Dee Milliner's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetLifeLo, Mar 11, 2015.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Now that we locked up Revis and Skrine.. and a good chance Cromartie to, what do we do with Dee Milliner? The kid went from our #1 corner to possibly a lock for our #4 in a matter of 12 hours.

He's still young, still has upside, and was a top 10 pick only 2 drafts ago.

Do we trade him? let him develop and hopefully learns from the boss (Revis of course) and give him minimal PT or a dime package maybe.. or cut him before his rookie contract is up?

Thoughts?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need alot of CBs in Bowles system. He will be here!

greenbeanz, Snatch Catch and HAYN like this.
  3. roger

roger Active Member

I'd be happy to let him develop behind Revis and Cro through the end of his rookie deal. If he's playing great, he's my Revis replacement. If not, he's either gone or signed to a mid-level deal.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah i guess this is the most logical approach.. you don't think making him sit a little long may stunt his growth though? at the end of the day experience is everything.

5. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

This. Its cheap to keep him and by the time his rookie deals up, we'll know what we have in him. By that point he can take over for revis or cro or we can let him walk

4jetfans likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Under Revis if he stays healthy he will be quickly up to number 2 and hopefully eventually Revis replacement when he retires a HOF. Would that be nice?
    I just don't want to give up on young talent before its time. Remember, Cro is a short term solution at best.

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

You definitely keep him. Obviously injuries are an issue but with so much talent ahead of him he will play a smaller role with less opportunity for injury whilst being mentored by two incredible vets, one of which he's played with already. Furthermore, in his rookie year he showed he can play in this league. He has the talent to be a starter, consistency and health are hihis issues. Let him grow in a smaller role, learning from Bowles, Revis and Cro, in two to three years we may see him starting opposite Revis, Skrine or someone new.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You're not gonna get anything for him. He's still not even healthy. You wait for him to get on the field and prove something.

Mac & Bowles are not fuckin around waiting to see maybe if he can play.

I'm more hopeful for Williams and McDougle than for him.

Milliner's got serious work to do after all the time he's missed.

ajax, boozer32, wewantsapp and 2 others like this.
  9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I think if he is healthy and can play he'll be here,n it seems at this point there operating under the assumption he won't be a contributor

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

He's more valuable as depth than he would be in a trade. Just like it is foolish to sell your house at a loss when property values are down but you can afford to keep it, you don't trade a first round player you could still use when his trade value is minimal.

The Uniform Bomber and JetsUK like this.
  11. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Milliners's more proven than McDougle. Milliner, if healthy, can play at starter caliber on the outside. McDougle has shown a good training camp.

Really, Williams is a perfect balance. He came in hungry, played well for us, didn't get injured.

12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i dont think he has trade value at this point....but package him for mariota?!!!!

13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Keep him for depth and hope he supplants Cro (assuming we sign him) over the course of the season, he's not a lost cause at this point

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If he can get healthy he has the potential to be great - it would be insane to let him go for next to nothing especially on a rookie contract.

devronnyj likes this.
  15. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem is that Achilles tear injury. Though about 70% of players with such injuries return to play, many of them fail to reach even close to their previous performance levels (based on an NFL longitudinal study published a few years ago, specifically about Achilles tear injuries.)

Maybe medicine and conditioning of today can help Milliner, but we can't bank on him. I'm happy to keep him on his rookie deal until he proves that he can be healthy and productive. The move him to the number 2 role if he beats out his competition.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If we sign Cromartie then Milliner is going to have a very reduced role on this team. People saying that Bowles system requires a lot of CB's arent wrong, but its dictated on what the offense throws at them. If the Jets sign Cromartie him and Revis are playing. They arent rotating with Milliner.

Milliner will be relegated to dime and possibly nickel packages.

17. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

if we sign Cro then the writing is pretty much on the wall: we think he's a bust and even if he's healthy we're prepared to let him ride the pine. I know some people may not want to hear it but....

18. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I honestly hope the FO passes on Cromartie; IMO he's severely overrated, and tying thirty million into one position is risky. But if the Jets do sign Cromartie, I expect to see Miliner in sub packages such as Dime... I know many posters here are down on Milliner, but I'm high on him and he played excellent towards the end in season the '13... he won't be 100% next season, so it'll be difficult to evaluate his technique and play in general, but I expect him to be a part of the Jets future.

19. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Send with Idzhik, the guy was a bum when we drafted him 6th. Picking up Revis, Cro, and Screen (i don't know how to spell his name and I'm lazy) means the writing is on the wall for him. At this point, I just hope we can salvage Pryor.

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Milliner, Wilson and Pryor, what do they all have in common; waste of a 1st round pick and all drafted by Rex. Add in Quinton Coples who is not that great and is shows how bad Rex was at drafting defensive players. Sure Richardson is good at his job (not too bright though), then even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I am so glad Rex is gone and I hope his drafts in Buffalo are as bad as our were.

TNJet likes this.