Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Cutler is not shitty. He is overpaid, but that doesn't mean he's shitty.

But I don't think he's going anywhere, so...

Smith sucks, though.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Look, I get as a Geno apologist you will point fingers at anyone and anything to defend your guy.

All the reasons and excuses real or imagine you want to point to for Geno's deficiencies aside, the PRIMARY reason Geno was bad was because of Geno.

All of your excuses are contributing factors--well most of them. The PRIMARY factor in all of it was Geno--not the circumstances around him.

We're still good.

_

#302 JStokes, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    TNJet likes this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I get it, U like GeNO but it is absurd to cut Mangold (all pro center) To cutting a terrible qb like GeNO which I never said but would love.
    But hey if your right about Geno doing it ( I can't see it ) than bingo for you and boo's to me.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

No. You don't get it. You post a gif of Geno walking to the line and Mangold prematurely snapping the ball, as some proof that Geno sucks. Is that on Geno? Mangold? Both? My point was that maybe Mangold is at fault for that play too, so we should cut him as well under this gif-based analogy of yours. In addition, maybe we should cut Decker for a drop, Ivory for a fumble, and SRich for jumping into the neutral zone. I'm fine with someone who gives reasons why they don't see Geno as being a long term answer, but your post was lazy and stupid.

Geno's salary/incentives TOTAL less than $1 million this year, and he played pretty well the last 4 games of the season, and exceptionally in the final game against the Fish. He's been in the league two years. He's still learning the pro game. He could still turn out to be good QB - Maybe not a franchise QB. Why give up on him when the potential is there for cheap? Cutting him won't save us money. It won't free up a roster spot for someone with more potential. We can still draft Winston/Mariotta if the CS doesn't believe in Geno or views either of those guys as a special talent. My point is that cutting Geno will not make us better - It only appeases the idiocracy within our fan base.

Scoop24, elgoman and FJF like this.
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Geez, cutting Smith is such a red herring.

By definition, Smith Fans do not know much about football. He sucks and the odds of him eventually succeeding are between slim and next to nothing.

TNJet and FlaJet like this.
  6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

"It only appeases the idiocracy within our fan base..."

People need someone to hate, to scapegoat. Why not Geno? He certainly fits the profile...

7. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

U don't get it. It was gif showing Geno said nothing about cutting anyone. You chose to add cut Mangold. It's a two way street with the majority of the fan base wanting the turn over machine gone. So U don't get it the majority does.

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

He feeds the profile..

9. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

sure...he's a second year player with a crappy pass-blocking OL and virtually the worst cadre of receivers in the NFL for the majority of his tenure. yeah, that's ALL on him...and his profile.

elgoman likes this.
  10. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Do you have any proof of this majority or is it just the fans who scream the most?

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FlaJet likes this.
  12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

13. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I'm kinda digging the picture. Can you make it bigger?

14. Scoop24

Scoop24 Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...notes-analytics-marcus-mariota-and-qb-chatter[/B]

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You do not give up on Smith you evaluate him just like any other player. I personally have not been impressed but I also hope he takes the next step. He has to prove it or win the Job.

You do not cut a player especially as cheap as Geno until you have a replacement.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Your right the QB party line is strong. They are right about the fact he has all the physical abilities. Every QB that made it to the NFL has the the physical abilities (Geno probably has more than average) or they would not even be looked at. What they fail to mention is the mental aspects on being a successful NFL QB. GeNO has not shown this (he KEEPS repeating the same mistakes over and over). LOL about 3-5 years, which is acceptable if the QB has shown continual growth. By that time the O line will be over the hill. I know many of our fans say he will be OK as a backup I don't think so. Last year he wasn't very good at sitting on the bench I remember seeing an uninterested bench warmer. Does anybody remember him being different? Didn't he even miss a meeting while not starting?
    We have to replace him, leaving him as the only option until another QB is ready is pure folly.
    JMHO

18. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

IF he does prove it he deserves it. What kind of proof should we hold out for? I for one don't want to see us sucking ass for another season with GeNO at the helm. If we can't do any better than what we have at QB than our new FO has not done the job it was hired to do. I personally would hate to hang my managerial future on GeNO. Again this is just my opinion.
    If the NFL teams did not cut players because of cheap contracts it would be a very sorry ass league.

19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

"LOL about 3-5 years, which is acceptable if the QB has shown continual growth." Or is a number of QBs: Vinny Testaverde for one, Jim Plunkett for another, who play for shitty teams and then mature into very serviceable QBs down the road.

The guy has had two seasons with teams that had (and still have) significant offensive deficiencies beyond his inexperience. Fix those, for him or whomever. Because until you do, you'll be saying the same thing about the next guy that you've said about the last three Jets starting QBs.

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

You're right: the intangible aspects separate QBs at this level. Testaverde only really put it together in 98, after almost a decade in the league. It's also worth noting that in his first two years, he put up TD:INT ratios of 5:6, and 13:35, respectively. Pennington came into the league as a Rhodes scholar finalist, and had time to learn on the bench. Bringing this back to Smith, it's unfortunate for him that the league isn't where it was 20 years ago. He might have had a chance at a being a good player in the 80s, maybe even into the mid 90s. But, presently, QBs have to get the intangibles down ASAP because they're asked to start immediately. All this is to say that Smith may never get the chance to develop into the player that Pennington and Testaverde think he could be, because Smith has yet to earn himself that opportunity.

That being said, in the unlikely event that Smith somehow ends up at the starting QB, I'll be rooting for him. After all, he's wearing the right laundry.