Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding the bolded part, this could be the other big area of improvement to go along presmuably with fewer turnovers. Smith Fans want to dump on Marty, but Marty's ability to field an aggressive and effective O was hamstrung by the need to simplify for Smith. People who kept urging that the O be tailored to Smith's weaknesses, to cover for them, ignored how predicable and defensible that made the Jet O. And that despite an effective running game. It was especially a problem in the red zone.

Fitz will allow the Jets to run an attack that will be less predictable, and that should improve the performance of the O.

greenbeanz and PulseJet like this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is not true. Fitzpatrick has been described as "putting training wheels" on his OC's offense because there are so many things he can't do. He has the mental capacity but not the physical tools.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Marty Mornhinweg hinted this week that he'll scale back the offense because he "put too much on (Smith's) plate."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...-little-to-much-on-geno-smiths-plate?v=1&vc=1

4. Big Cat

This article is the only reason I believe Geno deserves a chance to prove himself.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-coaches-predetermined-throws-for-geno-smith

How can you do this to an NFL QB? People criticize him for not going through his progressions, but he was literally instructed to. I think it was most evident in the Bills game where he was forcing it to a blanketed newly acquired Percy. I can't believe marty did that.

PulseJet likes this.
  5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I agree, people think Rex got a raw deal, but I think Marty was really snake bit by this team because he not only didnt have the QB to run his offense, but the guy brought in that could run the offense wasn't given a chance to compete and checked out early. And w-r-t Geno, he started the year pretty good and looked to be making strides but then just broke down. It shows he was well coached and MM had a good game plan for him but teams adapted and he couldnt cope. Or, once he started running into difficulties Rex took over and forced MM to simplify further, that typical "My Defense can win us these games" bravado. The point is MM got tarnished but he was always a pretty good OC.

6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Was it Marty or Rex?

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Developmental backup type makes me go meh. Lots of short passes that inflate stats. lots of no read passes. pretty inaccurate considering the ease of the throws he asked to make. Struggles with deep ball. physically average. good enough to be in the NFL but I wouldn't be excited about having him on my team.

8. Big Cat

Good point, I can see Rex trying to do that, especially to show off a shiny new toy.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Yea, im not saying fitz is terrible or some bum. I'm glad we got him, as he was the best option for a veteran who could start and/or backup that probably wont embarass himself and lose games for you. id rather have waited for his release but thats all water under the bridge.

i looked back as well, and it wasnt quite as bad as I painted it.... but i think my point still is pretty accurate... sure, Fitz is farmiliar with chan gailey, but it isnt like they were any good when they were last together. fitz numbers last year without chan have me more optomistic then anything he did with chan.

10. jerseyjay14

What would be wrong with Mariotta starting if he looks good in camp/preseason?

This isnt the 80's or 90's. Throwing your QB to the wolves isnt some crazy notion anymore. The rules are in place to protect the QB and they go overboard. You dont need to worry about guys getting killed. offenses are spread and move quick and up tempo. everything is easier and more simplified. Learning on the job isnt like it was when say, david carr came into the league. now you cant touch recievers, illegal contact is up like 500%, and you cant touch the QB.

i'm all for Mariotta starting IF we take him and IF he shows in camp he is ready and outplays fitz.

11. jerseyjay14

getting better is always good, is it not?

why wouldnt we be happy with the move?

no one is saying fitz is the savior at QB

12. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Well no, the guy was a rookie and played like one, last year was his second year he's still learning. What you thought he was going to the pro bowl in his second year? yeah he's had some horrible games who hasn't? He's had good games too....let's hope for more of those.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That's what Geno himself told us.

_

14. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

That's a lie. Post the real quote.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Do your own research. Flashes, actual pro bowl, this is the internet not a trial, who gives a shit?

Geno apologists, that's who.

_

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If my fears about not being interested in Mariota are true we as Jets fans better hope like hell that Geno drastically improves.

Fitzpatrick might be the best of a shitty bunch but he is not a good starting option with a team talented enough to compete. Quality back up, good mentor and stop gap but zero upside.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We will have an opportunity to draft a QB in the coming years. In the mean-time let's build the roster up. They were 6-6 as a starter with him in. I think we can compete with Fitzpatrick until we get that QB that the FO loves. He's nothing more than a stop-gap.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

One would hope we won't be drafting 6th anytime again which means there will be no chance of getting a franchise QB either.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

because franchise QB's never get drafted after 6th overall

74 likes this.