Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Its OK...Im sure glad we beat Miami in week 17 to let the Skins move ahead of us

2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If the Jets want Mariota that badly, they could always jump the Skins and jump up to #4.

3. dgiven91

dgiven91 Active Member

I was a pretty big Geno apologist up until the Buffalo game. There's no denying that he's been straight up awful at times.
    That being said.
    A lot of you are really overlooking the fact that Geno has had one of the worst supporting casts in the NFL. 8 wins as a rookie quarterback with the talent he had to work with was pretty amazing. Last year was a disappointment, but Jace Amaro was a drop machine and Decker seemed to be hurt more often than not. So once again, what did he have to work with?
    Regardless, I said after last season that if I was GM, I would bring in a veteran quarterback to actually compete with Geno in camp, instead of the fake competition crap they pulled the last couple of years. He hasn't really had to earn the starting spot. He should have lost to Sanchez in year one, but we all saw how that went down. Last year he was getting 75% of the reps in camp. Obviously he was the expected starter.
    Enter new coaching staff with no prior loyalty, and Fitzpatrick who is a serviceable starter. Let them go head to head, splitting the starting reps equally. I don't know much about Gailey, but it sounds like the offense is something much better tailored to Geno's skillset. If it's close at all coming out of camp, start Geno with a super short leash. Now he has Marshall as a 1, Decker as a 2, Kerley at slot, and what should be an improved Amaro, as well as a better offensive line. Maybe Kevin White or Amari Cooper as well. Year 3, vastly improved supporting cast, there aren't anymore excuses.
    I don't think you can completely write him off yet. As bad as he's been, you can't blame everything on the quarterback. Morningwheg wasn't exactly the cream of the crop of offensive coordinators.
    I really think that Geno is going to have a breakout year this year.
    Though, for full disclosure, I said that last year too. The only difference is that this time I'm acknowledging that if he fucks it up again, he's done in the NFL. His receiving corps now rivals some of the best in the league. Hopefully he understands that this is his last chance and takes advantage of it.

#203 dgiven91, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Career

GeNO: 57.5% completion, 25 TD, 34 INT
    Fitzdisaster: 60.2% completion, 123 TD, 101 INT

And GeNO is better than Fitzdisaster, right?

RIGHT. I knew 25/34 was greater than 123/101.

5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Everyone shitting on this move, tell me what else should be done? Every QB option was pretty much the same.

It's not like they signed Fitzpatrick instead of Luck.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I see no reason why the Redskins would take Mariota, they need to take one of those pass-rushers IMO. And LOL @ Foreskins.

I hope so as well in regards to TN, I prefer Mariota to be available OTC @ 6. We have talent to win now, we can afford to sit Mariota down for a yr or so for sure.

7. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Don't be too hasty bro..Geno could be the best QB Gailey has worked with or maybe not, time will tell not you or I.

8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Pocket Jet likes this.
  9. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

He's gonna put some good competition into the mix if nothing else. I think this is a sound coaching move, it makes everyone compete for their jobs. Competition makes everything better, always.

"The Beatles needed the Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric." ~Jean Girard

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Totally agree. Nobody thinks Fitz is the franchise. Fitz is a placeholder/mentor for what hopefully will be the Franchise QB. If Mariota is gone, we go in a different direction in 2015 and set our sights on 2016's QB class. Of course if Geno manages to keep his head out of his ass and puts up NFL numbers instead of the shit show he's been up until now, Fitz can show him the ropes and keep the pressure on the Kid. We don't lose because we really are retooling and trying to become competitive again. We should at least double our win total and I can't ask for more than that in 2015.

Point being, trading for Fitz does not solve our QB issues by any stretch but it does provide a credible alternative to Bad Geno and a bridge to the 2016 Qb class.

#210 Cman68, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  11. MarkGast99

MarkGast99 New Member

How is Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Can he beat out Geno? ... Can he play at a high level? ... Is he a reliable back up? ... A reliable starter? ...

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're about to find out...

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Has Gailey ever worked with any other QB? Ever?

Then I highly doubt Geno is the best he's ever worked with.

lulz aside, Troy Aikman was his QB in Dallas in 1998 and 1999.

I think he's better than Geno.

