Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Some of you guys are excited about Ryan Fitpatrick lmao!!!!!!

He is so limited as a QB...........he's a smart QB but has a gun slinger mentality with a pop gun arm and no accuracy. I'd love Fitz back in Buffalo as a backup and start 2-4 games max..........but if comes in and beats out Geno prepare for a 6-10 season at best.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Smith is pretty much garbage. Anyone would be an improvement, and so I am happy they got Fitz. He's not as good as some of the trade possibilities like Bradford, Cutler or Foles. But as time went on it was increasingly apparent none of those trade possibilities were going to work out. FA was also not going to be productive. Best way to look at it is that Fitz is making the most of the available, reasonable options.

And ftr I think Cutler stays in Chicago.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You probably did not notice he played better for Houston than he did for your team. Probably because they have better fans in Houston.

4. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

have fun with matt cassel and ej manuel

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we were 4-12 last year with the coach you just hired.

so 6-10 with Fitzpatrick & Bowles would be an upgrade

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

His role is most likely going to change. I think he actually has the mental capacity to understand that. And this may be the best team he's been on.
    If Geno starts it would mean he actually improved. We'll see about that. Right now until things change those are our options. ANYTHING is better than what seen the last few years and is enough to get excited about.

#186 Walt White, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Freakin' slacker. Dude's probably on the toilet from the 6 gallons of coffee he's drank over the last 72 hours...

Tunamelt likes this.
  8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

regarding the Geno comments, this is his make or break year. I never bash or judge QB's too harshly on their first two seasons in the league. That said Geno has looked pretty bad his first two seasons. If there is a glimmer of hope it's this, the Jets during his two starting years weren't adding players of any note, his offensive line was crap, the receiving corp was pretty much crap and the headcoach didn't understand offense and the GM seemed to be doing everything he could do to lose games for the team.

So it's too early to totally close the door on Geno, But that door is pretty close to being closed and pretty close to being closed and locked. Will he become a decent QB? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet an hours pay on it unless i got really really good odds.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Sounds better than:

11-18 as a starter, 25 TDs v 34 INTs. His 3 TDs in one game is an aberration when you consider he threw 3 INTS on THREE PASSES in another. And he got benched for a dog killer.

_

10. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

Don't understand how anybody could dislike this move. I can understand people not jumping up and joy because it is Ryan Fitzpatrick we're talking about, but he's a solid, smart, borderline NFL starter who we have on a cheap 1 year deal. If Geno beats him out for the starting position, great, we have a young QB whose demonstrated he's a starting caliber QB. If not, Fitzpatrick will be good enough to not lose us games. Might not be sexy, but "game managing" QBs have gotten paid a lot more than $3.5 million

MoWilkBeast, xmscott and Br4d like this.
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

you'd be excited too if geno smith was the alternative.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I was very underwhelmed by this, but his stats tell a different story. For the cost of a conditional 7th round pick, this was a very good move. Never been much of a fan, but I think he's a very good stopgap or backup. I am now holding out hope that Mariota is in the cards.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Ouch.

_

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm not sure people are expecting him to turn into Peyton Manning but he's not the worst QB the Jets could have gotten. He's a guy who knows the system, can help mentor Geno who also seems like a good fit in Gailey's system) will have some pretty good weapons. It's not an oh shit we're going to the Super Bowl move (not that one could have been made) but it's an ok this team is serious about improving move.

15. john law

john law New Member

Wow, really surprised about some of the negative comments. At least this guy improves the level of play at the position and has familiarity with our OC. Geno has been the worst qb in the league for 2 years, if he improves this offseason and beats out Fitzpatrick..great..if geno still sucks, at least we got a guy who brings an average level of play to the position...plus, what pro bowler was out there this year??

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Just a honest reflection here...

Who else is better in the open market right now?

He is going to earn $3.25M this year, and someone like Matt Moore may make the same or a bit more. We basically used the free 7th rounder we got from Chicago for Fitzpatrick.

Unless there is a elite QB out there on the market (Brees is unlikely) it is not happening...So it was the right move for now.

xxedge72x likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's critical that the Jets do their homework on Winston and Mariotta right now. Neither may even be available to the Jets, but if one of them were, the impact on this team's future is so tremendous that the decision should be academic on how to handle it.

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Mariota is unlikely to make it to #6
    ESPN's John Clayton essentially guaranteed that the Redskins would take Oregon QB Marcus Mariota if he's available at the No. 5 overall pick.
    Clayton said there's no way Mariota would last until the Jets' No. 6 overall pick. "(Redskins owner) Dan Snyder might not think there’s quarterback issues, (but) Jay Gruden and everyone else in the front office thinks there’s quarterback issues," Clayton said. It's not a surprise the Redskins' revised front office is already questioning Robert Griffin III's future in Washington, but this will be a moot point if Mariota is a top-four pick, as expected.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So Snyder's going to be okay with the Front Office overruling him? When has he ever conceded in his life

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Frankly, it might be another one of the dumbest moves in that franchise's long tenured Snyder run.

They lost Orakpo and won't even look at Fowler or Beasley? Why not even look at RGIII again? A guy you mortgaged the farm for...