Dee Milliner's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetLifeLo, Mar 11, 2015.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'd put out feelers to see what offers we can get. If someone offered us a 2nd rounder, I be hard-pressed not to take it. Even a 3rd rounder would be tough to pass on.

This all falls under the "he's not my draft pick" philosophy of the new FO & CS. Maccagnan could have been a guy that didnt even have Milliner top 25 on his draft board when he was with the Houston Texans.

2. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

This is why we won 4 games last year. not to mention misses with Sanchez and geNO smith.

3. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Hell if I know, but it's nice not having a problem at CB unlike last season.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Cromartie is nowhere near a long term solution, if he is signed I indicates to me that he knows the defense and that they aren't sold on Milliner right now. Cro is probably a 1 year band aid and if Milliner doesn't beat him out this season then that is when I would level judgment

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I think if we sign Cro it would be best for him. He can come in and not be relayed upon right out of the gate. Instead learn behind 2 great vets.

At this point if we get anything out of him and McDougale next season its just a bonus. If either or both get injured again or just dont play well I think its safe to say they wont be on the team in 2016.

As good as Revis is I think its still important to have strong depth. We dont need anymore Lito Sheppard's or Drew Coleman's.

LAJet likes this.
  7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Kinda what i was thinking...there's no way Milliner has NO value. U telling me we couldnt snag a late 2nd or 3rd rd pick from Dallas for him?

Edit: I'm not saying i would do it.. just speaking on if he has value or not.

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Dee Milliner would still be the third best CB on the team if Cro signs with us. Not sure what the issue is.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  9. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

Millner is slated to the #4 CB this year, meaning he will not see the field that much. If we sign Cro, at the very least he's just a 1 year band aid, could very well be 2 or 3 years but lets just say he's one and done and we cut him after this season. Going into 2016 Millner MIGHT be given the opportunity to start, but how many CBs show and play so little their first 3 years in the league and then go on to be really productive players deserving of a starting spot? I'm sure you could find a few examples, but I really think this stacks the cards against Millner ever having a real role with this team, barring an injury.

10. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

If that's your belief and you think that Millner will be the #3 CB on this team, that means that we just paid $25 million for our #4 CB. That's the issue!

11. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'd keep him and hope he develops his game with Revis mentoring him. The only way I trade him is if someone offers an early round pick or if another young CB on the roster outperforms him.

12. Charlie Kelly

Not too many, but how many corners get to study film and technique with the most technically sound film junkie CB in the past 20 years? At this point I think that Milliner being good is a long shot, but the situation he is in is not closely comparable to any situation I can think of so it may not fit with your request for comparison.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You don't trade him now. His value is down and he hasn't had the chance to show what he can do. Sometimes the grass is greener in your own backyard. He could still be a good player and a starter.

#33 pclfan, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    kevmvp likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You keep him. It's not hard.

Revis and Cro are not the future bit merely the present.

You need young depth at key positions yo eventually step up and be the guy. If something happens to Cro or Revis during the season, having a capable starter to come in at such a crucial position is ideal.

He has a lot of talent, I still think he will eventually become a big time player.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  15. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

If anyone can teach him to play up to his full potential, its Revis. You keep him, let Revis mentor him, and maybe, just maybe, he goes from being a bust, to a serviceable player (if not a star)..

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If Milliner is smart he'll attach himself to Revis and do everything Revis does. McDougle too.

17. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I have fewer doubts about Milliner's ability and more about his health. He has two years to prove he can stay healthy and develop. If he can avoid injuries, I think he has a long-term role on this team.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dee Milliner being the 3rd best CB on the team if Cro signs IS the issue.. Unless of course you think he's the best CB in the NFL like he used to think of himself. It will be interesting to see if all the big mouth blowhards that used to follow Rex's style will continue to talk shit without backing it up on the field.

I'd like to think they finally get it.

19. Charlie Kelly

Being able to watch Revis work on the field will be a real lesson in humility in itself

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

you can not possibly give up on a top 10 first rounder in his 3rd year

JetLifeLo and JETS1116 like this.