_

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Can he beat out Geno?
    Yes

Can he play at a high level?
    Depends what you consider high level, he alone will not win you games but he can be a very good game manager

Is he a reliable back up?
    Yes

A reliable starter?
    Better then what we got

john law likes this.
  15. Garrison Nauman

Garrison Nauman Active Member

Fitz must start for us. I don't care what anyone says I've seen it with my own two eyes: GeNO is simply not a good football player and has minimal room to grow. Will never be and NFL starting caliber player.

I will be extremely disappointed if Fitz isn't under center week 1. It gives us our best shot at the playoffs

rohirrim665 and NJBeliever like this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

There's a new administration now. It would mean that GeNo actually would have earned that privilege. Holy Smokes what a concept! Considering there will be another QB added to the mix most likely, it would be surprising Geno's starting.

17. MarkGast99

MarkGast99 New Member

Thanks guys ... I'm tired of game managers, I want us to have a QB who can win you games ...

A QB that make average WR's look like good WR's ... A QB that make good WR's look like great WR's ...

I don't know about Fitz but if he's better than Geno then bring hi on, I'm not sold on Geno ...

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

As put by another poster, Fitz establishes a floor for the Jets' QB play this year. Put alternatively, he will lose the Jets less games than Smith (at least, it seems that way). That's a guarantee that Hoyer could not have provided and, thus, having Fitz aboard is a good thing. Even if Smith, by some miracle, beats out Fitz, then the Jets have something to fall back on. Same deal with Mariota - if, by some miracle, the Jets acquire him, then Fitz can carry the ball until Mariota is ready. Yes, Fitz isn't Brees, but look at the QB play we've been forced to watch the past two years. Whether it's as a starter or backup, Fitz is an upgrade.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick and nice in the same thread?

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

"Some takeaways on the New York Jets' trade for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick:

1. This was another solid move by Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, who deals a conditional seventh-round pick (2016) to the Houston Texans for a quarterback who went 6-6 last season on a 9-7 team. Fitzpatrick has been on the Jets' radar for nearly two months as they monitored the Houston QB situation. Actually, this move is similar to what the previous regime did last year by signing Michael Vick -- an over-30 player with experience in the offensive coordinator's system and a guy who can provide competition for Geno Smith. Presumably, Fitzpatrick will get a fair shot to compete for the starting job, something Vick never was afforded. The basic dynamic doesn't change, though: It's a Band-Aid. The Jets continue to hold out hope that Smith can be the answer.

2. Why Fitzpatrick? It's a lean quarterback market -- no saviors -- but he appealed to the Jets because of his background in Chan Gailey's offense. In three years with the Buffalo Bills (2010-12) in Gailey's spread attack, Fitzpatrick posted some impressive numbers, including 71 touchdown passes. He had the accuracy and quick release to thrive in the scheme -- or so it seemed. Soon after signing a $59 million contract extension in 2011, he became a turnover machine and ended up getting cut after the 2012 season. But the point is, he knows Gailey, he still can win some games and -- let's face it -- Andrew Luck isn't walking through the door anytime soon.

3. When you're a team in transition like the Jets, it's important to have a guy in the quarterback room who can speak the language of the playbook -- besides the coach, of course. Fitzpatrick's knowledge of Gailey's system will help the offense, especially Smith. Hey, Fitzpatrick attended Harvard, so we have to assume he's a smart cookie with the ability to provide intel. Said one AFC personnel executive: "Never underestimate the ability of a veteran who knows the system that can mentor and teach the younger players and be a resource. There is a value to that."

4. Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, got an up-close look at Fitzpatrick. He won't blow you away with his arm strength, but he can direct an offense and get out of trouble if pressured. He was benched after nine games last season and returned to the Texans' lineup when Ryan Mallett was injured, leading to the game of his life -- a six-touchdown pass gem against the Tennessee Titans. His bugaboo is turnovers -- 101 career interceptions and 54 fumbles (24 lost). He finished the season on injured reserve with a broken leg. Obviously, he'll have to pass a physical for the trade to be finalized.

5. Why trade a draft pick when he probably would've been released? The answer is money. Fitzpatrick is due to make $3.25 million, relatively cheap in today's market. It would've cost the Jets another $1 million or so if they had signed him as a free agent. Plus, we're only talking about a pick in next year's draft, which could increase to a sixth-rounder based on playing time.

6. A question on everybody's mind: Does this preclude the Jets from drafting Marcus Mariota? No, but as I've been saying for a few weeks, I don't think Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are staying up at night, dreaming of Mariota. If Mariota falls to No. 6, the Jets would entertain trade offers. Fitzpatrick provides insurance and flexibility."