Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

The time to do this was last offseason, when he wasn't coming off of winning a super bowl with a team I despise with every fiber of my being.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You could say that about every single player that will be signed this offseason though. That's the name of the game in FA. Every single player, that is a FA, that is worth anything at all in this league will sign a contract that looks over-inflated.

Contracts go up and up every single year and it's not getting any smaller. The only players who's worth exceeds their contracts are the players that are on their rookie contracts.

The Jets have $55 m in cap space, they have to spend some of it and sign veteran players. To sign any FA they are going to have to overpay someone. I'd rather they overpay a great & consistent player like Revis than overpay a mediocre player or an inconsistent player.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I truly hope our owner stays the fuck away from flowing down requirements on specific players, and that we now have a GM that will not overpay for Revis, a very good player but by no means the All mighty difference maker that people think we need.

We need to work free agency systematically for younger talent on the way up, both at corner and FS, and not get trapped into the Revis " come and get me I'm available BS sweepstakes"

It will be interesting to see how quickly the Pats will tell Revis to take a hike, do what they can to protect their FS, and hope the idiot Jets overpay for the services of a contributor, but by no means the great difference maker he once was.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My understanding is that by league rule they have to spend every bit of the $55 m, not just some of it.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not in favor of bringing Revis back but given the choice above, I'd take the former.

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

mccourty and revis?

or is to much money to lock up in our dbs

7. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Hmmm, IS there too much money to spend to weaken the Pats secondary as much as these two departures would, while making our secondary Rex Ryan Defense worthy? I don't think so!!

nyjetsknicks247 likes this.
  8. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

This would be a dumb move in my opinion. I would much rather go after Maxwell who would come cheaper and is a lot more younger than Revis. I don't know why Woody is so obsessed with this idea. I mean it's intriguing for about 5 seconds, but then reality and common sense kick in and you say no thank you. In all seriousness though Maxwell should be the one we go after.

9. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Sorry, I meant "Todd Bowles Defense" worthy!!

10. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

How is getting the best CB in football, arguably, AND weakening your division rival a "dumb" move?

Personally, I LIKE the notion of a short-term contract. It avoids the "hold-out" hostage scenario.

BigSnacks54 and legler82 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because it's stupid. For what the Jets would have to pay Revis, they could probably sign both McCourty and Kareem Jackson, or at least Cromartie. The team isn't going to be a SB contender this season. The smart plan is to build for the future, not go all in on stars and big name/big $s contracts this season. You're just in it for the excitement for a season or two. Mac is trying to build a roster that will be competitive both now and over the long haul. Hopefully, he's able to convince Woody to STFU, stay out of personnel matters, and let him do the job he was hired to do. Then, if Woody is not satisfied with the job he (Mac) has done, then Woody can fire him, but until then, he needs to back the fuck up and shut the fuck up.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Dude, you are clueless. You have no idea how to build a TEAM. Anyone that would rather have one very good player instead of two very good players is as dumb as a stump.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

This team is nowhere near competing for a SB, what would be the point of having Revis here?

14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Revis comes at a premium and should NEVER be considered a long-term solution. But, weakening the Pats secondary ALONE makes signing Revis a good move, imo.

15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Would be such a Jets-like move to bring him back. If this report is true (never know with the Daily News) then Woody doesnt know what its like to be a fan at all. Any Jet fan would have trouble rooting for this guy after he won a freakin Superbowl with our biggest rival the season before. If he comes here its because we are paying him more than any other team.

I rather see the Pats win the next 3 Superbowls with Revis then to see Revis in a Jets uni ever again.

16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

"I rather see the Pats win the next 3 Superbowls with Revis then to see Revis in a Jets uni ever again."
    I don't have that level of animosity for Revis. He's just a guy maximizing his earning potential in a game that throws players away at the first sign of diminished productivity.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

it would energize the fan base & likely sell tix. :mad:

18. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

So you're only motive for getting Revis is weakening the Patriots? With all due respect that's asinine. If you give Revis $15 million+ a year, where are you getting the money from to extend Mo, Richardson, and still address the glaring holes we have? You still need a LG, RT, WR, FS, ILB, OLB, etc. We're not in "win now mode". No reason tie up future cap space for an unnecessary signing.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You can't front load contracts with revis, just ask tanny

20. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Jeezus WTF is wrong with you? No true Jets fan would EVER wish something like that. Please go root for some other team, we don't need your bad juju.

Look guys, it would have been better signing Revis last year, I agree. But it still makes sense to sign him now if they can. Jets have to spend $55 million, per league rules, and they're not going to land EVERY FA target, so why not? There's ways to do it, and it wouldn't keep the team from filling other holes as well. Of course they shouldn't go ridiculous, but it can definitely be done. And a true Jet fan would WANT it to be done, b/c it makes us better and weakens the Pats. Make no mistake, Revis was the reason they won a SB.