Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You realize you keep changing your position.

So,we should not sign anyone who has a large ego? Or what is too large an ego?

Ftr I don't think Revis is an egomaniac.

2. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but he probably is the reason NE made it to the Super Bowl. He raised the level of play of that defense a notch or two; even if he's slipped a little bit (which I doubt), his presence on the field still raises the play of his teammates, and causes the opposing team to game plan for him. That changes everything...improves the pass rush, changes the approach of the opposing offense as to where they throw the ball, etc....

...as for your last point, I'll trade you 10 common players for your Joe Namath rookie card. Deal? :cool:

3. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Changing my stance on what? I've said from the beginning that everyone involved deserves some blame. The day I stick up for Woody is a long day away.

And obviously every player or most has some sort of ego but Revis is a different animal. Plus we all know first hand the headache that he caused here. And like I said that was tolerable when we were one of the best teams in the AFC.

It's not that way now.

I wasn't changing my stance on anything. I can see how some fans don't hold a grudge against Revis for going to the Pats and think Woody blew it. There is some truth to that I'd guess. But if people don't think revenge on the Jets was a reason Revis went to New England then they just don't know the pro athlete mindset.

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

and they probably can---2 or 3 years from now. Ha ha.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He won't be worth it in 2 or 3 years. He's marginally worth it now and only because the cap has jumped $20M over the last 2 seasons.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

We did not miss much on DRC, Said it at the time and he was a dog as expected. I think we bid for Davis. He just wanted to stay where he was. If we do not get a guy (or two) in FA then it will probably be the draft. I think they will sign a good corner in FA, not a Revis.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

That may be true. But we are talking about Revis here. And some fool GM will overpay. All this lah-de-dah about Revis being the reason they won the SB. No. The D was lined up to give up 31 points until Carroll/Bevell brain farted. And Revis was hardly challenged having to cover that Seattle twerp, who still ran him into the referee to get a TD pass. Brady and that SOB Edelman (who I like a lot) were most responsible, but they still only won because Seattle handed it to them.

8. Big Blocker

First you said Revis personally insulted you and me as Jet fans by going to NE. Then you said it was awful of him to play for our division rival. You also said he is an egomaniac, apparently for having tried to negotiate better terms in his contract.

You're not making sense.

9. Big Blocker

Geez, really? You know that Seattle would have still lost a game they could easily have won if someone like Walls was playing for NE instead of Revis?

I wish i had that talent.

10. irishwhip03

Makes perfect sense to me.

I guess when I'm trying to explain that side to someone who thinks he isn't an egomaniac for holding out the training camp of his rookie season and then again 3 years later comes across as "not making sense".

What doesn't make sense to me are Jet fans who were just rooting hard against this guy a month ago are now ready to break out their #24 jerseys again.

Not a surprise players don't respect fans.

11. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

You guys take this stuff personally? It's like people would rather not win then have certain players on the team. Who gives a sh*t that he played for NE and was greedy etc? If he helps us win, I don't care. So he doesn't respect fans because he doesn't act how you want him to act?

Does anyone like that he held out and was out for the money? No. Bbut to not want him back and take it personally to the point of not improving the team, that's crazy. If you don't want Revis strictly from you think there is more value for the money, I get that 100%. But to not want him because he played for the Pats and held out.....

Big Blocker and BacktoQueens like this.
  12. irishwhip03

I don't take it "personally". I haven't spent money on this franchise in many years. But it bothers me. Maybe it's because of 4 straight losing seasons. Maybe if Revis was 25 Id think differently. Maybe if we were close to a Super Bowl id think differently. But there's no reason to go down this road right now other than headlines. And we know Woody loves his headlines.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think players would be less likely to respect fans who call them an "egomaniac" for merely trying to put themselves in a better position financially than those that are loyal fans of their team.

14. irishwhip03

How about playing for what your agent and owner agreed on until it's time to re-up your contract? Crazy thought I know.

Scary how fans will defend guys that have more money then me and you would be able to spend in 2 lifetimes.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

look at the situation..

Justin Houston was tagged, and while i'm very interested in Bulaga, there is no elite OT available.
    so which elite OLB or OL would you suggest?

there may be an elite CB available though. If Revis hits the market, he's the top FA this year along with Suh.

We have no CB currently on our roster which we can trust to start.
    I'd like to think Milliner, but coming off an achilles injury, who knows when he'll be ready.
    it's the biggest hole on our team outside of QB.

Then there's the coaching philosophy.
    Bowles has already said his defense is dependent on quality CB play.
    at least good CB's are needed to defend. an elite CB allows you to both defend and attack.
    you can essentially play a Cover 2 on the deep field, but only utilizing one Safety. that frees up another defender to double team, blitz, or do whatever the situation calls for.
    it's a lot easier to call a defense when you are ahead on the numbers game.
    would take pressure off our Safeties, and enable our Dline to be even more effective.

