2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I want to cry. Honest to God, I want to cry. How else should I react to this...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...th_same_formula_for_success_at_Villanova.html

WHEN YOU LOSE in your second NCAA Tournament game for the second time in 2 years as a 1 or 2 seed, and third time since 2010, there will be fallout.

Maybe even a whole bunch. And much of that will be directed at the guy in charge.

That's the way the world spins.

In the last 27 seasons, Villanova has made it to the second week of the Madness four times. All of those happened from 2005 to '09. Jay Wright was part of that, too.

Now, everyone wants to know what he's doing wrong, even though the Wildcats have won 62 of their last 70 games. It's that 3-5 record in the four-letter tourney since '09 that's the issue.

So how do you change that part of all this?

"I don't think we need to do anything differently as a program," Wright said yesterday, 2 days after his 33-win team was eliminated, 71-68, in Pittsburgh by a North Carolina State team that's lost 13. "We've got to play better in those games. We know what we're supposed to do. We do it during the regular season.

"We've been in this long enough to kind of try everything. In recruiting. Our philosophy. We look at the success we've had in the NCAA Tournament, and the failure, and what is really the best way to do it at Villanova. And we feel like we're doing it the best way. It's not in an arrogant way. It's more out of experience. We tried to adjust things based on the NCAA Tournament before [after 2009], and it didn't work. We'll stick to who we are and be the best Villanova program we can be. That'll give us the best chance to advance in the tournament.

"We know what we need to do. I don't think it's based on changing what we do as a program."

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am sure he needs to tweak things here and there as every good coach will but overall they don't have to change.

3. HackettSuxTNG

"Wright to Villanova supporters..."

[​IMG]

4. HackettSuxTNG

You sure you don't have a vested interest in everything remaining the same?

5. nyjunc

I don't really care either way, keep him and have chances to win vs. hoping the next guy may win. if you want to win I'd keep him though.

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah pretty much Kentucky taking it but ND still tough. They shouldn't have lost their last two..they fought hard and strapped up on defense, forced turnover and earned W's as a result.

7. HackettSuxTNG

Win, but not expect to ever advance to another final four in my lifetime?

8. nyjunc

Be happy you saw one, it's one more FF than I have seen SBs from the Jets.

9. HackettSuxTNG

See, I won't accept that. I will not accept my Alma-Mater's sole purpose to be a warm-up for UNC, Kentucky, and the likes to win national championships.

10. nyjunc

you have no choice, you don't play, you don't coach, you don't do anything w/in the basketball program so you have no control.

11. HackettSuxTNG

Junc, no disrespect intended, but you underestimate the power of people who are actually Alum of a University they support.

BrowningNagle and joe like this.
  12. nyjunc

I understand but you are 1 person, are you going to organize a firewright.com billboard? you don't deserve anything, those players and those connected w/ the program are the ones that ultimately matter not fans, alums or anyone else. so saying you won't accept it is silly, the program is better than ever under Wright so if you want him gone organize some yahoos to get rid of him and see what comes along next. Maybe you get another Lappas? Villanova isn't getting a big time coach to replace him. it's not a top job and the BE is no longer a top conference.

By the way, none of you guys have any idea what my connection is to UNC and UNC basketball.

13. HackettSuxTNG

Am I one person? Do you really know to what extent I am involved with Alumni groups, or how much I invest in time to my Alma-Mater?

14. nyjunc

I think it is a bunch of whiners complaining about the team losing. Go ahead and get Wright fired, that would be the dumbest thing they could do. go back to being an irrelevant basketball school. you guys would deserve another Lappas if he got fired.

15. HackettSuxTNG

Really? All I am doing is using the sole standard that YOU have set for success in countless arguments: NCAA Tournament Performance, and applied it to my team. That makes me a "whiner"?

First of all, I challenge you to go back and review this discussion we are having. Where have I ever said "Fire Jay Wright"?

But you know what, I take exception in your statement anyway. Let's say I did want to fire Wright, which I do not. Are you suggesting that Steve Lappas is the only other coaching option out there?

What if Villanova offered the position to C.B. McRath? Don't you think he is a better choice that Steve Lappas?

16. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I'm here, I'm here. Lavin blows...rumors are he is on the way out. Would really put us in a tough place for next season but it's for the best. Hope he's out.

Poeman and joe like this.
  17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Okay you two.... Enjoy the two games I posted above.

nyjunc likes this.
  18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

And hell... This one's for me. Because. well.. Fuck Georgetown

nyjunc likes this.
  19. nyjunc

you don't want him fired then contradicting yourself w/ your bashing of him.

I don't think C.B. would jump at the chance to go to 'Nova, I'm not sure he wants to be a HC.

Carolina standards are different than 'Nova. it's like comparing the Jets and Pats or Mets and Yanks. I think Jay has elevated 'Nova into a really good program. It's ok to be pissed at losing early but you have to take a step back and see the big picture.

There is a larger than should be % of Carolina fans that want Roy gone or are at least questioning him. it's asinine. Bad losses happen. Dean Smith went from 1983-1990 w/o a FF appearance, they said the game had passed him by then his last 7 seasons he reached 4 FFs and won a Nat'l title. Roy went from 1994-2001 w/o reaching a FF in Kansas including some awful defeats in the rd of 32. lost as a 1 seed in the rd of 32 in 1997 w/ a loaded team then when questions about him started to surface he led KU to back to back FFs and were a few FTs from winning a Nat'l title before going home to Carolina and winning 2 titles. Now it's been 6 years since the Heels last FF and fans are impatient. A LOT has gone on these past few years but he's still a great coach and should be the HC until he decides he wants to retire.

20. nyjunc

Meeks practiced yesterday, didn't participate in contact drills but did practice. they are going to check the swelling today so hopefully he checks out ok and is good to go tomorrow.