I'm ok with Geno, talk me off the ledge.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I completely wrote off Geno after the Dolphins Monday night game. Four months later, I checked out his season stats and he didn't play as bad as I thought.

1. He improved his completion percentage from 55% to 59%.
    2. His QB rating went from 66.5 to 77.5.
    3. His ints per game decreased from 1.31 to .92.
    4. His TDs per game increased from .75 to .92.

While his 2013 stats were terrible, he did improve upon them. With the addition of Brandon Marshall, and possibly another WR in the draft, cant we expect him to continue to improve? If the Jets draft a WR at 6 (Cooper) and OL at 37 (Cann), the Jets will have improved OL, RB and WR all this offseason.

With Marhshall, Cooper, Decker, and Kerley, would it be realistic to expect something like this from Geno:

Completion percentage: 62%
    QB Rating 86
    Ints for season: 10
    TDs for season: 20

Or am I just crazy?

JETS1116, elgoman, almbleamal and 3 others like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He was better but still bad. He can improve but the jets shouldn't count on it. If he does great, if he doesn't they should move on quickly and probably not look back

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Buffalo game was horrific, bringing his stats down more.

Still, any QB capable of games like that are not to be trusted.

LIJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

geno blows :/... TERRIBLE throwing motion & TERRIBLE Recognition Does Not make for a Good QB :/

TNJet, FlaJet, Jets69 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, you're crazy..having good receivers doesn't make his arm any better, doesn't make his decision making any better and certainly doesn't convince him to throw the ball before he is stripped, sacked or otherwise embarrassed by the charging defense.

Jets69, westiedog1, june19 and 2 others like this.
  6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He improved but not well enough to go into the season as THE guy.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I'm With you bro! Geno has the tools to be a good enough QB to the guy for this franchise. Chan Gailey is the perfect match for him. IF he for some reason cannot do well with this offense and Gailey then he has no hope. But i really think he was terribly misused by Rex and company.. he's not a west coast QB, he's a vertical spread QB. See what happened when they let him throw the ball down field vs miami in that last game? that's a big time flash of his capabilities when he's not forced to play something he's not comfortable with. "I was playing like a robot" is what HE said... signs that he clearly was comfortable doing those preschool pass plays that even fans could read before they even happened. Not to even mention the weapons he was given to work with and Marty's stupid ass play calls.. Give the kid one more chance.. that's all i ever ask! lol

TheJetLife, LIJetsFan and JETS1116 like this.
  8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't want to talk you off the ledge...I want to push you off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajax, FlaJet, dawinner127 and 9 others like this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Geno will be entering his third year. It is very difficult to become a starting QB in the League. I cannot understand why many fans and the media have pronounced him a failure. He has tools and now experience. The new staff have had a chance to evaluate him. If they stick with him and don't reach for a QB then they obviously think he can play. They are the professionals it's their call not ours or the newspapers.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Really bad PA passer, his achilles heel. Great mobility, his biggest strength. Moments where we move the ball freely downfield, then complete shit on goal line or in the redzone (I blame mm more than Geno for this).

Protecting the football is an issue and making poor decicisions obviously a problem.

If ppl think fitz is easily beating out Geno they are crazy though. The kid has had problems and has played with less talent then most other qbs in the league. Geno can run though, keeping plays alive, something I don't think fitz can do.

It's going to be a better overall product on offense then last season, that's fact

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

OP correctly points out that Geno got better in year two and got MUCH better towards the end of last season. I'm willing to give Geno one more year, as he's under contract for this season and next. He has all of the offensive tools (i.e. WRs, a TE, RBs) and incentive to play for that next contract. If he regresses or plateaus at last year's level, we dump him and draft/trade/sign a QB next offseason. When/if Geno is awful, Fitz can step in and caretake.

There are no franchise QBs available to sign/trade for/draft IMO. It's all overpriced (both in contract and trade terms) veterans (Rivers, Cutler), injury prone underachievers (Bradford, RGIII), or another system QB (Mariotta) or off field train wreck (Jameis) that will require a king's ransom to trade up for.

Given our current desire to make splashes however, I can't rule out anything.

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's under contract, but he needs to earn the starting position.

Needs to greatly improve his redzone play. I dont hate his game between the numbers, but when everything tightens up, he makes a lot of bad throws.

Hopefully Marshall greatly improves that aspect of his game.

13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think he has to have a huge year this year or he's gone. That's going to be tough considering it's not even a given he's going to be starting by the opener. But unless we draft Mariota or Winston (somehow) then he's got a recovering Fitzpatrick and not much else stopping him.

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Stats are deceiving. He was MUCH better in 2013 than he was last season.

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Nice of you to be willing to give him one more year.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Mark made a jump from year 1 to year 2 as well. Most QB's improve somewhat.

Geno's improvement probably shows that he has a future in this league on someones team. The question is, can he be a starting QB.

legler82 likes this.
  17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I can't dude. I am on the same ledge. While I have to say Geno has had ups and downs. I really like Geno and I I want him to succeed. Of course if we pick Mariota that is a mute point. But what's wrong with pulling for Geno?

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Don't look at me like that! I can be sap if I want too!

Red Menace likes this.
  20. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

He would make a good 3rd string QB. Never know if the other two QB's will get hurt. With that being said their is always a chance he could still grow a brain and maybe read a defense. I am so done with his pre-determined one read passes.

TNJet and FlaJet like this.