So based on who's available, what our current needs are, our coaches philosophy, and the cap space we have......I'd say adding an elite CB might just be the single most impactful move available to us this offseason.
    and taking a guy like Revis off the Pats doesn't hurt either.

#215 BacktoQueens, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am just objecting to remarks that Revis brought them a Super Bowl. You might as well say that anyone in the lineup did.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right you are. My bad. My apologies to Falco, you and the rest of the board.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with your assertion that every team in the league is in a "win now" mode if by that you mean that every team is going "all in" on the 2015 season. I think you're right in that each team hopes to win as many games as they can and tries to do that. That doesn't mean that they make foolish decisions however and rush players onto the field who aren't ready, wildly trade away draft picks, or overpay for older, more expensive FAs. Teams may play semantics games and say they are "re-tooling" rather than "rebuilding", but I think each team has an idea of whether or not they are truly competitive, and if so, how long that window exists for them, and if not, how long it will take them to get to that level.

I think your scenario is not very realistic. For one thing, I don't think Revis will still be playing at a very high level in 4 more years. He's already what, 30 or 31? He will get increasingly slower and more injury-prone. Meanwhile, players are getting faster. Revis has never been the fastest CB, but I think he will soon reach a point where even his savvy, instincts and film study won't be enough for him to stay up with some of the young, fast receivers coming into the league. For another thing, you speak as if bringing Revis and Cro in will guarantee that Milliner and McDougle will learn from them and become solid starting CBs in 3-4 years. That's even if that pair stay healthy, which is far from certain. That's why I think the smart thing is to bring in at least one younger CB who the Jets can reasonably expect to help the team for 4-5 years. I think they'd be lucky to get 2 years out of Revis, and I for one wouldn't want him mentoring our young CBs. For all his knowledge and skill, his attitude is not one I'd want my young players emulating.

I also disagree with your notion that in signing Revis the Jets could just forget about the position for years. We've already seen that it doesn't matter one whit if your #1 CB takes out the other team's top WR. The better teams have multiple receiving options and they'll just beat you with those other options. It would be much better imo for the Jets to have two very good outside CBs and a very good slot CB, than a great (to use your words) outside CB that could shut down the opposition's #1 WR, and then have two good to average CBs playing alongside with him, and perhaps a mediocre FS.

For another thing, the Jets desperately need DBs who can create TOs to help their D get off the field. You forget that isn't a strength of Revis'. He may shut down his man, but rarely comes up with TOs. That's not what the Jets need.

It seems to me that you're just focused on and caught up in having a HOF CB on the team, rather than looking at the actualities of the Jets needs.

#218 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Red Menace likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

Let me try this from a different approach.

There are players and coaches I admire for I guess you could call personal reasons. Let me take John Elway as a favorite example. I greatly admired how he changed his game as his career progressed in a positive fashion, improving his overall performance, not giving up despite the SB losses, until he finally prevailed, at which point it must have been even better to have done so than if the game had been easier on him earlier on, and then going out on top. But all along, observing that happen, I was never a Denver Broncos fan. And it was not lost on me that part of my admiration was that he succeeded. Meanwhile and despite my personal admiration for his story, I have no idea whether he makes a good neighbor, or friend, how he treats his wife and family, even if he'd be a good guy to have a drink with. So in other words while it feels like I admire his career for personal reasons (and not because I was a fan of his team), those personal reasons are not the ones I would necessarily have for personal friends of mine.

Then there are people we as fans of the game admire for their sheer ability to succeed even absent the compelling case I saw in John Elway or anything else you could call a personal reason. You can think of countless people in that category.

But when it comes to the members of the TEAM I root for, I have long felt that there are some I admire for personal reasons who succeed, and some who I am happy to have on the team for their performance even if I don't admire anything particular about them on a personal level. Right now my favorites are Nick Mangold and Chris Ivory, the first because he just shows up and consistently does a great job with humility and humor, the second because he simply never gives up.

But are they the only players I root for? No. Like Decker, who seems to have come here for the money and to somewhat advance his wife's career, which is nice of him as far as she is concerned, I suppose, but doesn't mean shit to me. Still he catches a pass, and I am all for it. Or take Colon, who seems like a very interesting guy, sense of humor and all that, and he pisses me off with his penalties. Oh wel.

A recent rather obvious case for this discussion was when Jason Taylor played for the Jets for one year. I used to hate him. An obnoxious taunting quotable member of the hated fish.But then Miami cut him, the Jets signed him, and putting aside just how much or little he achieved, I thought it was kind of cool to see him trying to help the Jets, and I certainly was hoping he would. Yet I knew he was still the same guy, just with a different uniform on.

I trust I have made my point.

20. Big Blocker

I saw those remarks and interpreted them to mean he helped them win the SB to a significant extent. Tis being a team game, no one player wins it all.

I don't think NE would have won the SB if they had not signed him.