Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

"What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — PLAYOFFS? You kidding me? PLAYOFFS? I just hope we can push 8-8."

But yeah, agree about the Geno stuff.

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Fitz negative side is that he is a bit like sanchez throws a lot of picks, mostly because he always trying to make a play even if the guys are covered.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My long winded two cents about this move.

Did you guys notice how many people, many from other teams,are jumping in the discussion reminding us that Fitz is nothing special and don't count on him to take us to the playoffs. Weak arm, makes mistakes under pressure, etc,etc.

I think most Jet fans here have the right expectations of him....clearly he is not a Bradford or Breese that we can rally the team around and be super competitive. We know that. Yet Fritz as worst case can hold the fort without embarassing an otherwise pretty good team and best case under the right schemes win a bunch of games.

Fitz does this for us, and it's quite critical. He gives us the assurance that we will enter 2015 with more than one option under center, because we can not possibly accept a performance level like Geno vintage 2014. Period, end of story. One could plug in an another name for Fritz but the results are the same. Stud QBs do not hit free agency. That much is clear.

If Geno truly outperforms Fritz then good for us. If he doesn't he will ride the pine and his days are numbered. Fitz can at a minimum salvage an otherwise embarassing season. In actuality we can have two QB that under Gaileys direction can elevate their game and make us a winner.

I think most of us clearly know that if either MM or Winston are there at six we pull the plug and let him learn under someone like Fitz.

If they are both gone we go BPA all the way, and continue the quest for a QB next year...while we continue to strengthen the rest of the team.

Fitz gives us options, and as a minimum a damned good BU that cares....unlike Vick. And if Geno does not improve by a bunch Fitz is a legitimate starter under center, one that actually has performed at his peak on this system.

#223 LAJet, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Pocket Jet, Acad23 and MarkGast99 like this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Why am I the only one not excited about this?People are acting like we traded for Drew Brees.I still hope the plan is to draft Mariota if he's there

silent scream likes this.
  5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Ideal stop gap guy in case we get Marcus

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick provides veteran talent and experience in Chan Gailey's system. He also gives us a better opportunity to win games over having to deal with Geno Smith.

People aren't excited thinking he's our franchise guy. People are excited because we now have a QB who has had success in this league and can be a very strong mentor for a young prospect such as Mariota.

7. LongIslandBlitz

Is Fitzpatrick really that much better then Geno?its up for debate .Id still give Geno the job and a short leash and give him 3 games to not shit the bed before going with Fitzpatrick.Maybe he can build off that Miami game or maybe he's as horrible as we all think he is

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They literally HAD to get someone, if Mariotta's gone by 6 or not what the Jets are eyeing they couldn't have Geno and Matt Simms be the #1-2 again. Or Geno-Bryce Petty/whatever late round QB.

Fitzpatrick actually fits better than the other schlebs cause of his prior experience in the system.

9. Falco21

Are you joking? Lol

Geno Smith has consistently finished in the bottom two since he's been in the league. My grandmother is better than Geno Smith at this point

Pocket Jet likes this.
  10. LongIslandBlitz

Yea I get all that but it just doesn't do anything for me ...I still hope Mariota is an option not having a franchise qb is miserable

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Capiche? >>

12. LongIslandBlitz

Yea but its only been two years Fitzpatrick has been in the league for awile now we know what his ceiling is,Geno still has a chance to develop into something....I'm not saying the chances are great

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Getting Fitzpatrick isn't going to prevent them from getting Mariotta or another upgrade should one present itself, giving up a conditional pick isn't chaining you to having Geno-Fitz.

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I know this was a typo but he totally looks like a Fritz, that should be his new nick

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'm not even a little excited about this. My hope is that Geno plays well enough in camp so that Fitz never sees the field. There's a reason he's been on 6 teams in 11 years. He's got backup talent at best. I'd much rather give Geno one more year to figure it out than watch us start a career journeyman who has no upside.

16. Falco21

Fitzpatrick has done fairly well in the league. Last year he finished with 17 TD and 8 INT with a 93 rating.

He also threw for 71 TD under Gailey in Buffalo. He has a turnover problem, but at this point, anything is better than Geno Smith

17. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way they consider Fritz a long term solution, if anything he's just a place holder for a future QB that we draft, and an insurance policy if a QB doesn't fall in the first, not sure what is so distressing about this situation

18. LongIslandBlitz

Its crazy when you realize Fitzpatricks rookie season was in 2005,Hopefully he has more left in the tank then Vick did if we need him to suit up

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

While I don't think Geno is the answer, this is a ridiculous statement

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Fitz's 2014 numbers are severely skewed by a 6 TD no pick game against a Titans team that was essentially letting the Texans play the game like a walk through.