Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Woody should stick to politics of which I heard he sucks at.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I just wanted to focus on the Woody part of this info. So, Woody is now involved in personnel decisions of this sort? I think I need more info before I can get a handle on this.

If it's Mac and Bowles want Revis, know the history with the Jets, and they want to run it by Woody, to get to know that Woody would not oppose that move, that would be one thing.

If it's Woody saying "bringing back Revis would be a high profile move, let's do it!", I would have a problem with that.

So, is this coming from the football people, or from our learning on the job owner?

3. Big Blocker

Yeah, you said it much more briefly than I did.

4. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

But my namecalling friend, Revis contracts don't actually tie up future cap money, since they only last one or two years. And, of course, I said that it wasn't the ONLY motive: It brings back Revis Island to Todd Bowles' defense. I doubt he'd be complaining.

Please at least TRY to read someone's entire post, comprehend what they are saying IN TOTAL, before you start calling them names, you fucking ignorant buffoon!! (with all due respect)

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

must average 89% over 4 years or back pay.

we were near maxed out in 2013 and had something like 85% filled last year by seasons start, we need to spend a decent chunk of money but don't need to top out (leaving like 10-12 mill left would be fine)

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's not about the player it is about the position. the rules get receivers open and shutting down one single receiver doesn't disrupt the offense enough to be worth that cost if the other receivers get open.

Paying OL, D line, LB top price has significant more impact on driving offense and defensive success IMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

As we explained in a previous post, the Jets have to dole out some serious cash to stay in line with the league's minimum-spending requirement. Their cash payroll for 2015 and 2016 needs to average about $141 million to remain in compliance. To hit $141 million this year, they'll have to raise the actual payroll by more than $60 million.

So if they don't spend it this year it's even more they need to spend next year.

8. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Who knew we had a cadre of John Idziks on the board? "Don't keep Harvin, he costs too much...Don't sign Revis, we only have $55 mil in cap room..."

WTF, why try to have any mismatches in the Jets favor on either side of the ball, while, again, weakening the SB champions in your division?

Because I hate Revis.
    Because it cost too much.
    Because Bowles wouldn't want it.
    Because you just can't weaken the Pats...

None of these notions make any sense.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

how the hell was 2013's cap threshold so low? I recall it being higher…

10. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm so fucking sick of people saying we are far away from being contenders

no shit, we are far away because you don't want us to sign impactful FAs. i love how everyone keeps clamoring for kareem jackson or byron maxwell, but probably haven't seen either of them play. byron maxwell is overrated and i'm not afraid to say it and kareem jackson only came into his own this year

JoeyStylez likes this.
  11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I don't think we should keep Harvin but wouldn't care if they signed Revis

12. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

All the great Jets teams in history have had exceptional running attacks; and actually gave the ball to the ball carrier.

$55mil

New oline, Demarco Murray, Wr depth (not $10mil on harvin), any corner but Revis, depth at linebacker

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I would give up 15 mill of cap space to not sign Revis

NCJetsfan and JetsVilma28 like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Woody, stay the fuck away from football decisions.

15. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Without a good quarterback, this team's future is 4 - 12 no matter who they sign.
    Apparently the owner has learned nothing and the new management is worthless if it can't address the real problem with this team.
    I'm good with that, but I was hoping the AFC East would actually improve.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I personally believe Woody needs to sit the fuck down and let the GM / HC take care of business. Revis or not.

17. Big Blocker

Yep. I know there's a lot of cap space. It was evident that the secondary last season was almost as much of a sea anchor on the Jets' prospects as Smith was, and the secondary can be fixed with some money. But until there's an upgrade at Qb, the ceiling for this team is rather low. Probably a realistic landing spot is six wins.

Unfortunately the FO doesn't have too many options. But there are some. I just have no reason to be confident they will pull it off at this point. Makes it hard for me to get excited about this off season.

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Try responding with something like "I disagree with your opinion. I believe it would be better to utilize that money by signing a few good players versus using that money for only one good player" rather than calling someone "clueless" or that their opinion is as "dumb as a stump".

Consider this as an open warning for everyone

BacktoQueens and Clark Gaines like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just can't compute someone being OK with spending that kind of money on a CB that will be 32 when he wants a new deal. Are we winning a ring in 2 years? No, we may not even make the playoffs for two years unless we address the MANY problems. Spending $14 mil on Revis, maybe more, hampers our ability to do that the best we can.

I really, REALLY don't want to lose faith in this regime so early on, but it looks like we may have to start calling him Maccagnenbaum if this story is true.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Murray had 449 touches last season. That's why the Cowboys aren't re-signing him. They knew he was coming up on his walk year and they got every touch out of him they could with the intent to let him go at the end of the season.

He's very likely to never have another season that approaches what he did last year and 50/50 to collapse next year from the overwork in 2014.