Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

As will I. Hated him last year yet was rooting for him each and every game day.

2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Yeah let's wait for him to be Vinny or Plunkett. LOL

3. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Again, who did he have to throw to? First season: NOBODY. Second season: a lot of injured guys and very few targets that could take the top off of a defense. It'd be nice to get some consistent pass blocking and serious, consistent targets for any Jets starter to throw to.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

We shall see....

5. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

??

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Geno will be just fine under a real coaching staff.. not that joke of an offense we've had (offensively) the last few years. I trust Geno under Chan, more importantly in a spread offense. As long as nobody is limiting geno to 3-5 yard passes he'll be fine. He's a natural born slinger not some game managing robot.. If for some reason he's still not good under Chan.. well he put that on himself.

7. Scoop24

Scoop24 Member

It's funny you always claim people don't know anything about football if they don't agree with your opinions . But some of real NFL scouts and players like Chad Pennington say the Jets would be better off continuing with Geno development . Considering the options available and his stage of development.

So are you saying you know more about football than them ?

#327 Scoop24, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I am not speaking for Big Blocker. Read that article and Chad is very knowledgeable. I venture to say he hasn't seen all of Geno's game like most of us on the board. I base my opinion on what I have observed and as a Jet fan since 196o. I have seen the best and the worse of our team. I have read experts opinions on (far to) many make or break players. They are at best correct 50% of the time. I respectfully disagree with Chad and all the "so called experts". Geno falls (to me ) in the mistake box with Idzik and Kotite. If he plays as always I will root for him and more than likely get to hate him (as a player) even more. JMO

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who do you think the Jets should bring in at QB?

10. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

If he doesn't have better pass blocking and consistent receiving threats, Joe Montana in his prime wouldn't make the Jets offense significantly better. The Jets haven't had a solid OL or receiving threats since 2010. It's embarrassing how hard it seems for them to draft quality OL or WRs. The 1st and 2nd round whiffs have been significant, but they haven't really done anything with the late-round picks either.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

If Mariota falls to us we have to take him. If we aren't planning that route than we have to either trade or sign the best available QB out there (even if it means Sanchez). We than can draft a QB in the latter rounds and let him develop on the bench. We have a FO that HAS TO give our team a better option than just Geno. I can't see playing Geno while a QB sits on the bench. The very least we can do is make the QB competition a fair one and not just give the job to anyone. If Geno wins he plays but it should be on a short leash especially if he keeps making the same old dumb ass mistakes.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Even Smith Fans have to admit that with Vick not coming back, the Jets are not going to go into the season with Smith and Simms the only Qb's on the roster. They have to add someone else.

#332 Big Blocker, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  13. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

No, we don't have to take him. Everyone here has Mariota as this "sure thing" when he's not played in a pro-style offense. So, basically, you're advocating drafting a guy who has the same pedigree as Geno only spending even more draft capital on him. I definitely agree that the Jets need a QB competition and that the winner of the competition should be on a short leash because it's looking like we're shoring up some major holes.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

This will be Geno's make or break season. The FO is setting him up for success by bringing in Marshall, and they can truly evaluate whether to make a long term commitment to him next offseason when it's time to negotiate a long term deal. If he can't get it done with these weapons around him, he's gone, and we can draft a QB next year. There is no reason to draft Mariotta now, except to appease those who want and expect failure year after year.

15. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I agree. And, really, these people are the same people who say "why tie up resources in WR without a QB..." Well, because a football team actually needs them?! Regardless of what QB you have you need productive players at the skill positions. You're hamstringing your offense--and your QB--if you don't have them.

Jetaho likes this.
  16. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

My prediction is that he'll end up managing a Cinnabon in Omaha, best case scenario.

FlaJet likes this.
  17. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Haters gon' hate, I suppose. Cause, really, what are YOUR prospects? Fries or Shakes?

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't get why everyone in the media ASSUMES Geno Smith is going to be the Starting QB for the Jets. It makes NO SENSE at all. They are like "Marshall and Decker are good, but Geno is QB so it won't matter." I am missing something here. There is nothing that keeps him at QB besides the team choosing him to. A free agent QB or rookie could easily beat him out. I just don't get it.

19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

The notion is/was that they had used a 2nd rounder on him and needed to determine if they had anything before letting him go. I suspect the new regime won't have those worries. But I also don't think that just anyone can beat him out. but, we will see I suppose. I don't expect that they will be going into training camp with just Smith and Simms.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm in total agreement with you on this except for the part about Sanchez. I'm hoping and praying for Mariota, but think he probably needs to sit for at least half this season, and more likely the entire season. If Geno wins a competition with a vet they bring in, fine, but competition should be brought in imo, but NOT Sanchez. He is not the best option, and imo you just don't go back. Once a player leaves the team, that's it, you don't bring them back unless they're just re-signing with the team to retire a Jet.

Personally, I like Matt Moore or Shaun Hill. Hill has a LOT of experience with different teams and probably different systems and would be a great mentor for Mariota. Moore is younger and could probably play longer if necessary, but he has good experience in various systems and would also be a good mentor. If Ryan Fitzpatrick becomes available, I think he probably would be the best option because he has succeeded in Gailey's system before, is VERY smart and would probably be the best mentor for Mariota.

FlaJet likes this.