Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Jets think Fitzpatrick will be the clear starter come week 1:

"Fitzpatrick won't be promised the starting job by Jets management, as one league source tells Metro that “the move was done with the idea that Ryan is the starter come Week 1.”

“He's much more a sure thing," the source said. "He limits mistakes, he makes smart throws. Will he have to win the job? Yes. It isn't his de facto. Do the Jets expect him to? Yes. This isn't a situation like last year.”"

http://touch.metro.us/sports/source...-jets-starting-2015-qb/zsJock---EMOPEYVRBLZY/

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not every franchise QB is drafted in the first 6 picks.

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I have been telling people for a long time that you cannot evaluate Smith accurately because if Rex's input and this is more evidence of that. FWIW, they were saying on NFL Network SiriusXM that Geno us the starter and Fitz brought in to mentor.

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I thought Fitz was a mentor too, but an article I saw on BR (falco linked it) completely changes everything

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

A competition in this case is a good thing. Neither of these guys are going to get the Jets anywhere, so let the team start whoever will suck less this year.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

!!!!! Yeah that is embarrassing. Talk about a way to completely destroy an otherwise bad/young QB. That was fucked up and it was obvious to the eye that they were doing that. From the moment they got Harvin they were forcing passes to him.

I really have to believe that was coming from Rex (or above) and not Marty.. Only because I don't understand how a guy who dedicated his life to offensive football would think thats a good idea. Also Marty & Rex had obvious disagreements last year probably because of that. It sounds too much like a Rex idea - like the fuckin colored wristbands for Sanchez...

That's the only reason I want to keep Geno Smith around, not necessarily start or anything (I want him to earn it), but I just want to see how he looks under a new set of eyes, new guidance, new system...

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The Jets are not bringing in guys to "mentor" Smith anymore.

They are bringing in guys who can play.

They weren't looking at Hoyer to mentor Smith.

They weren't looking at Bradford to mentor Smith.

It's such nonsense to think that this move was done to prop Geno up.

_

thankyourevis likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This move was a way to have a serviceable QB for next season and to mentor Marcus Mariota

june19 likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Oh my

"Rex Ryan said on @FAN590 that he tried to trade for Tyrod Taylor when he was with the Jets."

10. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Well I knew better than that (fake it till you make it)....make it to the playoffs and we can discuss it futher.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I never thought he was going to amount to anything so I was not surprised. He did not look like a rookie or a second year player, he looked like a player that was in way over his head, could not think fast enough to process what was going on and thus was always two steps behind everyone else on the field. There is nothing that is going to help him speed up his thought processes and why he will never last in the league.

He has had many horrible games, in contrast he has had maybe 3-4 what can be called good games and the same amount of average games where the rest of the team won the game. 3-4 good games, not even a great game to be found in 2 years, he had is shot, let another team try a reclamation project.

12. The Waterboy

What the hell are you mumbling about?

13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Who?

14. Big Cat

I think he was the Ravens backup quarterback; he literally doesn't do anything but run. I guess that tells us what influence Rex had on the wildcat offense...

15. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

It's hard to get excited with Fitzpatrick as the starter...I hope we get lucky and get MM, or the presence of Fitz motivates Geno to play better in what's almost certainly his last chance

16. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Good luck with that.

17. DanR

DanR Active Member

6'2 is short?

18. The Waterboy

Hardly need luck with my view of things. Looks like you could use a little help putting your thoughts to written word though.

19. Jason Wirchin

Jason Wirchin Member

I think he can be adequate if we need him to start this year. Design plays suited to his strengths, obviously short to intermediate high percentage throws. Run alot. Set up play action.

It certainly helps having good receivers who can get open; Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Amaro.

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Fitzpatrick could be our Testaverde'98 this year.
    Different skill set of course but, a veteran castoff that never was/no one wants - ending up at the right place, at the right time.