Jets Sign Marcus Gilchrist

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

It's clear to see that, at least among the secondary, the guys drafted by idzik (milliner/Pryor/mcdougle) will not be expected to contribute much especially since 2 of them are coming off injuries and are brittle to start with......

Wow, a strategy that actually makes sense coming from the jets. Pinch me. At least it takes secondary out of the conversation for the top 2 or 3 rounds in the draft. Thankfully.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Pryor could start, gilchrist is Landry's replacement.

3. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

gilchrist played SS with the chargers

4. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

That's because the Chargers have an All Pro FS in Weddle... Gilchrist WILL be the FS of the NYJ.

boozer32 and irishwhip03 like this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rotoworld doesn't seem to like him very much and they are usually pretty accurate with their evaluations, I thought he was better than this.

"Gilchrist is coming off a rough year for the Chargers, but the Jets have a hole at safety with Dawan Landry walking. Gilchrist can also man the slot, but the Jets are now four deep at cornerback, with Buster Skrine at the nickel. Including Calvin Pryor and Jaiquawn Jarrett, the Jets are three deep at safety. Gilchrist is up-and-down in coverage."

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Dude. Bowles must not really be impressed with Pryor with bringing in Gilchrist in. Of course, nobody was impressed with Pryor last year, but I would have given him another chance to start.

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

No way you cut Pryor. These Secondary signings should help Millner Macdougle Allen Pryor Williams. This could be an interesting draft. While we still have some ways to go, these FA pick ups and several trades fill some holes but gives us huge flexibility in the draft. I wasn't a Mariota fan to grab @ 6 but now that changes things. For once I am looking forward to draft not worrying whether it fills our immediate needs. Anything now is a surplus.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Teams won't be passing on us like last year, and we know they won't be running on us, all that leaves is our offense being able to score just enough points to win and not turning the ball over.

Problem is when in Buffalo was in this offense, Fitz had a turn over for each TD. GeNO is even worse! Parcell's use to say the defense's job was to hold the other team to 20 or less points and the offense's job was to score 21 or more. Right now I feel our defense will need to hold the other team to 13 or less.

xmscott likes this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am sure this is a big reason we got him, he does it all.

"A breakdown of his snaps last season, via ESPN Stats & Information: Slot (401 snaps), strong safety (306) and free safety (201). "

JETFIGHTERS and irishwhip03 like this.
  10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Gilchrist can also return kicks and punts I don't know if he did for the chargers at all but he did at clemson

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

So mad he just burned his last timeout early in the 3rd quarter.....again.

12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i guess his role will determine how much his contract is..im not going to be bothered by this move but i just wish this team could just get a no brainer regular center feilder

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We need an upgrade at LB'r, that's where we'll get hurt in the passing game.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is false.

"A breakdown of his snaps last season, via ESPN Stats & Information: Slot (401 snaps), strong safety (306) and free safety (201). He played more than 900 defensive snaps, rarely coming off the field."

He moved around a lot and played a majority of his snaps last season in the slot.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

So are we done with the secondary yet? Are we getting anything else in FA before the cap room runs out? lol

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL

I think it's safe to say we are done on defense.

I really love what we did. We just MASSIVELY upgraded our defense and completely eliminated the secondary as a need. We can now go into the draft with QB, OLB, and WR on our mind. Don't have to worry about drafting another defensive back

17. jetsons

Bowles plays a lot with only 2 LB's... Davis & Harris will man the middle & Allen can play the tweener... But I agree, A Pass Rushing OLB IS A NEED.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Harris is atrocious in coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNJet likes this.
  19. jetsons

Any news on Antwan Barnes??? ... If & When healthy he's a A Presence.

20. jetsons

That's why He'll man the middle, more to stop a draw or shadow the QB... Allen can handle the TE's