaps last year, he played himself toward his benching a lot sooner than in 2013. The turning point came most famously in the Buffalo game (three possessions, three turnovers).

Reasonable minds can differ as to whether, in a vacuum, that's okay for a second round pick, particularly one got placed into the most important position on the field prior to being ready. Certainly, he seems like a decent kid and it is very decent of people to wish him well, as a person. (And he certainly is because he's living out many's childhood dream of getting paid to play professional football.) But it's neither fair to the rest of the team, nor reasonable for fans plopping down cash just to watch the Jets trod out Smith, hoping that he's developed or that those green shoots appear out of brownfields. There has to be some future/backup planning out there (and a broken Fitzpatrick isn't exactly reassuring).

legler82 likes this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I like you Charlie.

_

9. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Finally, a voice of reason on Geno Smith, from arguably the best NFL analyst out there, and a SB-winning former HC:

"I'd be surprised if the Jets pull the plug on Geno because, as painful as it is for some Jets fans, I see some progress," Gruden said Tuesday on a media conference call.

Geno Smith, as polarizing as he is from most of the people I hear talk about him, he's getting better," Gruden said. "He is showing some progress and they are adding some players around him. Brandon Marshall comes to town to potentially give him a go-to target. I think [Jace] Amaro, the young tight end, has a chance to be a factor in the passing game. "
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...ed-be-surprised-if-jets-give-up-on-geno-smith

hornblower likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Steve Young and Kurt Warner say hi. Gruden is far from the best and couldn't develop QBs while he was a HC over in TB

More than likely Gruden had a few drinks prior to that interview

Jets69 likes this.
  11. Truth4U2

That must be why ESPN backed up the truck and paid him a ton of cash to stay on the Monday Night Football team. Gruden's analysis is considered GOLD, ESPN knows that and will do anything to keep his expert analysis. He's the best analyst MNF has ever had, and they know that.....you claim he "couldn't develop QB's while in Tampa", yet he managed to win a SB with Brad Johnson. No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about Gruden!

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be happy seeing Geno start the season, just because of overall frustration. But if the new coaching staff thinks he could play well enough to win I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Rex and his coaching staff did not run QB friendly systems and I think Rex may have hampered the growth of both Sanchez and Geno. Maybe it wasnt totally Rex's fault. Management might have pushed him to start these guys as rookies, which was the wrong choice for both of them. But if he "ran things" in NY like he alluded to in the SI issue last week, then Geno and Sanchez flaming out are on him.

So, basically there have been games where Geno has done well. And if Bowles, Gailey and co. think they can develop more consistency out of him and get more production then so be it. And I agree he is farther along than a Mariota at this point.

#72 PulseJet, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Truth4U2 likes this.
  13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Totes 20 years ago matters now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Truth4U2

Also, I just watched NFL Live on ESPN, and they had a "Make or Break" segment on QB's EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, and RG3. For Geno, they thought this would be a "make" season for him, mainly because of Chan Gailey (who they pointed out is a great offensive mind who will tailor the offense to Geno's strengths, something the last regime didn't do) and the addition of Marshall.

I think fans are underestimating Gailey's ability to help Geno continue to improve, as well as the huge impact Marshall will have on his development.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Money doesn't equal knowledge as far as I am concerned.

Steve Young, Kurt Warner - far better analysts. Gruden is happy about every player. He won a SB because he knew the Raiders offense, the QB from head to toe and the Bucs defense. Brad Johnson did very little to get them there. Nor was he responsible for the journeyman's so called development.

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thats interesting... Well if fans want the Jets to grab playmakers, he is it.

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Geno clearly is not the answer. The problem is, what viable options do they have? I'm not convinced either of these guys in the draft is the answer, and it looks like trading for Drew Brees is a pipe-dream.

19. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

True that..As a Jet fan I will definitely be rooting for him if he is the chosen one to start. (and not by default)
    But he has to be on a short lease not a learning curve. No more, give him time, etc., have seen enough of him that if we dump him I will be ecstatic.

20. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

he is on a VERY short leash. meaning if he is not an average starting qb this year he is out. i only went to one game last year and it was at home vs the bills, so i still have nightmares of that first half...