Jets sign Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 10, 2015.

1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Does this mean the church thread will be unlocked now?

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

as someone who has been advocating for this move for 2 straight offseasons, i couldn't be happier!

it's a year late, but we move forward.
    just weakened the most hated rival, while greatly strengthening our biggest defensive position of need..

also puts our new coach in very good position to succeed on Defense, which is still the bread and butter of this team.

well done Mac! welcome home Revis!!

#402 BacktoQueens, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Diabolical_Jet_Fan likes this.
  3. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

My point wasn't about looking back or criticizing Idzik.

I was giving an example of how easily money gets wasted on lesser players, and saying that I don't mind them paying Revis 2 or 3 M above market.

4. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Wow, this offseason has vastly exceeded my expectations. 10 days ago, who on earth thought Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis would both be Jets. This is just awesome stuff. Was he expensive? Of course, but we had the money and he is a premium talent. We are not getting elite QB play next season, but with a vastly improved roster, we might be very dangerous if we can even get competent QB play.

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

The only possible way we get elite QB play is if we draft Mariota or Winston, and they end up lighting it up.

6. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

The Patriots will counter by signing Ted Ginn Jr and have him go deep on Revis.

Rex Ryan must be pissed. And I imagine so is Bellicheat. Revis gave the Patriots a championship secondary that he really relied on.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This is in the other thread, but this is a hot Revis thread so would be nice to get more eyes on this :D

Check out my Revis - Coming Home video when you guys get a chance...Made it for all of us Jets fans!

devronnyj and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it will be funny to see all of the guy who fawned over him and then hated him when he left go back to sucking his balls again.

luckily i always thought he was amazing and didnt shit on him for doing what he needed to do. he worked the system like very few guys i have ever seen do it. absolutely amazingly. he could almost write a book on how to toy with the nfl brass and make as much money as possible.

9. Jets4eva9011

I don't blame Revis that much, I blame Idzik and/or Woody for allowing him to go to NE in the 1st place.

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Dolphins fans are relieved LOL. Revis is a pain in the ass with the Jets but a difference maker with the Cheats.

11. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I look forward to the New York Jets doing business with Mr. Revis. hopefully this agreement will be beneficial for both parties involved.

and boy it would be pretty fuckin awesome if they got cro back too.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

sorry if this has been mentioned already..

if i'm reading the contract right:
    2015: 16M (guaranteed)
    2016: 17M (guaranteed)
    2017: 15M (6M guaranteed)
    2018: 11M (not guaranteed)
    2019: 11M (not guaranteed)

We can cut him after 2 seasons, and only absorb 6M dead money if needed.
    so we aren't locked in long term..

but if he's still effective while aging, his cap number comes down quite a bit.
    makes it reasonable to keep him, or even experiment with a FS move after 3 years..
    there is no large up front signing bonus to prorate over the 5 years. it's straight up.

the way it's structured, i'm thinking he's here all 5 yrs, and maybe retires a Jet.

very good move by the Jets in terms of talent.
    and i'm impressed with the way Mac structured it to make sense for both parties in the long term, while also giving us a way out.

Jets Esq. likes this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Lets hope he is great and this he retires a Jet and basically worth his paycheck

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

He's not going to retire a Jet, let's hope that he plays more of the best years of his career before his agents make him not worth the hassle

15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I can't stand the way Revis handled his business his first go around here. I REALLY liked him in his first few years because he seemed quiet, focused, team-oriented, and like the type of player that wants to identify as the face of a franchise. Over the years that gradually eroded away in my eyes and I said f*ck him.

He's still a great player, this is an incredibly fun moment as a fan, and I'm really happy to have him on the Jets even at the insane price point, but my affection for Darrelle Revis going forward will always be for how good he is on the field, not for what he could potentially have meant to the franchise (IMO) both on AND off it had he not conducted his business the way he did in his first stint here. Without all the contract crap, he legitimately could have been the Don Mattingly/Pat Ewing of the Jets in my view.

And here's the other thing - Rationally, I don't blame him one bit for prioritizing the monetization of his skills above all else, because he works in an industry that will use you up and discard you with the coldest of emotions. The extreme to which he took it just didn't, and never will, sit well to the emotional, fan-side of me.

GreenfiendNYJ and NYJalltheway like this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I said it three years ago, and I'll say it again. You cannot win (in any sport) if your best player and/or highest paid player is a malcontent. It never works. Ideally, your best player is a explicit leader, but if he's a quiet guy you can win with a team full of role player leaders. You cannot win with your best player being a malcontent. Revis has been a malcontent almost his entire career.

17. Jets4eva9011

Revis may be a complete headache when it comes to the contract side of things, but by all accounts, he's always been a leader ON the field. He's not a cancer or malcontent.

Poeman likes this.
  18. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Snatch Catch likes this.
  19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

He's not now, and never has been, singularly focused on winning. Kobe Bryant is a major league a-hole by all accounts, but he's always been singularly focused on winning. Ray Lewis killed a guy, but he was singularly focused on winning. Anybody who holds out for money is not singularly focused on winning. This guy did it twice. Three years from now, everyone will hate him again.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: