Jace Amaro said Jets lacked Accountability last year. Rex responds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You will always be biased, what I mean by that is you are pro franchise Qb. You love 'em. I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. Except where is the proof that this was as severe an injury as you claim it is. Could he play and make the throws down the stretch in 2008. He had an injury but how severe. Or should he have been IR'd. My memory is that this was not an issue during the season. It didn't come up. Only after the season did Brett really talk about it. Maybe an excuse for his mediocre play. That's what I remember. Of course every NFL Qb has all kinds of injuries. This is an important debate in terms of understanding NYJ history. Now if Dr. Andrews were to come out and back this up and say that Brett shouldn't have played it would be significant. All we have is Favre's word about this and his agent said no comment when even asked if he had surgery. The Jets were not fined for playing an injured player. They were fined for not reporting an injury.

#281 pclfan, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

In subsequent articles after the season he said that wasn't true. He would have sat down and lost the streak. And of course where was Mangini. If his player couldn't throw the ball he should have gone to Clemens or Ratliff. I doubt that Brett was injured to the point where he couldn't play. Plus we had a decent running game with Thomas Jones, Leon and Tony Richardson.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Are you serious? He had a torn bicep tendon. You don't remember the hue and cry from the fans?

So they guy that was throwing it all over the field through 11 games all of a sudden can't throw the ball with any zip and you don't remember that? If you don't remember Jet fans crying out for him to be sat, then I don't know what to tell you.

Go look at his last 5 games. Tell me that was the same guy from earlier in the year.

You can't because he wasn't.

You say some silly stuff here, but this is up there. You can play injured players as long as the player consents (other than a concussion). You don't get fined for playing injured players.

You get fined for not reporting injuries because of gambling. That's why they have an injury report.

_

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

There really was no verification at the time about the severity of his injury. And what he could or could not do. If he did have a torn bicep injury does that mean he couldn't play. He had a similar injury to his left arm before that with the Packers and did play. Tannenbaum said he could play and that benching him was not a consideration. Again his agent refused to acknowledge that he even had surgery. And if he had surgery it was arthroscopic surgery which isn't as intense. There's a lot of question marks about all of this.

#284 pclfan, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  5. JStokes

I don't know if you know this but he doesn't throw with his left hand.

Because you didn't see an MRI after game 11, you think he was the same guy games 12-16?

And do you not undertsand how arthroscopic surgeries are done now to minimize trauma--not based on the severity of the injury?

Do you know how they fix ACLs now? Heart valves?

_

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't and either do you. Know about anthroscopic surgery, etc. All of these reports about his injury basically started with Favre after the season was over. There was no verification of any of this other than what the news reports called "sources." And if he did have this kind of an injury there are different grades and severity attached. There is no clarification on this or any medical expert saying that Favre shouldn't have played. Favre's agent wouldn't even confirm the surgery.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

So what was the reason why he played according to him?

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't know you tell me. Maybe he was beat up (like most NFL players are in December) but still capable of playing. I don't think Brett went in that direction on this question. He said he would have accepted being sat down. But acknowledged his injury. He let it go at that. The next question is: was the injury responsible for his poor performances. My guess: to some degree. But not a 100% reason (or excuse) for his bad play.

9. The 1985er

You said it, obviously I never saw the interview. So im sure (assuming) that a follow up question would be WHY. I'm not going to call Favre a liar but based on what I saw he looked like a guy that mostly cared about his streak hence why he stayed in. But if he says he would've been willing to sit in favor of Clemons then it is what it is. Doesn't mean I have to believe it though.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Absolutely he does himself no favours when reacting to stuff to the press.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Here is one article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4462072 that briefly mentions and quotes Brett on possibly sitting out games in 2008. It also has info on why he didn't sit out including a few quotes from Kellen Clemens. Basically they all said that Brett was capable of playing although he was in pain.

12. JStokes

Too funny you still don't think he was injured based on our record pre and post injury, his stats pre and post surgery and the eye test pre and post injury.

So are you one of those guys that thinks the Jets won in spite of Sanchez or because of Sanchez. Did the Jets carry him or did he carry the Jets?

_

13. JStokes

It's amazing to me that supposed Jet fans don't remember how precipitous his fall off was after he was injured.

_

14. The 1985er

I see nothing but excuses. In that very article Brett admitted that he was injured and was hurting the team. If we're taking his words at face value then it may be a case of hindsight.
    Yeah I remember him throwing ducks and not looking the same pre injury. Granted Brett wasn't playing that well prior to the injury but at least he made winning plays in key moments to help get us to 8-3.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look the news feeds at that time don't have anything proving that his injury caused his and the Jets demise in 2008. He was injured but as Tannenbaum said did not need extensive treatment. Sure a tear sounds bad but it was probably one he could play through.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Did you see the Seattle game?

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I never viewed Tannenbaum as an honest person, and still don't. I never went by anything he said either. With Mangini he never would have been forthcoming about an injury. His act completely changed with Rex.
    That team was close. As usual it was dysfunctional too under Woody.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't remember it but I know I watched it. And just saw the score. You make a good point.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well you saw Tannenbaum on Hard Knocks. He seemed like a bit of a smart ass who actually kind of enjoyed cutting guys. But if you're saying that Rex brought out the best in him. He didn't change at all.

Walt White likes this.
  20. JStokes

Whoa whoa whoa you don't remember the Seattle game and you're passing judgment on how he played down the stretch? What about the Miami game--remember that one?

As long as you're not remembering games and only looking at stats--go look at his stat lines from the last 5 games.

Then compare them to his first 11.

Let me know if you see a pattern.

_